This is why you shouldn't use "free" youtube music.

DMotovlogs

Sexiest Motovlogger Alive
Apr 24, 2014
Toronto
I ride a
2003 Vstar 650
Glad you posted this Shirou. Now I know to stay away from Youtube's music. haha. Sometimes I get lazy and just don't feel like searching 20 minutes to find the perfect song. It's somewhat tempting to use those easily available tracks they already have.

Am i the only one to not monetise my account, that way i get to use all the songs i want :p
And CBRHoonigan, you really get to use any song you want? I honestly thought that even if you aren't monetised your vids can still be taken down for having them... Can anyone confirm this? I am kind of confused on that rule.

Shirou

京平
Sep 20, 2013
Argentina
I ride a
Honda XR250 Tornado
Ninja EX250J
The problem with the "free" music library is that the licensing from the music owner can change at any time, maybe tomorrow, maybe next year, then youtube has no more rights over the tracks they let you use for free and the new owner of the rights can claim copyright infringement on the video you used the music in.
Youtube doesn't care and don't give a f+++ about small channels. I ended up deleting the video in question because it was stuck, couldn't play it back or download or change the audio or anything. The only options I had was aknowledge the claim or appeal and I couldn't appeal because youtube wanted my cell phone number.

When you monetize your channel, you get a slice of ad money for showing them into your material. If there's a claim on a video, the copyright holder gets all the money from the advertising and your video remains online but with ads even if you like it or not and you get no money from your material.
If you don't make money with your videos, you get a claim and ads are placed the same way, like it or not and again you get no slice of the cake.
If you complain and fight back, youtube can give you a copyright strike and when you get 3, your account is closed.

Some copyright holders are denser than others, they may, at their choice, put their ads on your vid an make money or ask youtube to take your video or account down.

Copyright on youtube is a very complicated matter, if you don't care about losing your channel or if you want to make money with your material, make sure you don't get even close to any copyrighted stuff. Any problem with youtube and the ridiculous content ID and they immediately stop the cash flow to your account. Solving such problems can take months and in that time you get no money even if your video is still online and receiving ad clicks.

Reactions: DMotovlogs

DMotovlogs

Sexiest Motovlogger Alive
Apr 24, 2014
Toronto
I ride a
2003 Vstar 650
Thanks for the thorough explanation, and for replying so quickly. I actually went through all of the rules and terms which took me a while; and they word it so formally. Its hard to know what they actually mean. And it is true what you say about them not giving a single sh*t about the smaller accounts. Anyways, thanks again :)

CBRHoonigan

#1 Hoonigan
Apr 20, 2014
West yorkshire uk
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Anything with 2 wheels, ride it like you stole it.
All i have to do is aknowledge its someone elses music whih usually puts thelittle link to find to buy it online and maybe put ads on some of the videos, which i dont mind really small price to pay for using any song i want, and i havent had a copy right stright yet.

FloridaOutdoorAdventures

Wannabie Member
May 10, 2014
South Florida USA
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
All i have to do is aknowledge its someone elses music whih usually puts thelittle link to find to buy it online and maybe put ads on some of the videos, which i dont mind really small price to pay for using any song i want, and i havent had a copy right stright yet.

where do you recommend to get free music other than yt? thx

TriumfAnt

It was good while it lasted
Jan 20, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800XC
I dont need to use free music, my account isnt monetized i can use anything i please

YouTube doesn't care if you're making money or not, they can still hit you with a copyright claim. More often these days you just have to acknowledge the claim and ads will be placed on your videos and the copyright holder will receive any money. There's always the chance that they will give your site a copyright strike.
I think most copyright holders are realizing that it's easier and more profitable to accept that people want to use their music.

TheDutchTexan

Wannabie Member
Jul 2, 2013
I ride a
bicycle...
I have played with the idea of using YouTube music in my cars and coffee videos. But, I feel that music, any music, takes away from the experience. I like it RAW. Especially the drive-by videos.

TriumfAnt

It was good while it lasted
Jan 20, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800XC
Weirdly, I used copyright music on one video and all's been well. Used royalty-free music on a couple of other videos and I had copyright claims.
I deleted one and challenged the other. I won :)

CBRHoonigan

#1 Hoonigan
Apr 20, 2014
West yorkshire uk
www.youtube.com
I ride a
i dont get how its unfair, i mean fair enough if you make money from them, but ill happily say yes this is their music youc an buy it here, its more advertising for their music

Reactions: TriumfAnt

RoninK6

Rogue Samurai
May 14, 2014
Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.A.
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2006 Suzuki GSX-R600K6
Does anybody remember VHS tapes back in the day and it being court-okayed to record TV onto them :eek: ??? What's ever happened since then :( ? I know stuff now-a-days is almost original-quality, but still :/ .....

CBRHoonigan

#1 Hoonigan
Apr 20, 2014
West yorkshire uk
www.youtube.com
I ride a
I remember Wacking the vhs player then blowing on the tape to try and make it play so it wasnt fuzzy, it became an art form of hitting it in the proper place to make it play clear

87Slabside

Wannabie Member
Jun 20, 2013
the Netherlands
www.youtube.com
I ride a
CBR900RR '95
I mostly use music from: https://www.youtube.com/user/teknoaxe Never had any trouble with it. Although it sometimes takes a while to find the perfect song. There are a lot of channels who post free music where you don't have any trouble with monetising. If they file a claim just get the permission license document from the website and paste it in the reply to the claim.

Termi

SHABBA!
Jul 12, 2014
Portsmouth
I ride a
Yamaha YZF R125
I have thought about using the YT music but had my cautions about it, now my suspicions are set to rest because of this crap! Will just use the tracks on my PC, I don't plan to do any montizing from them so idc, I just say yea tracks ain't mine.

OlliePrice

The Friends of Ollie
Sep 16, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800
Does this honestly surprise anyone? Everything is copyrighted, even Fonts. When you download a font to be used on your videos, make sure they allow it for commercial use! This can usally be found on the website or on the READ ME file that comes with them. Unfortunately music ain't so simple, who owns the copyright is the question you need to find out!

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
I got a copyright claim on a CCA track i used, but was a copyright troll. Quick YT search shows the guy is a complete pest, yet YT do nothing about it.

So 3 strikes and we're out, should be a similar rule for over-turned claims by trolls.

The track my troll tried to hit had it in black and white on the linked page, and he also put it down as a different name to the actual artist, and a google of that suggested the name he used as an artist was just someone who registered on SoundCloud. I suspect that it may even be him, but I have zero proof. The guy is called Streammer, and has taken it right to the wire with some gamers where the music belongs to the game publisher and they're quite happy for game footage to end up on YT.

AndyManCam

www.youtube.com/anymancam
Feb 26, 2014
Hamburg
I ride a
Versys 650
I have used a couple of YouTube library tracks, but I've stuck to the classical tracks as I think the composers are unlikely to change their Licensing with YouTube! I know that the copyright also counts for the owner of the recording also (every song has two copyrights), but I'd like to think I'm safer with the classical compositions.

But even then, I only used them because I had nothing of my own to use. I have also used dig.ccmixter.com. They have lots of songs with creative commons licences allowing commercial use as long as you 'attribute'. Hence the times in my vids when the title, author and download location pops up on screen. Also the licence states that after you've used the track, the owner can NEVER revoke your entitlement to use that track. Safe.

On another tangent... Once in my own music channel, I created a video of one of my own songs. I wrote it. I performed it. I recorded it and I published it. Yet YouTube wouldn't let me monetise it because they weren't convinced of my right to do so! Even after I wrote to them and said all the above! They are an in-accessible impersonal behemoth of a company. But are also a vehicle for sharing our shizzle! Rough with the smooth I guess.

As a musician I do appreciate the minefield of copyright ownership. I also have a little sympathy as I'd like know that if somebody users one of my songs on a video and makes a substantial sum of money from it, YouTube MIGHT see to it that i get my share. Unlikely, but you got to have a dream!

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts