Question for Cold Weather Riders

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Boulevard s83 & Boulevard s40
I'm working a job right now that is 112 miles away having me ride my bike 224 miles everyday. We've had a couple of cold days here lately and it's raised an issue for me. In the mornings it's been extremely foggy and I can't ride without my visor fogging up. The solution to this that I found is to wear safety glasses instead of the visor. When it's cold enough though I like to wear a balaclava under my helmet to stay warm. I can't fit both glasses and a balaclava under my helmet.
What do y'all do to maintain visability? Is there something I should treat my visor with?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I'm working a job right now that is 112 miles away having me ride my bike 224 miles everyday. We've had a couple of cold days here lately and it's raised an issue for me. In the mornings it's been extremely foggy and I can't ride without my visor fogging up. The solution to this that I found is to wear safety glasses instead of the visor. When it's cold enough though I like to wear a balaclava under my helmet to stay warm. I can't fit both glasses and a balaclava under my helmet.
What do y'all do to maintain visability? Is there something I should treat my visor with?
I swear by PinLock, can you get a PinLock visor for your helmet? If not you could try a product called FOGTECH, they do single use wipes which is an expensive way of doing it or a solution which is better value

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
I agree with Hippo a pinlock system works wonders, although if you wear eyeglasses expect those to steam up instead of the visor!

Another solution, albeit far less convenient, would be to get another helmet to accommodate the extra layers :)

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Pinlock, but my glasses fog up.
So i normally ride with pin lock, and visor on the smallest crack when going slow.
When going fast, visor fully closed gives enough airflow to prevent glasses fogging up, but without getting cold ;)

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
Again I’ll say pin lock. Though make sure that it is completely flush with the visor. If not it’ll fog where the is no contact. I pulled my pin lock of my old visor and put it on my new one and it sometimes fogs down the middle where it dosen’t touch the visor. Someone did tell me once leave the pin lock on a radiator to warm up a bit and the put it in if you cant get it to make complete contact

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Boulevard s83 & Boulevard s40
@HippoDrone @Pooley @L. Bilious @Meifesto @chrisw959
Thank you everyone for the help.
I looked into Pinlock, it looks like my visor supports it and will only cost me $25 to get the insert. I'll be giving this a go. Why is it called 'pinlock'?
As for getting a larger helmet to fit both glasses and a mask, there are so few days that are actually cold in the winter here that it would never be worth it.
My glasses never fog up on me, but maybe it just doesn't get cold enough.

Reactions: Meifesto

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
Only downside to pinlock is they tend to cost more, when my latch broke off my HJC a replacement was around £35.00~ or so, which was about double the cost of a standard one at the time.

Madlad

Absolute Madlad
Apr 24, 2020
Canada
I ride a
2014 Yamaha R6
Just in case more than your face gets cold; This year got myself an underarmor base layer, works wonders to keep you warm even though its so thin! (It'll fit under your everyday clothes)

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
The good thing about neck warmers is that they also stop air from getting into your helmet from underneath which makes your microphone clearer ;)

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts