• Total voters

Shirou

京平
Sep 20, 2013
Argentina
I ride a
Honda XR250 Tornado
Ninja EX250J
Superview is a gimmick that compresses the video vertically. It just breaks the aspect ratio.

Hondaha

Wannabie Member
Sep 26, 2014
I ride a
2005 Yamaha Zuma - 1997 Honda CR125r
I always record at 60fps just in case something cool happens and I want to use some slow-mo for a video.

AndriFlyHi

Ride Daily. Fly almost everyday.
Sep 21, 2014
Chino, CA
I ride a
Yamaha R6 2001
While I shoot nearly everything in 720 @ 60 FPS, you've got to weigh a lot of different factors when choosing what settings to use when filming. I'm a HUGE cheapskate, so I'm not gonna buy a newer camera, and I use a GoPro Hero HD (the original), so I've don't have as many options as those who have a newer camera, but the same basic principles apply.

Shooting at higher vid quality means more battery drain and more space taken up on memory cards/ hard drive. Considering the fact that I get about 1 min per hour of useable footage, this is a major factor for me. Next is the FPS...Shooting at 30 FPS allows more light into the shutter giving better results in low light conditions, which isn't a big deal for those in California, Hawaii, Arizona, or anywhere with lots of sunlight and very few shadows. Those of us who film in areas with lots of shadows/ low light may end up with very dark or unusable footage is we are shooting in 60 fps and low light. This is something that I've had to learn the hard way.

I typically render everything at 720P and 30 FPS for youtube anyway, so there's no real reason not to shoot that way to decrease the raw footage editing in the end. That being said, as I stated earlier, I typically shoot in 720/ 60 so I can slow things down. If it's raining or low light, I shoot in 1080/30 so I can zoom if I need to.

I hope this helps, but I doubt that it will. If you want to see examples of my work, look at my youtube page (Mustache Assault Cycle). everide also shoots in 720/60 and he's got a TON of followers. If it works for him, there's no reason why you can't get youtube famous doing the same.

A lot of great information here, thanks ! This isn't even my post and I'm excited to read all the comments! GREAT TOPIC VLotoMog!

Reactions: lightitup

hungabustavlogs

Wannabie Member
Aug 25, 2014
Standing creepily behind you...
I ride a
CRF 150 R Expert

CRF 450 X
Superview is a gimmick that compresses the video vertically. It just breaks the aspect ratio.
I feel the same way and I really don't like the way the extreme fish eye looks for vlogs.

Superview is actually pretty neccesary for dirtbiking as there is a lot more head movement than on the road and because your sitting more upright it's hard to get the bike in frame without angling the camera at the ground, and then it's just annoying because your eyes always want to look up when watching the video. I know it's just dynamically stretching the video but it saves the trouble of doing it manually :)
Also I suppose the fisheye effect would be worse riding around town but for when your riding offroad it's awesome.

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
I filmed my latest 2 vlogs in 60fps and I definitely won't be going back to 30.

thezattack

Wannabie Member
Oct 2, 2014
Arkansas
I ride a
2016 Suzuki drz400sm
Superview is actually pretty neccesary for dirtbiking as there is a lot more head movement than on the road and because your sitting more upright it's hard to get the bike in frame without angling the camera at the ground, and then it's just annoying because your eyes always want to look up when watching the video. I know it's just dynamically stretching the video but it saves the trouble of doing it manually :)
Also I suppose the fisheye effect would be worse riding around town but for when your riding offroad it's awesome.
Huh? Never thought of it that way

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
Why what was so much better about it?
Fluidity of motion, clarity and lack of blurring etc.

For fast moving action I don't think I could stomach using 30fps after seeing the glory of 60.

30fps will be fine for panoramas etc, but 720p60 is far better than 1080p30 imo for the motion in moto vlogs.

Shirou

京平
Sep 20, 2013
Argentina
I ride a
Honda XR250 Tornado
Ninja EX250J
Superview is actually pretty neccesary for dirtbiking as there is a lot more head movement than on the road and because your sitting more upright it's hard to get the bike in frame without angling the camera at the ground.
Maybe you don't have the proper wide-angle lens. Think about it. To get more of the scene around you into the frame you need a wider angle. The camera is handling the angle of the lens by choosing what part of the sensor to use for the video. Instead of using the full sensor area, it is cropping it or skipping pixels and averaging to give the illusion of a wider or narrower lens. It is all done in software and your camera calls that "Superview".

For fast moving action I don't think I could stomach using 30fps after seeing the glory of 60.

30fps will be fine for panoramas etc, but 720p60 is far better than 1080p30 imo for the motion in moto vlogs.

If you get blurring, check your encoder/video editor settings. There shouldn't be any. Make sure "frame blending" or anything that sounds like that is NOT selected.
50 and 60 FPS has been around since ages ago. And movies are still shot, processed and played back in 24fps. And people still enjoy them in such a low frame rate. And nobody is saying that there is a lack of smoothness in the moving parts. If the pro's and the industry chose such a low frame rate, there should be a reason, and there is, it has physiological effects.
Even though current technology is capable of 120 and 240 FPS, it is not being (and won't be) used in movies because there are key parts of the whole movie experience that would be lost.
Some TV's carry a 120+Hz gimmick that magically invents frames to fill up from 24 to 120.

hungabustavlogs

Wannabie Member
Aug 25, 2014
I ride a
CRF 150 R Expert

CRF 450 X

I used to shoot 60fps for everything but now it makes me nauseous to watch it.
I don't know why but 30fps just seems far more natural.
Also I want to try and minimise youtube streaming bandwidth requirements so 30fps for me it is :)

hungabustavlogs

Wannabie Member
Aug 25, 2014
I ride a
CRF 150 R Expert

CRF 450 X
Maybe you don't have the proper wide-angle lens. Think about it. To get more of the scene around you into the frame you need a wider angle. The camera is handling the angle of the lens by choosing what part of the sensor to use for the video. Instead of using the full sensor area, it is cropping it or skipping pixels and averaging to give the illusion of a wider or narrower lens. It is all done in software and your camera calls that "Superview".

What do you mean I don't have the proper wide angle lens? It's a common problem for all dirtbikers and superview fixes it. It's not about the scenery around me it's about getting more of the ground and sky in frame. When you shoot in 16:9 it's taking a 4:3 area of the sensor and cropping it to 16:9 so obviously you keep the width and loose height. The problem with that is when you are dirtbiking you really need more ground and sky in the frame to help your eyes watch the video. So the obvious answer is to shoot in 4:3 thus retaining the height however all technology in this day and age is made for 16:9. So the problem then becomes how to stretch the 4:3 out to 16:9 without cropping and loosing the height. And the answer to that is dynamic stretching which works brilliantly however it requires a lot of extra time in editing. Here is how to do that: http://abekislevitz.com/43-gopro-footage-explained/ . Now gopro isn't hiding the fact that all superview is is dynamic stretching http://gopro.com/support/articles/what-is-superview . So basically I don't care if gopro calls it superview or whatever else they want to, the bottom line is it saves me a lot of hassle and does exactly what I want it to :)

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
If you get blurring, check your encoder/video editor settings. There shouldn't be any. Make sure "frame blending" or anything that sounds like that is NOT selected.
Nope, it's not that.

A 30fps recording WILL absolutely blur more than 60fps as, by definition, the sensor is receiving light for double the amount of time at 30fps, and therefore motion will appear slightly more smeared.

It's just the way video recording works, and is also why 30fps is better for low light as more light can enter the sensor.

Taking a 60fps video down to 30fps at the rendering stage results in a markedly sharper picture than filming directly at 30fps on the GoPro's.

Arctic Pride

L Plate Member
Mar 3, 2014
I ride a
lot of different things
make sure you guys aren't talking about post rendering bitrate starving...

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
To clarify, I'm purely talking about the capture side of things, before an editing application is even opened.

Shirou

京平
Sep 20, 2013
Argentina
I ride a
Honda XR250 Tornado
Ninja EX250J
Grrr, I want to throw a wall of text here but there is no internet in clown island and I'm on my phone. It is madness to write on a phone.

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
I know your pain, but remember in your wall of text I'm only talking about the RAW footage, nothing to do with editing.

Fuz

Wannabie Member
Oct 8, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
I ride a
2006 Suzuki Intruder VL250
30fps. But mostly because I can't go any higher on my Drift Ghost HD. On the other hand, 60fps might chew up too much battery and SD card space anyway.

Marbro_za

Dan's princess
Mar 13, 2014
I ride a
Yamaha fz6
I shoot at 720p 60fps.
Got a 32gb card, and 2 8gb's as backup .. if i need more than that. the vlogs too long.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts