Serious Accident After 6 Months Riding.....

Semper

Wannabie Member
Nov 3, 2014
Scotland
I ride a
Suzuki GS500E

STRONG LANGUAGE sorry !

This is a small accident first and only accident :) would like your thoughts how this could have been prevented :)

I also take note that this is my error and an inexperienced one but I have put it to bed now and feel like it is time to share with the community :)

MiGlyRides

Geordie-Aussie
Jan 5, 2016
Gold Coast, Queensland
I ride a
Honda CBR 500 RA & Honda MSX 125 (GROM)
It looks to me like a lack of concentration / Hazard Perception, it seems like you were distracted by the guy closing his gate and didn't see the brake lights come on, on the car until almost 2 seconds after they came on.

Did you tense up? (your arms mainly)

Did you snatch the brakes instead of steadily increasing the pressure on the brakes?

Go to an industrial estate like you've said you do and practice emergency braking without locking up (or engaging ABS) keep your arms loose or you'll make the bike unstable.

Also if you don't mind a dry read, look at getting "Mororcycle Road craft - The Police Rider's Handbook" it has some really good stuff about all sorts of things. It tought me so much!

I'm trying not to cover things that have already been advised (advanced corses) etc.

Semper

Wannabie Member
Nov 3, 2014
Scotland
I ride a
Suzuki GS500E
yes I pulled the front brake too hard remember this happened 6 months after my full license test ive been riding a year n half now I have since adjusted the braking sense and started using more back brake along with slight front brake here in the UK you have to do a MOD 1 and MOD 2 and the MOD 1 covers the emergency brake and avoidance parts and I did them fine enough but I admit lack of concentration on my part a stepping stone the issue since this accident is that the leaning I don't have issue with the braking it was immediately fixed since the accident and I have relished on that side of things and can stop more suddenly than before I just don't know why this has affected my leaning pattern is all....

MiGlyRides

Geordie-Aussie
Jan 5, 2016
Gold Coast, Queensland
I ride a
Honda CBR 500 RA & Honda MSX 125 (GROM)
It's good to hear that you analysed it yourself and worked on what happened to improve your breaking :) I would say take it easy but still try to learn and improve & I think that a decent advanced riding course will help you get your confidence with your machine back up, I can't speak for the clubs that are in the UK however I know Lurch has already mentioned a few.

Do you know what it is that is stopping you from pushing yourself, is it lack of confidence with the bike itself or with your abilities since the accedent?

I used to have issue with leaning with my bike, until I got my mate who's an instructor to ride my bike, first he showed me how I ride (how far I lean over etc) then he rode it like he rides and was leaning over so much more which give me the confidence to push myself because I now know what bikes and my bike especially can do.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts