YouTube's new rules

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
So, they now have claimed the right to monetize your video but give you none. This means anyone with less than 1000 subs and not part of the program will have ads on their videos for youtube's cash flow, but you get nothing for your creative content.

Here is a quote from their most recent terms of service:
"YouTube’s right to monetize: YouTube has the right to monetize all content on the platform and ads may appear on videos from channels not in the YouTube Partner Program. "

Reactions: R-Rated

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I think this has been a thing for awhile actually? I've had viewers tell me they've seen ads on some of my videos even though I'm not monetized.

Reactions: R-Rated

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
There was a thread about this, when people started getting this info. Based on the title, it was on the 18th month of last year :p

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
This has been going a while now, but I imagine it takes a while to email everyone, so maybe it has been rolled out slowly.

Just remember, YouTube is a free service, so you are already getting hosting for free and access to YouTubes viewer base. It costs them money to host your videos.

I also think it is a push to get more people to subscribe to YouTube Premium, which I must say I enjoy, but am not sure if I enjoy it enough to justify the cost. I have been using YouTube Music a bit more recently which is also included in the cost, so it is getting better value for me.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I think this has been a thing for awhile actually? I've had viewers tell me they've seen ads on some of my videos even though I'm not monetized.

It has been. Whether they chose to run ads or not was hit and miss.

Upside is that they are referring to the revenue as "royalties". Makes me feel like a rockstar!
DAVID-LEE-ROTH-FEATURED.jpg

Reactions: Baldbiker

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
I had 3 emails from YouTube in the last 48 hours, same email with their updated T&C's.

Deleted.

Am I alone in thinking it's their platform and they can make the rules? The days of making any decent money from YT are long gone I reckon. Unless you're Google. So I don't care if there's ads on my content other than it might annoy any viewers who watch my stuff.

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
I received that email months ago.

But I will say the days of me sitting for a few hours watching vids is long over. 2 min of vid 2 commercials, 3 min of vid another commercial. Frustrating as a viewer to be bombarded with ads every 2 min unless you buy the premium. I have YT tv as it was cheaper than cable but the price keeps going up, and now they want me to buy their premium too?

UncleL

Uncle LongBeard
Feb 29, 2020
Midlands, UK
I ride a
HD, W800, RE
As Pete said - they are giving you the platform for free, so it makes sense that they can make money on it...

But you can always use adblock... And even if you block all the ads you can still support your favourite creators by buying their merch or by patronite or whatever other option they offer ;)

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
This should end the debate on whether to monetize your content (if you are eligible) or not, once and for all.

Just. Mon. It.
I have the views but not enough subs ... yet, but they're coming. Then I'll see ... I always said I wouldn't but then my channel has evolved and continues to do so, in to something different to initially planned. I was told this would happen. Still loving it and enjoying the journey #justmonit is a good hashtag LOL

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
I never really have a problem with ads while watching vids because I use ad blocker. Im sorry for the creator who wont get revenue because I didn't see the ad, but other than that I love it. The only drawback to ad blocker is some websites (usually crappy spammy ones that I shouldn't be going to anyway) wont allow me to view the article or whatever unless I disable it. Which I wont, so I just move on.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Here is a quote from their most recent terms of service:
"YouTube’s right to monetize: YouTube has the right to monetize all content on the platform and ads may appear on videos from channels not in the YouTube Partner Program. "

This was so since the first ads they placed. They just worded it differently once or twice, due to changing monetization rules etc.

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
I just received another email. I think this is the tenth one in the past two weeks. It is non replyable so Im just setting all future emails from Youtube to JUNK

Reactions: Drakhen99

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts