Well, finally making the jump to GoPro

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Best Buy had some good deals on the Hero 9 Black, so I took the plunge. I've been pretty happy with my Drift Ghost X but wanted another camera for secondary shots.

The downside is the helmet I ride with the most is my Icon Airflite with the wild full face shield. that's part of the reason I run Drift. It mounts tight to the side vs the GoPros big chunk of a brick when you side mount them.

So what I'm thinking is I can run the Hero in 1080p to match the Drift, and capture the helmet cam and mic audio from there, and use the GoPro on the bar mount, and for when I want to walk around and selfie stick it.

So, how would you guys work with these 2 cams? I thought about getting another helmet just for Vlogging, but I REALLY like my Icons and would prefer to ride in them.

Reactions: YBGuy and Drakhen99

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I think a few of us use multiple cameras now. You'll get a nice angle on the bars looking back at you... I mount my 360 camera on my mirror stem. But having the second camera allows you to mix up your views quite a lot, so you can mount it in various places to get extra angles and dangles! :)

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
I think a few of us use multiple cameras now. You'll get a nice angle on the bars looking back at you... I mount my 360 camera on my mirror stem. But having the second camera allows you to mix up your views quite a lot, so you can mount it in various places to get extra angles and dangles! :)
I just setup my second camera mount too. Hopefully going to try it out this afternoon. Will require more editing, but hopefully it will bring something new to the channel.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Like Hippo I run a 360 cam on the bars too. I love running with two cameras, it made motovlogging a lot more fun and creative to me.

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
Ya. I like multicam. I use a fixed one in my handle bars and helmet, then I'm free to move the 360 and 3rd GP anywhere I want to try to make interesting views.

Unless you are super creative like M$B in finding ways to use a single a camera and get lots of different views, having a couple of cameras makes it a lot easier.

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Well, the media mod got here today, so now I can run external mics without leaving the battery door open. That said, it's officially winter. Theyve salted the mess out of the roads and we've had snow and ice. Salt means no more riding until a few spring rains. So I guess I'll have to try it out in my semi. Work is about to get more interesting. lol

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I use my Drift and my GoPro in the exact same way the OP mentioned. - The Drift on my helmet and the Gopro on my bars aimed at me. My GoPro is a GoPro Max so if I want I can set it for 360 mode to capture everything around me.

I've been very happy with the results.

- Wolf

Reactions: YBGuy

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
The two camera setup gives more life to the videos too.

And, multiple cameras can be used to hide cuts :D That's my favorite use of a multiple camera setup.

-John

Reactions: HippoDrone

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Hide cuts? Do you mean film cuts? Like gives a better overall flow to the video?

Yep! Whenever I have a line I want to cut, or a pause, or flubbed a word... just cut to the other camera angle and keep on going!

It also helps to emphasize sentences - you can cut to the view of yourself for something important you want to convey to your viewer. I always have my outros in the camera angle facing me, for instance.

-John

Reactions: mymotorrad

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I do that a lot too, it's handy!

Yeah, turns out I am HORRIBLE at speaking in complete sentences without falling all over myself, and if you think my videos are scatterbrained... well, you should see the raw footage LOL. I typically cut out half the talking parts because it just doesn't make any sense.

Then, taking what's left, I have to cut another 30% or so because now THAT doesn't flow. Haha... when it finally comes together, it's a beautiful [to me] thing!

-John

mymotorrad

Wannabie Member
Mar 26, 2021
Fountain Hills AZ
www.mymotorrad.com
I ride a
2009 R1200RT
Yep! Whenever I have a line I want to cut, or a pause, or flubbed a word... just cut to the other camera angle and keep on going!

It also helps to emphasize sentences - you can cut to the view of yourself for something important you want to convey to your viewer. I always have my outros in the camera angle facing me, for instance.

-John
It works especially well with an open face helmet. What amazed me is the clarity of your voice.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
It works especially well with an open face helmet. What amazed me is the clarity of your voice.

Thanks! I work hard for that audio, that's for sure. And having it all synced up properly can be a real PITA the way I am doing it now, but it's still faster and way less storage than recording the entire ride. If you'll believe it, some of my latest videos have 15-25 recorded sections being synced & then stitched together, sometimes many miles apart.

-John

mymotorrad

Wannabie Member
Mar 26, 2021
Fountain Hills AZ
www.mymotorrad.com
I ride a
2009 R1200RT
Thanks! I work hard for that audio, that's for sure. And having it all synced up properly can be a real PITA the way I am doing it now, but it's still faster and way less storage than recording the entire ride. If you'll believe it, some of my latest videos have 15-25 recorded sections being synced & then stitched together, sometimes many miles apart.

-John
Not sure exactly what you mean. So do the cameras have some sort of SMPTE syncing capability or is it manual? Do you do the audio to the camera or something else? I found my camera audio wasn't good, so I record from my Cardo to my phone. That requires work later making it fit with the audio from the mic in the camera and the video. The audio from the Cardo has noise cancelling so I need ambient and that's why I use the mic on the camera. I have a mic that plugs into the camera, but it's not great and it's the only one that can be used with that camera. I like your dual camera setup, but I think the open face helmet makes it what it is.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Not sure exactly what you mean. So do the cameras have some sort of SMPTE syncing capability or is it manual? Do you do the audio to the camera or something else? I found my camera audio wasn't good, so I record from my Cardo to my phone. That requires work later making it fit with the audio from the mic in the camera and the video. The audio from the Cardo has noise cancelling so I need ambient and that's why I use the mic on the camera. I have a mic that plugs into the camera, but it's not great and it's the only one that can be used with that camera. I like your dual camera setup, but I think the open face helmet makes it what it is.

I record audio from a lav mic on my helmet cam, and in-camera on the rest, then sync up all the clips manually in Resolve, and then edit them from there, keeping the lav mic audio for the entire video. Using The Remote, the clips are close, but not quite in sync, and the waveforms aren't close enough for Resolve to automatically sync them.

I am planning to do a how-to video on this in the near future, just need to sit down & record it.

-John

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts