What’s more important - Jacket or Trousers?

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
If you don't wear separate protectors/armor, I'd take jacket with proper back protector first.
Then again, if affordability is an issue, consider, will you be able to buy good enough jacket, to cover all seasons. In the long run it would be cheaper than buying multiple, more season specific ones. But you need to pay more at once.

MotoWolfUK

L Plate Member
Mar 4, 2023
Hampshire, UK
linktr.ee
I ride a
Wife
If you don't wear separate protectors/armor, I'd take jacket with proper back protector first.
Then again, if affordability is an issue, consider, will you be able to buy good enough jacket, to cover all seasons. In the long run it would be cheaper than buying multiple, more season specific ones. But you need to pay more at once.
Ahh, thanks! Yeah I was hoping to buy a one-and-done type jacket for all year round. Something more geared towards summer as I don’t mind putting another layer over or under if need be. Okie dokie I’ll see what about and get back to you for an opinion if you don’t mind?

Reactions: R-Rated

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Well I am no expert, so I doubt my opinion has much weight. You will need to think, in what kind of conditions you ride, and look at reviews and promotional videos, of the jackets you feel you might like. Compare the features and pocket designs. Think what fits your habits. What would be comfortable for you.
Regarding all season jackets, you will need to look for something that has separate layers for rain and cold weather.
I would also prefer jackets that have belt loops, but not zippers that only match the same brand pants.

lonerockz

Wannabie Member
Mar 23, 2023
California
I ride a
BMW R1250 GSA, Triumph Tiger Explorer, Yamaha Nmax 125
Jacket with shoulder and back protection. Primarily because the injuries that are possible in the back are much more serious than any likely injury in the lower body. Always wear heavy non-synthetic pants. Synthetic materials like polyester will melt to your skin as you slide. You don't want that.

• Love

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Here is my experience with riding gear in the time of need:

When I started riding it was over 30 years ago and my first highside was on Honda Trail 70 at 55+ mph on a dirt gravel road. The Marty McFly style vest did great in the slide. I wish I had gloves. Those little pock marks on my hands healed up though.

My next crash was several years later from a blowout at 70 mph. I had on a snowmobile suit. It did great when I laid the bike down. My knee gave me aches for years when running.

Then there was the driver pulling out in front of the bike about 10 years after that. I had on leather jacket and chaps. They did great after my body bounced and landed in the ditch. My liver still got a little damage in that one but nothing broken despite getting ejected.

Then I finally got to test impact armor back in 2019 when I got rear ended at a stoplight. It saved me from chipping my elbow when I hit the ground. Did not do a thing for snapping my neck back on impact though.

So as far as gear - torso hits are more frequent for me so far.

Reactions: Theodor

MotoWolfUK

L Plate Member
Mar 4, 2023
Hampshire, UK
linktr.ee
I ride a
Wife
Before they close the tread, what did you get? Just in case other folks are looking too.
I got this jacket for £30 as it has back shoulder, elbow and back protection CE - https://amzn.to/43CrYHg - got it in XXL as people say get 1-2 sizes up so will see

Seems like a bargain!

The jeans I picked ended up saying they won’t come until late next month so I cancelled them and will look again.

• Love

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I think it's great you got something protective for so reasonable price!
You will find things you prefer to have differently, over time anyway. So it will not feel as big of a loss, when you decide to get a new one in only couple of years.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I hate to be that guy... but Amazon is not the place to buy unbranded bike SAFETY kit unless you know the kit already.
Go to a bike shop, try on some kit that is actually sold by bikers. I personally would not trust that £30 jacket on a tumble walking home from a pub on a Friday night of too many beers.
Over at the Route 1066 Cafe nr Hastings, a mate of mine (and in the past a member on here @HYF ) runs a bike clothing shop called Conquerors Apparel, they have a second hand kit rail where you can get some good bargains that people have grown out of etc that WILL be protective in a crash. eBay can also be a good source of second hand, but good quality bike kit too.
I would always welcome people to post questions in this forum asking about kit before they buy, no point asking after as then the money has been spent, I honestly would ride down to you and give you an old jacket of mine if I thought I had something that would fit rather than see you wearing knockoff junk made in places that really do not care about our safety, just our cash... and sadly, they prey on newer riders.

MotoWolfUK

L Plate Member
Mar 4, 2023
Hampshire, UK
linktr.ee
I ride a
Wife
I hate to be that guy... but Amazon is not the place to buy unbranded bike SAFETY kit unless you know the kit already.
Go to a bike shop, try on some kit that is actually sold by bikers. I personally would not trust that £30 jacket on a tumble walking home from a pub on a Friday night of too many beers.
Over at the Route 1066 Cafe nr Hastings, a mate of mine (and in the past a member on here @HYF ) runs a bike clothing shop called Conquerors Apparel, they have a second hand kit rail where you can get some good bargains that people have grown out of etc that WILL be protective in a crash. eBay can also be a good source of second hand, but good quality bike kit too.
I would always welcome people to post questions in this forum asking about kit before they buy, no point asking after as then the money has been spent, I honestly would ride down to you and give you an old jacket of mine if I thought I had something that would fit rather than see you wearing knockoff junk made in places that really do not care about our safety, just our cash... and sadly, they prey on newer riders.
Yeah I’m a chunky fella
That’s a good idea though - I should see what shops are near me and see if they have a discount rack to be fair

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Honestly, drop me a pm with your jacket/trouser/boot/glove size and if I have anything I will ride/drive over to you and give you some old kit if it'll fit for free.

AlanSmith7

Wannabie Member
Aug 17, 2020
I ride a
Suzuki Hayabusa
Harley Davidson Dyna Fatbob
That's great if you are able to buy both but still, if you have to choose between a jacket and trousers then I preferred to go with a jacket its best for back protection but still, if you are buying both then it's great.

Reactions: HippoDrone

TallADVer

Compulsive Hobbyist
Apr 13, 2023
Maryland
I ride a
2017 Honda CRF1000L (Africa Twin DCT)
I know you've already got gear, but since you're looking at jackets, I ended up getting two. A moderately heavy 3-season jacket from FirstGear with liner and rain fly (about $300 USD). And a lightweight summer mesh jacket by Joe Rocket (about $180), also with a rain liner. I bought a single Klim back protector insert to swap between the two. During the spring and fall, I switch between them depending on weather, but once we get into the summer, I will be wearing the mesh jacket pretty much exclusively. I know it's more money, but I'm not sure that a product exists that I would be comfortable wearing all the time (or maybe one does, but at least when I was looking, I didn't fine one in a tall size to fit me). And, knowing myself, if I'm not comfortable wearing a jacket, I will be tempted to not wear a jacket. Which kind of defeats the purpose of having safety gear at all.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I prefer a jacket as it can protect the core of your body from a crash - (armored shoulders elbows and spine) and from the elements - wind, rain and cold. Life would be hard if your arms (hands to shoulders) are broken or deformed), and your spine is messed up. Legs are important, but not as much as everything north of the mid-section.

I‘ve never invested in pants (meaning an armored pair) because I don’t take long trips very often, and they’re not always something you can wear casually all day - especially if you commute to work, and changing out of them isn’t easy or convenient. Taking off a riding jacket is.

besides, everyone will notice a badass looking jacket over pants.

- Wolf

wannaberoa

Wannabie Member
Aug 2, 2023
Norwich, UK
I ride a
A Cut-n-Shut job (i mean Custom) Suzuki en125
Ride for the Slide! ...on tarmac i wont get on a bike unless i have helmet (uk legal requirement), gloves, proper bike footwear, jacket and trousers (even tho i'm a beginner, my wife is a life long biker, (so i listen) and i work in a hospital (so i've sadly seen the results of not following that rule)

to give you an idea tho, i manage to kit myself out for just over £200 for the lot using ebay and vinted (helmet was new though) and its good gear too, Resurgence Bike Jeans with D3O armour from vinted (about £20), TCX Boots (about £20), RST IOM TT Wax Jacket (with CE Level 2 armour) £45, and RST gloves (about £20ish). i have also got a couple of other jackets/riding shirts since (Belstaff/Oxford) for £50-£100, so it can be done on the cheap, Safely, with good gear! :)

Reactions: HippoDrone

tojjer29

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2023
Dorset, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2023 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE Grand Tourer
Seeing as many bikers down that I do in my job, I say buy the best that you can afford. If there's something better just a few quid more than what you can afford, cut back on something else to free up that money. Cheap is normally just that, cheap and disintegrates as you skid and fly down the tarmac. Take Rukka, ridiculously expensive but superb quality with a 7 year guarantee on it. The zips are all waterproofed and BanditmanUK on Youtube had a Rukka jacket that I believe a zip went after 5 or 6 years. He contacted them, sent it off for repair and they even lent him another jacket until his was fixed and back with him. Now that is worth every penny of the original price.
If you want an all year jacket, get a decent one with air vents for the summer.

cinan

Wannabie Member
Jul 24, 2023
I ride a
Indian Scout 2020
Seeing as many bikers down that I do in my job, I say buy the best that you can afford. If there's something better just a few quid more than what you can afford, cut back on something else to free up that money. Cheap is normally just that, cheap and disintegrates as you skid and fly down the tarmac. Take Rukka, ridiculously expensive but superb quality with a 7 year guarantee on it. The zips are all waterproofed and BanditmanUK on Youtube had a Rukka jacket that I believe a zip went after 5 or 6 years. He contacted them, sent it off for repair and they even lent him another jacket until his was fixed and back with him. Now that is worth every penny of the original price.
If you want an all year jacket, get a decent one with air vents for the summer.
in other words: You’re not rich enough to buy cheap things ‍‍

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts