Vlogging Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malicious Logic

Wannabie Member
Jan 24, 2012
I ride a
Soon to be Ninja 250.
Hello, hello. Well I plan on getting a bike come Spring and I've already got my helmet since I was a bit impatient and really liked it. Anyways, I'm trying to decide which cam I should use along with which setup.

My two main interests are the Drift HD 170 stealth and the new Drift HD. From what I can see, the newer drift only has a few minor (to me) improvements as far as specs go, but it's a lot more expensive. The thing that interests me about it is that it's smaller! The stealth, depending on who's vlog I'm watching, looks huge. For those that have the stealth, does it bother you? Do you notice it while riding? And if anyone here has went from the stealth to the new Drift, or has the newer one, how do you like it? I'd really love to hear everyone's input.

Also, my current brain bucket of choice is the Icon Alliance Harbinger. I LOVE the graphics on this helmet and am somewhat skeptical about putting a semi-permanent mount on the side of it but at the same time, I feel like I'll want to always have the option to vlog or record if I choose to. I've considered buying a separate helmet specifically for vlogging but then I'd have to switch helmets and be stuck without the cam if I were to be out riding with my non-vlog helmet. How many of you all have helmets specifically for vlogging? If you use your main helmet as your vlogging helmet, does the mount bother you? Again, would love to hear any input or even suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Mikesmotorbike

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Guildford
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2001 Aprilia Classic 50cc (2009 - 2012)
2009 Rieju RS2 Matrix pro black edition (Dec 2011 - July 2012)
2001 Yamaha FZS600 (July2012 - January2013)
2005 CCM 404E (April 2013 - present)
well the Drift HD170 Stealth that I have has never got in the way, I constantly have it recording as you never know what will happen. then just dump it on to a 1To HDD and clean out the 1st videos every 3 months or so. I'll have to make a video on how I installed =) but there are a few out there. If you do get the HD170 be sure to pic up the mic AND the sillicone cover (normally sold together anyway) hope it helps, any more questions feel free to ask

Malicious Logic

Wannabie Member
Jan 24, 2012
I ride a
Soon to be Ninja 250.
Mikesmotorbike said:
well the Drift HD170 Stealth that I have has never got in the way, I constantly have it recording as you never know what will happen. then just dump it on to a 1To HDD and clean out the 1st videos every 3 months or so. I'll have to make a video on how I installed =) but there are a few out there. If you do get the HD170 be sure to pic up the mic AND the sillicone cover (normally sold together anyway) hope it helps, any more questions feel free to ask

Yeah, that was another thought I had. Would be nice to keep it running, unless I go on base or something like that. How big of an SD card are you using? Also, do you feel like it's overly big? I'd love to see the vid if you ever get around to making it.

Mikesmotorbike

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Guildford
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Malicious Logic said:
Mikesmotorbike said:

Yeah, that was another thought I had. Would be nice to keep it running, unless I go on base or something like that. How big of an SD card are you using? Also, do you feel like it's overly big? I'd love to see the vid if you ever get around to making it.

on base? you in the R.A.F.? =D and I got the 32Go SD card, good for quite a few hours, and the spare battery too =) I'll try and do so, but it's exam time here in France =/

Mikesmotorbike

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Guildford
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Mikesmotorbike said:
Malicious Logic said:
Mikesmotorbike said:

on base? you in the R.A.F.? =D and I got the 32Go SD card, good for quite a few hours, and the spare battery too =) I'll try and do so, but it's exam time here in France =/

and no I don't notice it atall it's light and out of the way =D

Mikesmotorbike

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Guildford
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Malicious Logic said:
Nah, the USAF....and cool, np.

I'm off to the R.A.F. soon ^.^ brilliant job.

noddydon

Wannabie Member
Jan 6, 2012
Kent UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Jinlun 250-2
Have a Drift Stealth as well and can concur that weight and size are not a problem.

Bought a heavy duty battery for it and plan to buy a couple more plus a 32 GB SD card to try and record all the time spent riding. eBay is a good source of batteries and thanks to a fellow poster the type needed is: fuji np-60 standard battery or np-120 for the extended life version. Also they are much cheaper being generic.

You might like to look at this forum thread for rear cover info plus should you scroll down the page you will find some photos of my helmet mounting method using the belt clip option from the Drift kit.

http://www.motovlog.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=649

Best of luck with your Vlogging! :D

Don

91brows

Wannabie Member
Jan 9, 2012
I ride a
Honda CBF 125
Hi, I've had the stealth for about a week and you do get some funny looks sometimes, but it doesn't really bother me. When I'm not recording, I just take the camera off and leave the mount on. It's mounted on my only helmet as well, but you really don't notice the weight, it's so light, and only £125 on Amazon at the minute. (I don't mean to sound like a salesman though! Haha) People's opinion will vary but it's perfect for me.

extreme601

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
2011 Tiger 800
I use the Drift Stealth 100% of the time I'm on the bike for possible evidence reasons. Whether it's on or off, I notice absolutely no difference whatsoever, the mount is pretty small and doesn't catch the wind (surprisingly enough) although of course, due to it's relative large size, members of the public do see it :p

I wouldn't be concerned about the size if I were you :)

MotorBiker2012

Wannabie Member
Jan 9, 2012
www.youtube.com
I ride a
NINJA 250R
many people have the drift hd 170 but only a few have the new drift hd like me, my past videos the quality wasn't that good because of the software i was using but now i just use windows movie maker and when i upload videos using that the video is so much better but i need to change the camera position and settings, but if you are looking at money go for the drift hd 170 as that is what camera everyone uses or if you want and can afford it then get the new drift hd but many people go for the hd 170.

Malicious Logic

Wannabie Member
Jan 24, 2012
I ride a
Soon to be Ninja 250.
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I've almost 100% made up my mind on getting the stealth. A lot of people use it currently and with the price difference between the two, I don't think it's really worth it to spend the extra just for the smaller one. Now I just need to decide if I want to ruin one side of my helmet with a velcro patch.

Do you guys vlog with your main helmet?

Mikesmotorbike

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Guildford
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Malicious Logic said:
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I've almost 100% made up my mind on getting the stealth. A lot of people use it currently and with the price difference between the two, I don't think it's really worth it to spend the extra just for the smaller one. Now I just need to decide if I want to ruin one side of my helmet with a velcro patch.

Do you guys vlog with your main helmet?

yep vlog with the main one, though if you do decide to give up vlogging and want your helmet without the velcro, I'm sure (if you heat it up with a hair dryer) It'll just peel right off.

TheGlock17shooter

Wannabie Member
Nov 9, 2011
www.facebook.com
I ride a
1993 Yamaha Virago 750
If its any help I have chosen the HD170 Stealth because I couldnt warrent spending twice as much for the new HD basically for the covered back and smaller overall design. MANY of us have used the HD170 since its inseption and most of us love it as it does everything we need it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts