Qn. About Balaclava

M0C70R

Wannabie Member
Mar 17, 2018
India
I ride a
Suzuki GSX 150F
So I had a question about Balaclava. Currently I dont wear one but I wanted to get one because since its summer here and my head sweats a lot which gets absorbed by the Helmet liner and I have to wash teh liner quite frequently.

So I have seen these balaclavas that have Wicking properties. And from what I understand these balaclavas, instead of absorbing the sweat into the fabric, they basically transport it from the inside to the outer surface where the circulating air through the vents apparently evaporates teh sweat.

My question is, if the sweat is getting displaced towards teh outside suface, wont the liner still pick it up before it gets evaporated?

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
So I had a question about Balaclava. Currently I dont wear one but I wanted to get one because since its summer here and my head sweats a lot which gets absorbed by the Helmet liner and I have to wash teh liner quite frequently.

So I have seen these balaclavas that have Wicking properties. And from what I understand these balaclavas, instead of absorbing the sweat into the fabric, they basically transport it from the inside to the outer surface where the circulating air through the vents apparently evaporates teh sweat.

My question is, if the sweat is getting displaced towards teh outside suface, wont the liner still pick it up before it gets evaporated?

It sure will.

What type of helmet are you wearing in the summer? Half, 3/4, Full, or modular?

Reactions: HippoDrone

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
@R-Rated Full (MT Mugello)

Yeah, I don't see how it would help. The air flowing across the material is what evaporates the moisture. Otherwise the moisture would just transfer over to the next material layer, in this case, the helmet liner.

I am curious what Baja, Dakar racers, and other desert/hot weather riders do under their helmets. Maybe there is something out there that might work?

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
I use a balaclava every single time I put my helmet on. I do it to keep the helmet "somewhat" cleaner than having direct contact with my skin/hair/etc, sure if you sweat the balaclava gets wet and if you really sweat a lot then your liner probably gets wet too, but majority will still be on the balaclava. It's easier to dry out and wash a balaclava than the helmet liner. I wouldn't be too concerned about where the sweat goes and stuff like that but it does help keeping the sweat from dripping into your eye-balls unless you are really sweating like a waterfall.

From my years of using balaclava, generally the helmet liner is in much much better condition and doesn't reek of odor that badly compared to friends that never use one, regardless if they wash the liner frequently or not.

Some say the balaclava feels suffocating and when I first used one I thought the same, but in actual fact it's just a thin poly-whatever material cloth it's no big deal.. I won't say a balaclava will contribute to you sweating more than if you didn't have one on.. But that's just me.

Reactions: M0C70R

M0C70R

Wannabie Member
Mar 17, 2018
India
I ride a
Suzuki GSX 150F
@SighBored So i got a balaclava and I am very pleased to use it. Even if I am sweating inside the balaclava, I dont feel it all that much compared to the helmet liner getting all soggy and irritating my face for the entire ride. The helmet liner does get a bit wet sometimes but thats about it. Thats no foul smell or anything. The inside of the balaclava usually has mineral deposits which means the balaclava i purchased is working as intended

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Yes using balaclava is better than not using one, they have many types too, not all are like a ninja, some can stretch under the chin so your face is not covered.. Much easier to keep the helmet clean and in between ride stops you can even give the balaclava a quick wash and dry under the sun.

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I only ever use my balaclava when its cooler outside. I don't really mind sweating and if its too wet inside the helmet I just leave the visor open for a while. And I regularly clean the inside of my helmet. Normal part of maintanance in my book just like taking care of my leathers, oil changes and clutch adjustments on the bike.

GIZZ

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Canada eh!
I ride a
K5 gsxr 1000
I have a winter balaclava for outdoor work around the house, it's about the thickness of a t shirt so not very thick. I figured I'd try it under my helmet, not possible. It's just thick enough that I cannot comfortably put my helmet on! Has anybody encountered this? Makes ne wonder if my helmet fitment too tight? Arai vector 2.

M0C70R

Wannabie Member
Mar 17, 2018
India
I ride a
Suzuki GSX 150F
@GIZZ I think your balaclava is too thick. Helmet fitment is fine. Most people usually test helmet without wearing a balaclava because they dont ride wearing one. The balaclava I bought was luckily thin enough and my helmet is even more snug which means the liner has gotten a bit too loose.

Reactions: GIZZ

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
I'be used a balaclave all year round for the past 3 years and I've never had a problem both with a silk one and cotton since I missed place my silk one. Personally I'd go for a silk one as it breathes more than cotton.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts