Sponsorship

JohnnyGrom

Wannabie Member
Jan 28, 2016
I ride a
Honda Grom
Are there any sponsored motovloggers?

If there is, How do you become sponsored?

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Don't be a sell out man do your own thing.

It a dodgy area to be in, do you want your motovlogging to be your own content or paid advertising for someone else.

Reactions: Riderguide

JohnnyGrom

Wannabie Member
Jan 28, 2016
I ride a
Honda Grom
Don't be a sell out man do your own thing.

It a dodgy area to be in, do you want your motovlogging to be your own content or paid advertising for someone else.
I was hoping there would be something like you put a logo in your intro and do a couple reviews and theyd send you stuff.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Some companies will approach you if they see you are somewhat famous to review their stuff. To get fully sponsored, I'm not sure. It doesn't mean you are a sell-out if you get sponsorship as long as you be true to what you've been doing.

Personally I do have some plans in mind to approach some companies, maybe can workout some type of collaboration of sorts. Will see how it goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyGrom

MotoDynsty

Putting the Nasty in DyNasty
Mar 11, 2016
Las Vegas, NV
I ride a
K8 GSXR 600
I think the review aspect is all based off of how famous you are and the channel views you get. Send a product. Give a review. Keep the product. All depends on how you portray yourself on your videos as well. Do It With Dan was saying in one video that a company will not let him do reviews because of his content. As far as full ride sponsorships.....who knows. Is there anyone we know that even has a full sponsorship?

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
Chase is sponsored. He does this shit full time now, and he has a contract.

You can forget about sponsorship. Linus at Linus Techtips answered a question about how he gets sponsored items all the time from NVidia and other companies, and it boils down to ROI or Returns on Investment.

If you don't already have a big name Youtube channel, you aren't getting any. And to be a big name channel, you need sponsorship. So it become a chicken and egg problem.

Linus got his channel jump started by working in a tech related retail industry and using his access as an employee to do Youtube reviews using company stock.

So unless you work in a workshop, retailer or dealership and have the appropriate employee access to said stock, you aren't going to get the sponsorships to grow your channel and branch to brand placement.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
You do not necessarily need to be backed by sponsorship to grow your channel. Some people use the community or fans to help them grow. For example - It's obvious you won't have resources to get every single motorcycle to try, and maybe the shops/manufacturer is not willing to let you try them, you can turn to your community, or fans, some would be willing to lend you their motorcycle to try and stuff. Yes, it is risky because that is someone's property that you will be responsible for. Just pointing out that sponsorship is not mandatory to grow or be big.

On the ROI aspect, that is absolutely true. No company would drop money/product on you without knowing what they gain from it. It's a business to them, not charity. Sponsorship comes with some sort of T&C which you are now obliged to honor, so even getting sponsorship is tricky because you need to commit, there is no free meal.

That being said it's not all doom and gloom, if you find the right partner that can work well with you, the sponsorship might be just perfect for both sides.

Whatever it is, do your checks before signing up for anything, we always like to think of the fun part - free gear, free bikes, free, free, free; but forget to also note the responsibility and commitment you have to uphold.

jthomas

jthomas1310
Jan 9, 2016
Australia
I ride a
2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
If you have a sizable following tag other companies if you are mentioning their stuff. My sister does a bit of modelling stuff fr mags like Zoo, be a grid girl etc. and had a few hundred people following her on facebook and twitter for her modeling identity and was hash-tagging companies brands with a selfie of herself with their product eg. clothing, booze etc. and soon companies started to notice it was getting a heap of attention, she now regularly gets loads of free stuff and all she has to do is hashtag their product or post a link to it and pose for a selfie with it.
So you could target things like that if you are doing reviews etc. But ultimately, if you dont have the following, one you wont get noticed and two, if you did get noticed, they wont give you free stuff for only a handful of people to have it promoted to.

Reactions: SighBored

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Don't forget sponsorship is just another channel of advertising for a company. They target their ad budget for maximum return, like toy companies put their ads only on with children's programs and films on TV, and when it comes to the superbowl the cost per ad is very high because there will be that many people watching the ads.

If you've got a few tens of subs then it's barely worth sending you gear worth over a hundred dollars as you're not going to give it the exposure.

Turn it around - you've got a bike product to sell. Which vlogger would you give it to? Me with 350 subs or Chase with his hundreds of thousands of subs? Which is going to be the better return?

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Let's turn it around yet again, and if the top guy is uber famous, he'd probably be able to pick and choose what to review/promote and thus you're not-so-uber-famous product might be skipped over.. So then where do you go? Probably some other lesser uber famous vlogger.

That hardly means the guy with the below 1k subs will get a chance, but you don't need to get free stuff in order to do your reviews, you can easily start with all the current gear you have, review them, then anything else you get, review those, and probably mention why you decided to get those gears, that build rapport, so when the time comes to approach they can review the past stuff you did and have a better idea how you will be able to work with their products.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Indeed, very true. I still don't see how even the small manufacturer is going to pick me to review anything of theirs!

Saying that, the Infamous Biker got given a Hudl tablet to review and he had about 1000 subs at the time. They're the brand of one of the big 4 supermarkets over here.

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
Indeed, very true. I still don't see how even the small manufacturer is going to pick me to review anything of theirs!

Saying that, the Infamous Biker got given a Hudl tablet to review and he had about 1000 subs at the time. They're the brand of one of the big 4 supermarkets over here.
Well at least he has a thousand subs. Which is nothing to scoff at.

Then again, it could be on a rent out clause and he has to return the product afterwards.

Redmonkey

Wannabie Member
Mar 14, 2016
UK
I ride a
KTM 1290 Super Adveture
Unless you have a good few thousand subs don’t expect anything. Its hard enough getting subs let alone something out of doing it.

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
Yea don't think that happens in real life.

Maybe once your internet famous.

Well I only have 500 subs and I've been sent 3 things to review so far. If I don't like the product I don't make the video.

Rookzer

Wannabie Member
Feb 28, 2019
I ride a
2014 Triumph Daytona 675 and 2018 Honda Grom
I have 1,600 subs and have two sponsors along with a company that sends me gear to review from time to time. It's not being a sellout as long as your content doesn't deviate from what you want to do. If you think making a buck or two to do what you want is being a sellout then I wear that name proudly.

My current sponsors are MotoMinds and Voss Helmets. The other company is Viking Cycle.

Reactions: LoneWolfer

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Sponsored no.
But i have a good relationship with the local dealer, meaning i can testride motorcycles for a longer time to do more proper reviews, and in return i name their dealership.

Next to that i had Gearbest send me some stuff for reviews, but they went really weird real fast.
So i tend to do most reviews of the stuff i want to review.

I did have a very good contact base with ProBolt. Got 40% discount on their bolts that i wanted to use for the rebuild series, as long as i named them and put the link in the description. Wanted to get the bolts anyway, so i just asked them.
Most companies will decline, some will help.

The line between being a sell-out and being sponsored is a difficult one, especially because the contentwatchers all have different opinions anyway ;)
Sell-out like actively naming a company and making a proper commercial for them (like Audible or the foodservice) feels like selling out. Dan and motonosity did it with mobile games a couple of times.

Next to all this i got my jacket through a friend of my who has his own website, so companies contact him. I get the jacket and wrote the review, and he had to do nothing. Great deal for him, and i'm happy with the jacket. More of a friendservice then anything other ;)

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts