Riding On Snow And Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drobium77

Wannabie Member
Aug 6, 2012
I ride a
1993 Suzuki RF600 and a 2007 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic.
Good guide matey, you and I are in the same boat this week I see?

Another good tip is that, you'll get alot more grip if you ride over fresh, un-compacted snow than you will if you go in the tyre tracks, that'll just make you fall off.

Any snow over around 4" deep is next to impossible to ride through, coz it gets jammed up in the front mudguard and squashed into ice, which can then seize the front wheel causing you to go foe a burton.

Also, there are two main types of snow.

1st, wet snow, this is the shit we usually get in the UK and it's as slippery as hell and therefore alot more difficult to negotiate.

2nd, powder snow, now this is the snow we had back in December 2010, it's very light and falls at a much lower temperature and is hard to make snowballs from coz it's so dry.
This snow is pretty easy to ride through as it's got more in common with sand than wet snow, there's alot more grip available (relatively).

The snow this weekend is initially going to be wet snow, but then it'll be followed by dry powder snow from Europe, the two types together will make riding deeply impractical and also the depths are going to be up to or over a foot in places around the Midlands, so i's get the bus if I were you :D

NastyEvilNinja

4 wheel racer, 2 wheel lunatic
Feb 18, 2012
South Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Honda VTR1000 Firestorm, Yamaha FZR600R
Drobium77 said:

Another good tip is that, you'll get alot more grip if you ride over fresh, un-compacted snow than you will if you go in the tyre tracks, that'll just make you fall off.

Any snow over around 4" deep is next to impossible to ride through, coz it gets jammed up in the front mudguard and squashed into ice, which can then seize the front wheel causing you to go foe a burton.

1st, wet snow, this is the shit we usually get in the UK and it's as slippery as hell and therefore alot more difficult to negotiate.

2nd, powder snow, now this is the snow we had back in December 2010, it's very light and falls at a much lower temperature and is hard to make snowballs from coz it's so dry.
This snow is pretty easy to ride through as it's got more in common with sand than wet snow, there's alot more grip available (relatively).

The snow this weekend is initially going to be wet snow, but then it'll be followed by dry powder snow from Europe, the two types together will make riding deeply impractical and also the depths are going to be up to or over a foot in places around the Midlands, so i's get the bus if I were you :D

Slushy snow is definitely worse, because it just fills your tread and suspends your tyre off the surface! Very bad news to hit that!

If your forecast is correct I might even consider taking the car to work... I recon that would have taken about 2hrs+ this morning, rather than the hugely lengthy 40 mins on the bike!

Drobium77

Wannabie Member
Aug 6, 2012
I ride a
1993 Suzuki RF600 and a 2007 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic.
NastyEvilNinja said:
Drobium77 said:

Slushy snow is definitely worse, because it just fills your tread and suspends your tyre off the surface! Very bad news to hit that!

If your forecast is correct I might even consider taking the car to work... I recon that would have taken about 2hrs+ this morning, rather than the hugely lengthy 40 mins on the bike!
I'm lucky in a way that i'm only 5 miles from work, so can walk it at a push. The buses can get up the hills near work and so I can't take them.
Lucky I have the weekend off, so I can build snowmen and make snow angels :lol:

Seriously, take care out there matey, it's looking like the worst for years!

Romans5.8

Wannabie Member
Mar 19, 2013
I ride a
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
I try to avoid snow and ice, but folks should always take the time to at least think about how they would handle such a situation, and what skills they need to practice to prepare for it. I get a chuckle every time someone tells me they WON'T ride in the rain. Yeah, you just wait! When you finally decide to ride that bike more than 5 minutes from home, it'll start pouring, with no warning or forecasting, when you're as far away as possible and need to get home. It's fine to decide not to ride if rain is forecasted or if it's already raining (I usually take the car if it's raining when I leave, unless I was planning on going for a ride somewhere, but just for commuting; I'd rather take the car). But, if you honestly ride that bike more than a few times a year, you WILL get caught in it!

Same goes for snow and ice if you ride in cold weather!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts