I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Hi @Overtaxed,

Welcome to MotoVlog.com.
Where are you from? What do you ride? Say hello, what do you like? Why are you here?

Got a photo of your bike?

Overtaxed

Wannabie Member
Mar 25, 2024
I ride a
S1000XR
Thank you for the add!

Located right on the SC/NC border in Gaffney, small town made somewhat famous (infamous) in House of Cards (yes, it's a real place). Close to the mountains of NC and GA, which is where I do a lot of my riding.

I ride a S1000XR. I love riding the twisties; longer rides (100-200 miles is my typical), rural roads. I really don't enjoy highway riding, but I'll do it if the destination is worth it. We have a toy hauler that we use to transport the bike, so I do get to ride some other areas (did The Dragon last month).

I'm hear to learn more about the videography aspect; the tools you guys are using, the techniques, good shots, software, etc. I'm currently using an Osmo Action 4 (handlebars) and a Insta360 X3 (usually on a pole behind me) along with a Tascam recorded under the seat. I use Davini for most of me editing. Novice level with all the tools, but trying to learn more!

Last edited by a moderator:

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Great to have you along. Do you run a helmet camera as well, or just the two you mentioned? :)

Overtaxed

Wannabie Member
Mar 25, 2024
I ride a
S1000XR
Great to have you along. Do you run a helmet camera as well, or just the two you mentioned? :)
I'm thinking about getting a mount to put the Osmo on my helmet (vs on the bars where it is today), but, direct answer, no, have never run a helmet mount.

Guess this is a good time to ask my first question though!

Are Chin Mounts worth the money, or are the cheaper options? I run a AVG SportModular as my main helmet (love it, BTW!), Chin Mount makes a specific stick on setup for that helmet, but man, like 50 bucks for some double sided tape and plastic?? Just wondering if it's worth it?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Most "Motovloggers" I follow on YouTube run a helmetcam, it seems to be the most interactive option. A lot of folk also run a camera facing them, but my personal opinion on those cameras (and others opinions may vary) is that they are overused, and detract from the video as it makes the video about the person, not the view, when IMO, the words should be about the person, the cameras about the view.
I attach my cameras to my helmet using Sugru, it is a semi permanent solution and allows me to fit it around and to vents and awkward shapes etc. Others use regular GoPro mounts or equivalent, but then need a huge amount of brackets to get the camera to where they want it... making it a huge angle failure waiting to happen.
Regarding the attachment to your helmet or bike... I and am sure most others here, would agree, that cheap is bad.... some mounts you can cheap out on, but remember, the bike cost thousands, the camera cost many several hundreds... as did the helmet... so don't cheap out on mounts... it is not wise.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
With the helmet specific mount you will maximize the adhesive contact area and it might look a touch better than the universal mounts too. That said, I did have enough success with a cheap flexible mount, that I put the same one on my new helmet too. Does not look quite as neat, but stays on well enough for me.
1711436126334.png

That said, I am using a camera that is so old, it would not be an emotional disaster to break it.

Reactions: R-Rated

Slorida

Wannabie Member
Aug 19, 2023
Oldham
I ride a
Honda CBR500R, Honda NC750S and Triumph Sprint ST1050.
Welcome to the forum.

Are Chin Mounts worth the money, or are the cheaper options? I run a AVG SportModular as my main helmet (love it, BTW!), Chin Mount makes a specific stick on setup for that helmet, but man, like 50 bucks for some double sided tape and plastic?? Just wondering if it's worth it?
Generic helmet mounts are a mixed bag. Mostly I find they are not good enough, but others have different experiences, so maybe helmet design is a key factor.

Chin mounts are made by a couple of different companies, with varying designs and fits for each specific helmet design. If applied correctly the 3M tape backing should stick to your helmet with no problem. The issue with them appears to be that the 3M tape is not applied to the mount, by the manufacturer, with quite the same diligence as they ask of you.

Until very recently I had no problem with Chin Mount's chin mount for my Shoei Neotech II, for periods of over 6 hours, but the other night I left the camera in the mount after a long ride and the following morning (so upto 18 hours after being attached) the mount had separated from the 3M tape (which was still attached to the helmet).

I seem to have reattached it okay, but obviously now my nerves are on edge for when I use the camera next.

I'd like to say this is an isolated incident, but online reports suggest that is not the case. I think that if the camera is only in the mount while out for a ride, it will be fine.

They are quite an expense for what they are, but they are designed specifically for each helmet design and do seem to have a good fit. When you consider the other options out there, I do think the money is worth it.

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Welcome. I believe you wrote that your helmet is modular and you ride twisties so here are a couple of suggestions based on my experience.

As far as modular helmets the point of view has two options since the chinbar rotates.

First is to side mount the camera. Pros - easy to place and fewer links. If your camera has audio in then you can run the mic up into the cheek pad area. Cons - wind drag depending on your windscreen setup for your bke. You will give the viewer an over the shoulder point of view which can be less than ideal.

The other option is to front mount the camera on the chinbar. Pros - best point of view for first person videos. Mic placement will be over the chinbar and inside so the mic and camera rotate together Cons - More links if you do not want to block the chinvent. When the chinbar is up the audience sees the sky.

As far as mounts - go with the best quality. I run GoPro camera and use theirs.

Now for the twisties. If you run a second camera then you can run it low and rear on the bike facing forward. Just watch the lean angle. Imagine treating the viewer to you talking in first person and they see your hands and front end as if they are riding. Then the camera switches to down low as you lean over in the curves. The viewer sees your peg just above the surface as the asphalt flies by. They clinch waiting for that peg to touch and spark. Meanwhile, your first camera is giving the audio of you talking as if it is no big deal to drag a peg.

You did not mention audio capture, but that is a whole different adventure finding what works best for you.

Overtaxed

Wannabie Member
Mar 25, 2024
I ride a
S1000XR
Thanks R-Rated!

I'd like to mount on the chinbar, I really only use the modular aspect of the helmet to get in/out, get fuel, for breaks, etc. I never have it up when I'm rolling. So I like the concept of the Chin Mount, and it looks like the model for my helmet does leave the vent open (which is important, that vent makes a big difference!

I just tried that POV on my last ride. Put the Insta360 down near my front tire and then near the rear. The front tire view, IMHO, was pretty neat. I ride a S1000XR, I don't know how much lean angle it takes to get a peg to spark, but I can tell you, 47 degrees won't do it! The bike records lean angle when you ride, I've hit 47 and not scraped, so, whatever it takes to get that peg down, it's a LOT of lean. 47 on the street is, between us, pretty dumb/sketch, I only do it at relatively low speeds in 180 degree turns, but that's a LOT of lean for the street!

I capture the audio on a Tascam that's under the seat. I don't do any talking in my videos, I have a voice for silent film. ;) I'm trying to build out videos that show the experience of riding on challenging roads and focus on the bike/road more than myself as the rider, I'm just there to keep the thing upright. So I just capture the engine sounds and then sync it up in post (which is a massive PITA because the Insta360 cannot do a gapless recording).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HippoDrone Introduce Yourself! 0
HippoDrone Introduce Yourself! 2
HippoDrone Introduce Yourself! 9
HippoDrone Introduce Yourself! 0
HippoDrone Introduce Yourself! 6

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts