Ultimate Vlogging Setup? Sena 20s + Gopro

VlotoMog

VlotoMog.com - troller is watching you -_-
Jun 30, 2014
The Netherlands
vlotomog.com
I ride a
Honda CBR600F3
What is up guys, I was wondering if any of you guys wired up your SENA to your GoPro.

I am using normal eletret condensator mics which I feed into the right channel of my GoPro, and feed all of my SENA output to the left channel of my GoPro which means I get other people talking, music, phone calls and the like recorded straight to my video and my voice as well. Afterwards I just import these as 2 mono tracks and mix them how I want (remove music, etc etc). Even the ambient mode gets recorded!

I also chinmounted my camera on a very hard to mount helmet (hehehe...) the screw you are seeing is only through the ventilation part, NOT through the helmt itself.

One of the GoPro mics is very close to the internal speaker. This means I have 2 choices: use the helmet speakers and record all my talking *and* the SENA sound. Or plug in the custom cable I made and some earbuds and record the audio stream from the SENA directly into the GoPro and also my voice through the mics.

Anyone else use a setup like this?

I attached a simple scheme of how I wired it up...The headphone female input jack is hidden inside my helmet and I can hide the plug that I put in the SENA as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3735.JPG
    IMG_3735.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 5,326
  • IMG_3723.JPG
    IMG_3723.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,999
  • monostereo.png
    monostereo.png
    476.8 KB · Views: 6,891

Tash

Neophyte
Mar 5, 2016
I ride a
Suzuki GSF600s Bandit
I use a Sena 20s as well, and got it setup with he gp10 Bluetooth adapter.

Shit is so cash in UHD mode, however, I'm really struggling for dual motovs.

The sound of the other person is breaking up a lot and I don't know why it is, whether my connections are bad or whether that's just the way it sounds.

I would really love to be able to listen to music whilst riding and recording, but when using the backpack, you can't listen to music.

All the soldering, cables, hardware and all that just makes me sick and I want to be able to just plug and play.

I still am considering a new helmet though, because the one I have now is so small I end up chewing on the actual microphone.

I'd love to hear some tips on setting up the sena and backpack for best audio.

Reactions: VlotoMog

VlotoMog

VlotoMog.com - troller is watching you -_-
Jun 30, 2014
The Netherlands
vlotomog.com
I ride a
Honda CBR600F3
That is really disappointing. I had high hopes for the GoPro backpack, I actually talked about it in my previous vlog (I was about to buy the 20S which I have now) and it would seem like a good combo.

Even though the soldering is a one time tedious task...I now have a direct feed of all SENA audio I can hear through the headphones (which is crystal clear tight audio) and my mics straight into the GoPro. All I have to do is either: plug in the cable and headphones, or do nothing and the 2nd gopro mic will pickup much of the SENA's output audio because it's next to the helmet speaker.

Even though wireless is awesome, it's not hassle free as we would all like if I hear your struggles! Also, it's said UHD voice can be enabled between 2 20S'es on the backpack, but not in multiple intercom mode...did I read that right? That might at least help you with a dual vlog...I'll try to dig that up for you.

Tash

Neophyte
Mar 5, 2016
I ride a
Suzuki GSF600s Bandit
No no! Please don't hate Sena because of me! I'm just an idiot with the equipment i don't actually know how to use well! haha.

The Sena 20S and the GP10 are THE BEST setup for audio in my opinion. It is just SO CLEAR, I couldnt believe it.
Your setup seems overly complicated, but very useful, because you have total control.

I think UHD mode is not supported on 2 devices simultaneously. Which is understandable I guess, I'm sure they're doing all they can to bring it up.
I definitely do not regret buying the things.
I just need to work out the best way to use them for the best results possible, just like you have with your setup.
I just don't really have anyone that I can experiment with (does that sound dirty to you too?)

It's also fucking badass how the backpack battery can be used to power the gopro once the go pro battery has gone home.
I get a lot longer recording time this way.

I'm still at the beginning stages and my shit isn't perfect, but I can tell you that my voice sounds super clear... even sometimes cringe-worthy tier.

KittenMeat

Wannabie Member
Nov 15, 2015
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800xc
Suzuki Sv650-R
I would really love to be able to listen to music whilst riding and recording, but when using the backpack, you can't listen to music.

this is why i ditched the backpack.

ADVBandit

Wannabie Member
May 4, 2016
Orange County, CA, USA
www.advbandit.com
I ride a
2014 Honda CB500x, 2002 KLR 650 Sidecar
I use a Sena 20s as well, and got it setup with he gp10 Bluetooth adapter.

Shit is so cash in UHD mode, however, I'm really struggling for dual motovs.

The sound of the other person is breaking up a lot and I don't know why it is, whether my connections are bad or whether that's just the way it sounds.

All the soldering, cables, hardware and all that just makes me sick and I want to be able to just plug and play.

I still am considering a new helmet though, because the one I have now is so small I end up chewing on the actual microphone.

I'd love to hear some tips on setting up the sena and backpack for best audio.

Did you happen to upgrade the firmware? I know when I started using it, audio was kind of off but after the upgrade it worked much better. I love mine and the only time I had some issue was when my buddy would round a corner and he was no longer in sight. But otherwise I love the GP10.

As KittenMeat stated, the only down side is loosing the use of music while recording with the GP10 on.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts