Serious Lane Splitting Super Close Call

Red One

Wannabie Member
Jul 28, 2014
Southern California
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2007 YZF R6
Check out my lane splitting close call. Scared the crap out of me and pissed me off at the same time. Shit got real really quick in this one.

Im new so if you dont mind SUBSCRIBING and spreading the love.

Thanks in advance,
Red One

Reactions: Declan

TailDraggerCessna180

Wannabie Member
Aug 9, 2014
Seymour,Tennessee
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2003 LS650
Dang that was a close one. That is stupid that lane splitting in cali is "legal" because it's not illegal type of thing. To me it would make more sense to make officially legal or illegal so people would know and for accident purposes.

flybmw

Wannabie Member
Nov 16, 2014
Kazakhstan
I ride a
Suzuki VanVan RV200
Dude, you yourself putting yourself in such a danger by speeding in this what looks to be extremely risky situation. But sure, a very dynamic and cool video. Just don't jeopardise.

biker1968

Mistar Biker
Oct 2, 2014
Kent, United Kingdom
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSX 1250 FA 2014 plate
Firstly, well done for quick counter steering and not getting yourself squashed... Here in UK we can lane split anywhere and anytime (just about).
Our road layouts are some what different but you were coming up to what we would call a slip road, no way should you try to go on the inside of a car that close to the end of the slip road...because as you said in your video...they are not trying to deliberately hit you...the speed you were going she did not really stand a chance of seeing you (crossing yellow line or not).... Bikers have to forward plan, car drivers don't tend to. Slip road, traffic slowing, brakes lights coming on... c'mon man these are all indicators to slow down or stop filtering..... I reckon you know this now (Kudos...) as I detected a slight hint of sheepishness in the subtitles.... Main thing you survived....live, learn and keep riding my friend.

Reactions: Riding Japan

Red One

Wannabie Member
Jul 28, 2014
Southern California
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2007 YZF R6
As stated below...
I reckon you know this now (Kudos...) as I detected a slight hint of sheepishness in the subtitles.... Main thing you survived....live, learn and keep riding my friend.
Yeah I know now. Good words bro. As far as the police, its not worth the time and effort. I believe both I and the driver learned some shit that day. I still haul ass in the carpool lane, but when the traffic is out, I take it down a notch!

malJohann

Wannabie Member
Oct 29, 2014
I ride a
KTM Duke 390
Personal opinion, you were going too fast for the situation and are lucky to not be injured/dead right now.

As a rule of thumb, I work on a difference in speed principle, in that I don't go 30kph (roughly 18mph) faster than any lane of traffic next to me.

Our reactions as human beings are only that quick, and the rules of physics is absolute, so give yourself enough time to react and you will be okay.

On top of that, smacking something at 30kph (the difference in speed) is likely not as serious as doing it at 60kph.

Cagers do the unexpected, so please slow down, give yourself time to judge each cager and time react before you pass them.

ShadowBoxer

Wannabie Member
May 13, 2014
Los Angeles
I ride a
BMW R100R Roadster
Yeah that was close. As they say: 1. Never ride faster than you skill level. 2. Never ride faster (cover distance) than you can safely brake.
However you survived and did not crash. Here it seems you obeyed rule 1.
You might also consider that a bike is often moving a lot faster than a driver realizes. The driver may have seen you coming but thought she had time to move over. If she saw you she probably had no idea you were moving that fast and would be on her that quick.

The fact that your adrenaline got pumped indicates that you JustBarely got through that. The problem is not your skill as a rider as I see it. The problem is your focus as a pilot.
You seem to be looking for where you can place the bike and make faster progress with little attention to what other vehicles MIGHT WANT to do. There are other vehicles out there and they are often only thinking about themselves. Not you. Relying on a painted stripe or two or the good driving of other people for safety is not a good idea. That's you putting your safety in the hands of total strangers. And as we've seen, often incompetent drivers are not up to it.

In reality Your safety is not Their responsibility. Food for thought.
Stay Aware & Take Care

ShadowBoxer

Wannabie Member
May 13, 2014
Los Angeles
I ride a
BMW R100R Roadster
Thanks Dan,

Three more comments to vlog launch! : )
Hope I can think of something good before the week is out!

Oh Fuque.
I just noticed a typo. I hate that I can't correct posts after 5 minutes....

superaar99

Wannabie Member
Oct 7, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I ride a
BMW F800R
Great save, she did cross a double yellow but it seems you may be pushing it splitting at those speeds. Glad nothing happened and you got home safe.

chix

Bike Chick
Oct 30, 2014
Texas
ridestandups.com
I ride a
2015 Grom
She was at fault crossing the double yellow, but if I were a person in a car changing lanes in traffic like that - you were going too fast and I would not have seen you from that far off in a sea of headlights. I would have thought it was clear when I looked.

Main reason why I don't and am not interested in lane splitting. Too many variables, and too many drivers not paying attention in normal situations. Much less angry in traffic.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts