Status
Not open for further replies.

Jestington

Wannabie Member
Oct 24, 2011
Preston, Lancashire
I ride a
HONDA XL700 Transalp
I'm looking at getting a satnav soon ether a purpose built motorbike one, or a car one and put it in a waterproof holder (Givi do one for £20).
Is it worth paying the extra chunk for a bike one or not?
Thank you.

Chuckles85

Wannabie Member
Nov 9, 2011
I ride a
FZ6N
In my opinion, not really. I have a Bike GPS unit and it's more for the features it has that the ability to get you from a to b. If cost is a big factor for you then go for a car unit like a cheap tomtom one and the £15-£20 cover. Then you can get a USB lead to charge the unit with and attach it to your bike for another £20, saving you around £150 (ish).

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Honda Hornet - With Beast Of A Micron Exhaust
You can get a map for a fiver. They don't come much cheaper than that :)

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
All deends on what you want.

Ive got a Garmin Zumo 550

Wired to the bike and ive added my own splitter into the cable so i can remove it when needs be.

Downside is there around £450 new & £300 2nd hand.

I had a car one but just wasnt what i wanted. Look into it heavily.

Chuckles85

Wannabie Member
Nov 9, 2011
I ride a
FZ6N
I love my tomtom urban rider, but for people on a budget, who won't use it often / on a long journey (like a france tour :p) then a car satnav will suffice I believe. You can hook you phone through many satnavs along side a bluetooth headset, giving you access to your phone. I would recommend the tomtom urban rider if you want a bike specific satnav. It's simply cost vs. function.

Jestington

Wannabie Member
Oct 24, 2011
Preston, Lancashire
I ride a
HONDA XL700 Transalp
Chuckles85
I love my tomtom urban rider, but for people on a budget, who won't use it often / on a long journey (like a france tour ) then a car satnav will suffice I believe. You can hook you phone through many satnavs along side a bluetooth headset, giving you access to your phone. I would recommend the tomtom urban rider if you want a bike specific satnav. It's simply cost vs. function.

The tomtom urban rider isn't to bad on cost. Does it come with a bike mount or do you have to buy it separately for power?

Chuckles85

Wannabie Member
Nov 9, 2011
I ride a
FZ6N
the charging mount is an extra cost, its something I am looking at getting now, I found it online for £42 at the moment on a quick search.

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
Road signs and a basic understanding of a map is all you'll ever need.

Chuckles85

Wannabie Member
Nov 9, 2011
I ride a
FZ6N
That's fine till your travelling in forgeign countries with unfamiliar roads, place names and welsh spelling :p

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Honda Hornet - With Beast Of A Micron Exhaust
Chuckles85 said:
That's fine till your travelling in forgeign countries with unfamiliar roads, place names and welsh spelling :p

Welsh spelling looks the same on road signs as it does on the map. :) I'm afraid you'll probably lose this one, me and Friz are firm map fans.

Mikesmotorbike

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Guildford
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2001 Aprilia Classic 50cc (2009 - 2012)
2009 Rieju RS2 Matrix pro black edition (Dec 2011 - July 2012)
2001 Yamaha FZS600 (July2012 - January2013)
2005 CCM 404E (April 2013 - present)
Can't remember where I saw it , but one vlogger just had a car GPS floating around in his tank bag (along with phone and any thing else that would grab your attention) ^.^

Chuckles85

Wannabie Member
Nov 9, 2011
I ride a
FZ6N
Chessecake94 said:
Chuckles85 said:

Welsh spelling looks the same on road signs as it does on the map. :) I'm afraid you'll probably lose this one, me and Friz are firm map fans.

I have seen your "I'm lost I think it's this way" vlogs :p That's the last thing you want when your out with your partner in the rain trying to get to your hotel in the middle of no-where. You turn around to her look at her to see her giving you "the look" and you say; "I don't know where we are". I can see the rage taking over her little face and the bed won't see any fun times that night for sure. You can keep your map :p I'll keep the other half happy :p

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
It's always nice to know that your Satnav can go into europe aslong as you have the bike to do it on.

But I highly doubt the Garmin 550 would get any bad reviews it was designed by bikers. & More or likley the TomTom Urban Rider.

Depending on where your wanting to go.

My dad said why do you want a Satnav you never go anywhere. Well I never had the Satnav to take me. P.s he hates the things. But he's never moaned when I used maps on my Iphone and got us out of a Scotland vilage.

if you want a satnav that will last a very long time practicall wise.

Garmin Zumo 500 (onwards)
or
TomTom Urban Riders

There the only two satnavs with bikers inmind.

Also depending on your budget. My first ever satnac was a Garmin Nuvi 1310t. I bought the same pouch as Thatmanfromyorkshire, it worked but was for me unpractical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HippoDrone General Discussion 20

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts