Not open for further replies.

thunderous71

Daddy
Aug 4, 2011
Surrey
www.thunderous71.com
I ride a
Mt-09
Hi all, just some advice sort from anyone owning and using After Effects.

I currently have 8gigs of ram and an i5 processor, now to speed up renders and allow more preview space would beefing up just the ram do or will I need to swap out the i5 for an i7 also?

So to put it bluntly will doubling or more the ram make that much difference without an i7 upgrade?

Thanks all

WibblesHD

Wannabie Member
Apr 4, 2012
I ride a
CB600FY Hornet
thunderous71 said:
Hi all, just some advice sort from anyone owning and using After Effects.

I currently have 8gigs of ram and an i5 processor, now to speed up renders and allow more preview space would beefing up just the ram do or will I need to swap out the i5 for an i7 also?

So to put it bluntly will doubling or more the ram make that much difference without an i7 upgrade?

Thanks all

I think it would help, the processor would obviously do more than the ram but as long as you boost the amount of ram available to after effects I think it allows it to store more frame textures in memory.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/284 ... me-effects

jetjackson

Wannabie Member
Feb 17, 2012
Europe atm
www.thegreatgallivant.com
I ride a
F650 GS Twin '08
I am using an i5 with 4 gig of memory... I am restricted to rendering about 20 seconds of 720p max atm not because of After Effects though. I am using pefect render settings and so the file comes out just under 2 gig for 20 seconds. Then I have to take it into Sony Vegas to render and compress the file. If it is bigger than 2 gig on my computer vegas crashes and I get the old red screen of death. So for that reason I am limited in AE by my limitations in Vegas.

I went through awhole bunch of tutorials ages ago to try and find better render settings to make smaller files out of AE but it really is extremely bad at rendering and compressing for low file sizes. I can get 20 times better quality out of vegas for a 10 meg file than a 250 meg file out of AE.

Those are my issues, when I get home after my huge trip (I kind of never intended to start video blogging, it just started with a point and shoot and now I am addicted) I plan on buying a really nice DSLR for filming and buying a damned awesome audio recording device, plus a seriously beefed out desktop for editing, running dual monitors, dual cuad core xeon processors, 24 GB of memory... oh yeah! This thing wil be like a wood chipper that eats editing up!

Spacep0d

Wannabie Member
Sep 7, 2012
SoCal
www.YouTube.com
I ride a
Nicely-modified 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 which I've dubbed a ZX-3R.
After Effects CS6 for me is virtually unusable, mainly because of the showstopper Wacom bug where it hangs up the Wacom with every render. I haven't used a mouse for anything but First-Person shooters since like forever, so I can't really use AFX till this is fixed.

I tried Vegas, but it's buggy. Sometimes, it won't render the beginning audio (then I have to totally re-render) and its rendering is far less efficient (it seems) than Premiere CS6, but I love the titler and such in Vegas. I like Vegas' hotkeys and such too.

I'm back to Premiere CS6 which is great for me, but I would like to use AFX when that Wacom bug is fixed. I know Premiere and AFX are different, but I guess I'll deal with Vegas till AFX is fixed, at least for FX.

My computer is a dual-Xeon hexacore. 24 cores, 48GB of ram. ;) I use it for 3D as well though, so it's a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts