Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
That is the thing. I am just starting out, and after just 4-5 vlogs under my belt, it is getting easier to figure out what to say and the dialog is coming easier. I think this is a matter of have an idea of what you want to do, and then as you do it you will figure a lot out.
Just checked out your channel, I really like your vlogs with you chatting in them, and it looks like after your first, you made a huge improvement in audio quality too! :)

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
Just checked out your channel, I really like your vlogs with you chatting in them, and it looks like after your first, you made a huge improvement in audio quality too! :)

My audio gets even better after the ones you saw, I switched mic's and positioning. Starting with vlog #7, when it comes out, it is using the new microphone setup, and the audio is really really good. it took a me trying 3 microphones and a bunch of mounting locations, but I finally got it figured out. This new setup even works at 60mph in my MX helmet on the freeway with my DR650 that has no wind protection. I'm pretty happy with it once I figured it out.

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
WOW, that is impressive!

The one thing I do still want to sort out, is that I think I sound like I have a lisp that I don't think I have. Even with the de-esser turned on, it sounds funny to me. I have a feeling no one else will notice, and maybe it is just that I am not used to hearing myself talk. It is probably just that the microphone is close to my mouth, so it picks up the S sound and it is really pronounced.

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Didn't notice it on your posted vids :)

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Oh man, since we're talking mic setups ... I've got a video I'm putting together of OVER TEN different tests of mic placement and jacket/sweatshirt zipped up versus unzipped... It's a quick one (about 6.5 minutes long) but goes through a TON of stuff related to mic placement, and at the end I show the setup I'm running with right now.

Half helmet, purple panda lapel mic actually clipped to my chin strap near my left ear pad - and audio is EXCELLENT (IMO), even compared to my previous favorite setup.

Of course, this is only on my Street Glide, and I haven't tested it on other bikes yet, but it requires 0 effects in post to get good, clean voice. There's hardly any wind noise, too!

I'm gonna cross-post this in the thread I'm in about mic placement too, figure those folks might benefit.

If anyone wants to see the final vid, I can embed it in a post somewhere (Hippo, where ya want it, if at all?) once I upload to YT.

-John

Reactions: LandyVlad

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
like I said on DM, you can put a clip as an example of how it works providing it is no longer than 1min duration in one of the threads, but if you want to post a video, it goes in the members vlogs section. There also isn't huge value in posting the same content in multiple places on here, so probs best to pick the one you think suits best and stick with that! :)

Last edited:

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
like I said on DM, you can put a clip as an example of how it works providing it is no longer than 1min duration in one of the threads, but if you want to post a video, it goes in the members vlogs section. There also isn't huge value in posting the same content in multiple places on here, so probs best to pick the one you think suits best and stick with that! :)

Yeah, you're right. Once it's posted I'll put it in Member Vlogs... thanks for the reminder!

It's been a long week today.

-John

Reactions: HippoDrone

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I just discovered another really successful motovlogger who doesn't talk during his rides: Royal Jordanian. He just pops up some text now and then while out riding about, yet he has over 1.4 million subs!!!!

And I'll admit, after watching a few of his vids it's kind of a nice relaxing format, what with just the exhaust note of the bike and some text to read now and then.

I think voiceless motovlogs CAN work, but I'm not sure they are better nor more likely to be as popular. Voiced is probably still the better format, usually.

EDIT: apparently he talks a bit in some of his vids while sitting still.

Reactions: SoulofGing

Loki2W

Wannabie Member
Feb 19, 2021
Vietnam
I ride a
CB650R
Unless you are Schaaf - I wouldn't watch you without voice. And to be another Schaaf you need to have perfect quality footage and sound and bloody huge selection of bikes and... some serious riding skills. And even in Schaaf case I'm watching just 5% of his videos - just a bikes I find interesting, skipping all the rest.

I’m a Shaaf wannabe but quickly realize you also need
+ good roads with scenery
+ good skills
+ some balls
+ wide selection of bikes
+ be an editor

Reactions: Drakhen99

Loki2W

Wannabie Member
Feb 19, 2021
Vietnam
I ride a
CB650R
And a very good audio recorder (or 2).
Same goes for old Royal Jordanian ;)
I'm getting the Zoom H1.
The thing is Schaaf said he is using the built-in mic for his exhaust sound. If I plug in external mic for my voice then I need a splitter and a (better than built-in) mic for the exhaust as the zoom can't record both built-in and external as the same time :(

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I'm getting the Zoom H1.
The thing is Schaaf said he is using the built-in mic for his exhaust sound. If I plug in external mic for my voice then I need a splitter and a (better than built-in) mic for the exhaust as the zoom can't record both built-in and external as the same time :(

You might want to try what @Dewey316 does - use a mic for voice and a separate one for engine note - then you can mix them however you like!

-John

Reactions: Loki2W

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
You might want to try what @Dewey316 does - use a mic for voice and a separate one for engine note - then you can mix them however you like!

-John

I use the built in gopro mic from the rear facing camera behind my wind screen for my engine noise. I use my helmet mic for voice.

With help on mic options, after try a lav mic, it picked up to much noise. I switched to using the wired mic from a Sena 20s. They can be picked up for $8-$12 many places online. I just happened to have a spare, so I tried it and ended up liking the results. It is a 2.5mm mic plug, I think 1/8th is 3.5mm, so you would need an adaptor, but again that is a $5 part.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
The thing is Schaaf said he is using the built-in mic for his exhaust sound.

I believe him. When I did my "engine sound only" video in the Schaaf style (kind of) I was only using the Hero 8 built in mic to capture the sounds of the bike and it did so wonderfully in my opinon. I have noticed the built in mics on the Hero 8 do a much better job than the Hero 7 mics, so there is a big difference with the newer cameras.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I believe him. When I did my "engine sound only" video in the Schaaf style (kind of) I was only using the Hero 8 built in mic to capture the sounds of the bike and it did so wonderfully in my opinon. I have noticed the built in mics on the Hero 8 do a much better job than the Hero 7 mics, so there is a big difference with the newer cameras.

And just to add - if you're using the Media Mods, the one for the Hero 9 is better than the one for the Hero 8. :D

-John

Loki2W

Wannabie Member
Feb 19, 2021
Vietnam
I ride a
CB650R
Absolutely!
My next focus is perfect engine sound so I think I would use only the Zoom for that. My voice would be recorded by a sena mic (ordered) wire to an old iPhone.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts