Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
As most will know. A few months ago I set the rule that people who don't get involved with the site, can't post a video. If you don't know what I'm talking about then check the thread here

Long story cut short, you need to make 5 posts per 7 days to be able to post a video etc.

When I made the rule, the site was flooded with spam and videos. Most of the videos were a bit crap as well.

Anyway. We now have far better interaction with the site and it's members. Thank you for that.

One of the things I did back then was to stop self submitted videos being shown in the 'new posts' tab. I did this to force more chat, less spam and 'look at me I'm riding a motorbike' posts.

My suggestion is to tweak it very slightly by either

Increasing the post count to 10 posts per 7 days but with the posts showing up in the new posts section. That will give you more coverage and get rid of the 5 post 'hi' spammers i.e less videos posted

Keep the number as 5 posts per 7 days, while not showing in new posts section (as is)

Simply allowing the section to show up in new posts. I have a feeling this will start to bring spam vlogs back up

You decide and bring ideas etc

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
Limit people to posting 1 video per week too I reckon to limit the amount seen in the new posts feed.

I agree with increasing the limit, it really generates a community on here :)

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
Limit people to posting 1 video per week too I reckon to limit the amount seen in the new posts feed.

I had thought about that but it's not that easy I'm afraid and could slow the site down. May look more into that though

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
IIRC, the posts made as replies to videos don't count towards post count, but they can be made to count.

Perhaps allow those posts to count as interaction combined with an increase in post count.

As for limiting videos per week, it could be a written rule of 1-2 a week, (allows for 2 parters for those who can't upload long vids to YT, or those who do a vlog and a compilation per week), and enforce it manually. A quick skim of the icons will show any repeats and easily verified by which date posted. Could also ask members to help monitor this by reporting threads of they think someone is taking liberties?

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
posts made as replies to videos don't count towards post count, but they can be made to count.

I actually forgot about that. The 10 boost could work easier then if that's included?

I'm not sure the written rule would work or be managed that well ?

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
I would like the videos to show up in the new post feed.

Reason being I'm kinda lazy and every forum I'm on I just click the new post and work from that. Meaning for this site I have to go to effort to seek out new videos and watch them.

I also find that once I get to like someones stuff I just subscribe and don't even look in the videos section on here for a while. Most of the time I do is because I have something of my own I wish to post.

Post count is one thing but I'd be happy if there was a way to also monitor time spent on the site. As we all know there are people out there who read more than post and they could be disadvantaged by having to post 10 times to get a video up.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
I actually forgot about that. The 10 boost could work easier then if that's included?

I'm not sure the written rule would work or be managed that well ?

Abuse it - loose it basis really.

Can restrictions on sub-forums be based on a per member basis to prevent isolated abuse?

Reactions: dandoolittle

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
How about just posting your video(s) link via private message directly to admin(s) then admin(s) has full control which video(s) to put up/approve according to frequency or whatever metrics it is that you're running with.

Could be a bit of a burden on admin, but hey, like Uncle Ben once said, "With great power comes great responsibility" just before Spidey let him die. Spidey is such a prick.

LoL.

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
How about just posting your video(s) link via private message directly to admin(s) then admin(s) has full control which video(s) to put up/approve according to frequency or whatever metrics it is that you're running with.

Nice idea. However like members being able to post their videos, it's a Motovlog forum after all. I started the promoted section to try and bring out the good ones.

I'm self employed so get the odd week where even I can't get to the site so I'd be an unwanted bottle neck, it will get messy.

I just think if people want to post videos, that's cool but they have to give back to the community.

Reactions: SighBored

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Here's another idea.

Lock the vlog section from new posts.

Admins decide who is a regular poster or visitor or whatever and create a thread for you. You then post each new video in that thread. That way there all together and each new post will bump the thread anyway.

Then it would be a simple matter of closing off the threads of those that abuse it.

P.s yes Spider-Man is a dick don't get me started.

Reactions: SighBored

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
Dont wanna make more work for the admins, so approvals arent the best idea

100% wont be doing the admin approval thing. I think a self mod role is the only way. Mainly because I dont want my time to mod it, or waste Lurches.

Also, videos that I may think are crap, others will love etc. I don't think that's a fair process

RogueMogul

Wannabie Member
Apr 28, 2015
I ride a
Ducati Hypermotard
Victory Cross Country
Honda CB550
I like the videos not showing up in new posts. I like perusing and replying to the posts in the motovlog, editing etc sections, and then if I have time, I pop over to the video section and watch some videos. I guess I consider those two separate but equally good experiences.

Reactions: dandoolittle

Arctic Pride

L Plate Member
Mar 3, 2014
I ride a
lot of different things
The only issue in my eyes is lack of traffic even for regular users...

willph

Wannabie Member
Sep 6, 2015
I ride a
2011 Ducati 848EVO
Ive been wanting to post a video, but I can respect the rules. Trying not to just spam post because that doesn't add to the community at all.
Still also working towards being able to have a signature LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts