What are your preferred Gopro settings?

akhapun

Wannabie Member
Oct 13, 2020
I ride a
Yamaha XSR
I just recently got my Gopro8 and I want to start motovlogging hopefully in a couple days (if weather permits).

For audio - I'm using the media mod with a purple panda microphone. I attached the microphone near the nose piece and put the dead cat wind suppressor on it. Is the the dead cat required for inside helmet mounting or would I be okay with just exposed mic?

For video - this is the uncharted territory for me, from what I read online it seems the 1080p Wide view 60FPS is an easy but efficent setup. Does anyone have any better recommendations? Do I need to adjust white balance or anything prior to riding?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
On my Hero 8's I use the old microphone adaptor rather than the Media Mod, was too much of a PITA to change batteries with the Media Mod. I have a deadcat on the in helmet mic on my dirtbike helmet, on my road helmet I have not bothered with an extra deadcat.
As for settings, I currently record 1080/60 in superview on my road lid and 1080/30 in superview on my dirt lid, everything on auto, but I switched the sharpness down to medium.
I am considering switching to 2.7k, but it uses the batteries faster and more memory space, so poss gonna stick with 1080 for now.

Reactions: R-Rated

Ponkster

Wannabie Member
Aug 30, 2020
I ride a
VN 1500 rat sidecar rig and a Yamaha FZS/R1/R6/ other hybrid rat bike called "Rattus"
I run 2.7k /24 on all my cameras - it makes editing simple and gives a bit of wiggle room to crop down if needed in post. I switch between wide and superview as Im still undecided which I prefer . I use gopro colour and I think it looks good straight out the camer awhich is one less thing to tweak in editing. On my 'big' camera I shoot video at 1/50 at 24fps .

On the bike I use two hero 7 blacks with a mic adaptor on the 'chin cam' and in camera sound on the other . I sometimes record raw sound with a stand alone sound recorder and lav mic in the rear pocket of my jacket so its out the wind blast .

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
1080p60 is good 2.7 at 60 is a little better. You might need wind protection on the mic inside the helmet depending on your bike and weather.

If you find you like to slow down the footage when editing then you can kick up your framerate for recording.

akhapun

Wannabie Member
Oct 13, 2020
I ride a
Yamaha XSR
On my Hero 8's I use the old microphone adaptor rather than the Media Mod, was too much of a PITA to change batteries with the Media Mod. I have a deadcat on the in helmet mic on my dirtbike helmet, on my road helmet I have not bothered with an extra deadcat.
As for settings, I currently record 1080/60 in superview on my road lid and 1080/30 in superview on my dirt lid, everything on auto, but I switched the sharpness down to medium.
I am considering switching to 2.7k, but it uses the batteries faster and more memory space, so poss gonna stick with 1080 for now.

Have you noticed any audio changes when you use the dead cat or not? Also why do you drop from 60 to 30fps when you do off roading videos?

akhapun

Wannabie Member
Oct 13, 2020
I ride a
Yamaha XSR
I run 2.7k /24 on all my cameras - it makes editing simple and gives a bit of wiggle room to crop down if needed in post. I switch between wide and superview as Im still undecided which I prefer . I use gopro colour and I think it looks good straight out the camer awhich is one less thing to tweak in editing. On my 'big' camera I shoot video at 1/50 at 24fps .

On the bike I use two hero 7 blacks with a mic adaptor on the 'chin cam' and in camera sound on the other . I sometimes record raw sound with a stand alone sound recorder and lav mic in the rear pocket of my jacket so its out the wind blast .

How long can you continously record on the 2.7k I heard it drains battery and storage space like no ones business!

Ponkster

Wannabie Member
Aug 30, 2020
I ride a
VN 1500 rat sidecar rig and a Yamaha FZS/R1/R6/ other hybrid rat bike called "Rattus"
How long can you continously record on the 2.7k I heard it drains battery and storage space like no ones business!
I use a 64g card and have never had problems with storage . I plan my filming rather than recording long sections , so the longest I have ever filmed is about 40 minutes at once . I also have loads of batteries so switching is not a problem . Filming very long sections of film is never a good idea with gopros - if they shit the bed you loose everything so its better to break the filming up in to smaller takes IMO

Reactions: Sai390

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
I run a 256gb memory card and it holds around 4 hours 55 minutes. The battery last about 20-30 minutes. My bike has a power port in the back so I keep two batteries in a charger and rotate them as needed.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
They are both very different setups for different riding, so can't really compare them. My dirtbike helmet has a lot of ventilation ie wind noise so needs more protection from it on the mic.
On the road I ride at much faster speeds and generally in better light, so 60fps works smoother for that. When trail riding, it is normally a bit darker as under trees and a lot slower, so 30fps allows more light into each frame so helps make the videos look better.

Reactions: akhapun and R-Rated

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Filming very long sections of film is never a good idea with gopros - if they shit the bed you loose everything so its better to break the filming up in to smaller takes IMO
All my GoPro cameras have split the footage into 10-15min sections so if it fails on a recording, I'll only lose that section onwards.

Reactions: akhapun and R-Rated

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
All my GoPro cameras have split the footage into 10-15min sections so if it fails on a recording, I'll only lose that section onwards.

Yep and 2.7k splits at 5 minutes and 19 seconds. However, if you have a mic issue, that will be a problem until you have to reconnect the mic for a battery swap.

:confused:

Reactions: HippoDrone

akhapun

Wannabie Member
Oct 13, 2020
I ride a
Yamaha XSR
I use a 64g card and have never had problems with storage . I plan my filming rather than recording long sections , so the longest I have ever filmed is about 40 minutes at once . I also have loads of batteries so switching is not a problem . Filming very long sections of film is never a good idea with gopros - if they shit the bed you loose everything so its better to break the filming up in to smaller takes IMO
That’s a good call. I was going to record really long video and just edit down but that makes way more sense. Do you ever use your phone to start and stop or do you physically just press stop recording?

akhapun

Wannabie Member
Oct 13, 2020
I ride a
Yamaha XSR
They are both very different setups for different riding, so can't really compare them. My dirtbike helmet has a lot of ventilation ie wind noise so needs more protection from it on the mic.
On the road I ride at much faster speeds and generally in better light, so 60fps works smoother for that. When trail riding, it is normally a bit darker as under trees and a lot slower, so 30fps allows more light into each frame so helps make the videos look better.
That’s good to know. Do you apply that principle to riding in cloudy/overcast weather as well?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
No, I keep it all simple. The only time I'd run my road lid setup at 30fps is if riding at night... but I don't really ride at night much :)

If running 6fps, I do recommend turning off auto low light as it causes stutters in the footage as it switches between 60 and 30

Ponkster

Wannabie Member
Aug 30, 2020
I ride a
That’s a good call. I was going to record really long video and just edit down but that makes way more sense. Do you ever use your phone to start and stop or do you physically just press stop recording?
I use my finger and phisically check in the mirror for the blinking light - nothing worse than spending 40 minutes to yourself only to find the camera wasn't on ! As to my phone - I have a dum phone - no interweb - no email - no gps - so no switching anything on or of with it ...... its life changing only having to deal with social media when Im at a computer and Ive never found an app I cant live without !

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I too record at 1080p/60fps in Superview with my Hero 8. I may go to 2.7k/30fps next year instead, I've done some experimenting with it and I both like the image quality better but I also kind of like the feel of 30fps while riding too. I'm not sure why it "looks" better to me, maybe it feels more cinematic? Not sure, haven't decided yet. For now though 1080p/60 is what I use. GoPro color, high contrast, all settings on auto.

Reactions: akhapun

akhapun

Wannabie Member
Oct 13, 2020
I ride a
Yamaha XSR
I too record at 1080p/60fps in Superview with my Hero 8. I may go to 2.7k/30fps next year instead, I've done some experimenting with it and I both like the image quality better but I also kind of like the feel of 30fps while riding too. I'm not sure why it "looks" better to me, maybe it feels more cinematic? Not sure, haven't decided yet. For now though 1080p/60 is what I use. GoPro color, high contrast, all settings on auto.
Sounds good the only thing for me is I'm
Using the side mount and I’m afraid the superview is going to capture a lot more helmet via scenery

Monstrmike

Wannabie Member
Sep 14, 2020
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2014 Ducati Monster 1200
I run my hero 5 at 4k/30 FPS on super view gives 8 min clips, about 1h30 on a 64gig sd card and batteries last about the same, except with the colder weather right now they die quicker

I’m debating about buying either a 7 or 8 for next season

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I am running a Hero 8 with all stock settings, 1080p/60fps Wide view, and the footage is phenomenal when it's sunny out, or even with some clouds. Overcast gets great saturation, if not enough exposure.

I can still zoom in during post if I need to, but the details get lost. I get 60-115 minutes of recording that way, and if continuous recording, it gets broken up in to <12min segments.

I recently got a GoPro Smart Remote, and I can ride for almost 2 hours, recording only what I want, with the camera on and ready all the time. I just reach down to my lanyard, grab the remote, and mash the red button and BOOM! I'm recording. Easy peasy, and it saves a TON of time in the editor. I did a review video on my YouTube channel, including my first impressions, and it was way faster than recording the 2+ hours of riding around the video.

-John

Reactions: HippoDrone

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Quick update, and might be helpful for my fellow motovloggers in colder climates for winter time stuff...

I've been recording a little while on my porch, and I do an overlay of me talking with my own riding footage in the background (to be more interesting?) while I talk, so picture-in-picture. I find that for anything but outdoors, 30fps is key to battle subpar lighting (ie, on a glassed-in porch, or 3-season room), but beware, some resolutions/frame rates record on a GoPro with the HEVC codec, not H.264, and some computers aren't equipped to decode that, so you'll need Handbrake to convert it to H.264. (Pro Tip: In Handbrake, select the Nvideo Nvenc codec for faster GPU-based decoding/encoding - it's at least 5x faster than CPU processing, even with an i7-10750H processor and 32GB of RAM).

Anyway, I've also acquired a GoPro Hero 9, and there's no low-light mode, so you have to change res/fps to 1080/30 or 4k/30 for subpar lighting and change the min/max ISOs... there are plenty of tutorials online for how to do this.

I may do some videos (since it's one of my channel's missions/focii) on how to do this, as winter drags on and I run out of other videos to edit.

-John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CollingsB Camera Setups 11
G Camera Setups 11

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts