Lowkey

Wannabie Member
Feb 12, 2019
Bronx, NY
I ride a
2013 Suzuki Boulevard C90T BOSS, 2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE
I tried searching for the answer to this but everything comes up with GoPro-related results, unfortunately.

Does anyone know of any way to record the audio from Sena 30K headsets (one minimum, two maximum). I know that Sena has the Sena Audio Backpack (GP-10) but it requires a GoPro. I'm looking for a method that works with generic action cams that are available. I have 3 DBPower NS5 4K Action Cameras and would like to use those if possible. I was thinking along the lines of a bluetooth recorder or something similar. Maybe even a phone app or something.

Worst case, I will buy a GoPro 3 Black and the GP-10 but I want to see what options are being used in production Lately, I've been using a small Tascam recorder with a helmet mic and I just sync all the video and audio tracks in post. It's nice but I would like an option without the Tascam.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Not sure about recording the Sena audio, but you could look at getting an external audio recorder (or even use your phone) and run a second mic into your helmet?

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
What hippo said. If I'm 2-up riding I use a Zoom audio recorder to synch up my second camera. Just make sure you use a head or tail slate in your recording. You can probably find a number of slightly older models on eBay or craigslist. I have an H4n.

https://www.zoom-na.com

- Wuf

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Boulevard s83 & Boulevard s40
I'm going to buy a GP10 and use it with a hero3. I know of a hero3 I can borrow to try it out before I buy my own hero3. I'll just throw the hero3 in a saddle bag I'll let you know how well it works out for me. Let me know if you find any better solutions.

Lowkey

Wannabie Member
Feb 12, 2019
Bronx, NY
I ride a
I thought I would update everybody on my current status. First, I want to thank everyone that took the time to help out.

Second, I'm planning on buying a GoPro Black 4 with the Sena GP-10 as my ultimate solution. It was the best solution with the least amount of parts. The other two cameras that I will use are an older 4K model from Fitfort and the fairly new 4K DBPower N5s (both on Amazon and both GoPro clones).

While doing some research, I found that there are several Android Bluetooth recording apps that have the ability to record Bluetooth directly from my Sena 30K.

To cover dual vlogging, I first connect the two Sena 30K's and then start recording from my Sena 30K unit using the app of your choice. By connecting to my unit, the app will record both units via my 30K's audio stream.

There are quite a few apps that work but they all vary in regards to sound recording and quality. The three I think have the most promise are Easy Voice Recorder Pro by Digipom ($3.99), Voice Recorder by 0alex (free) and Parrot by Searing Media Inc (free). I eventually selected Easy Voice Recorder Pro due to its flexibility in regards to file format, recording bandwidth, and overall "feel". While I will use the 30K and GP-10 while on the bike, Easy Voice will serve as a backup if anything happens.

Let me know if anyone has any questions about anything!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
That sounds great to have that redundancy should anything fail.

Foreigner0

Wannabie Member
Jun 3, 2016
I ride a
BMW F800GT
I used a recording app on my mobile phone and it automatically picked up the Sena mic, when paired. Sound quality was crap mostly because of the app, I guess. Moved to a Zoom H2N with an external mic since then.

Foreigner0

Wannabie Member
Jun 3, 2016
I ride a
BMW F800GT
I thought I would update everybody on my current status. First, I want to thank everyone that took the time to help out.

Second, I'm planning on buying a GoPro Black 4 with the Sena GP-10 as my ultimate solution. It was the best solution with the least amount of parts. The other two cameras that I will use are an older 4K model from Fitfort and the fairly new 4K DBPower N5s (both on Amazon and both GoPro clones).

While doing some research, I found that there are several Android Bluetooth recording apps that have the ability to record Bluetooth directly from my Sena 30K.

To cover dual vlogging, I first connect the two Sena 30K's and then start recording from my Sena 30K unit using the app of your choice. By connecting to my unit, the app will record both units via my 30K's audio stream.

There are quite a few apps that work but they all vary in regards to sound recording and quality. The three I think have the most promise are Easy Voice Recorder Pro by Digipom ($3.99), Voice Recorder by 0alex (free) and Parrot by Searing Media Inc (free). I eventually selected Easy Voice Recorder Pro due to its flexibility in regards to file format, recording bandwidth, and overall "feel". While I will use the 30K and GP-10 while on the bike, Easy Voice will serve as a backup if anything happens.

Let me know if anyone has any questions about anything!
Seems like a good option. I tried to record sound from the Sena, via bluetooth, using my Android phone (I'm new to Android, after many many years of owning BlackBerries) and I still haven't found a way to use even an external mic with my phone, much less the Sena's bluetoothed mic :(

I'm sure there is a setting I'm missing :(

Would like to give it a try to rule out app recording quality vs Sena mic poor quality.

Lowkey

Wannabie Member
Feb 12, 2019
Bronx, NY
I ride a
@Foreigner0 Unfortunately, most Android apps are pure garbage. Most apps max out at either 8K or 16K when recording BT. Android has an 8kHz sampling limit when it comes to Bluetooth audio streams so I wonder if that's an real 16K stream or just an 8K stream resampled up via software? Someone that is Apple-based can speak on Apples pros and cons with BT recording.

While using an app is workable, much cheaper for a beginner, and the sound quality can be improved in post (I have a music production background if that matters), I still decided to go with the 30K and GP10 solution as I'll sometimes have dual 30K's and multiple cams at times.

PhilTonic

English Kraut
Aug 17, 2014
I ride a
KTM 690 SMC R
I made a video about how to record what you hear through your speakers. My goal was to record audio for dual vlogs without having to rely on the partner's footage and possibly crappy audio setup.

Reactions: scooterwuf
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SweetTripl Camera Setups 27