Plastic bottle mic holder (looks stupid, but works VERY well)

tarmacjapa

Bike Hub Japan
Mar 9, 2019
Japan
I ride a
KTM Superduke
Suzuki SV650S
Hi guys,

Thanks to this forum, and SalvageSV I decided to take his advice and make a guard type of thing for my mic.
It's super ghetto, but man it's good. Here's a step by step (in pictures). If you have any questions, please ask. Although I think the photos speak for themselves.
I have a test video, but as I'm still a newbie here I can't upload yet. For now, here's what I did.

helmet1.jpg helmet2.jpg helmet3.jpg helmet4.jpg helmet5.jpg helmet6.jpg helmet7.jpg helmet8.jpg helmet9.jpg

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Interesting, does it not worry you if you had an impact on the chin? :)

tarmacjapa

Bike Hub Japan
Mar 9, 2019
Japan
I ride a
KTM Superduke
Suzuki SV650S
Interesting, does it not worry you if you had an impact on the chin? :)

Hmmmm, it probably would hurt (a lot). I will have a bit of a re-think, but quality wise it's good. The funnel type holder is pretty good for sound I think. Maybe I will look into making a funnel from something softer.... It's a shame I can't upload a sample, but I'll do that after I've got my post count higher

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Hmmmm, it probably would hurt (a lot). I will have a bit of a re-think, but quality wise it's good. The funnel type holder is pretty good for sound I think. Maybe I will look into making a funnel from something softer.... It's a shame I can't upload a sample, but I'll do that after I've got my post count higher
If you can make a 1min clip of your audio as unlisted on YouTube, then post me a link to it in a pm, I can add it to this thread for you.

tarmacjapa

Bike Hub Japan
Mar 9, 2019
Japan
I ride a
KTM Superduke
Suzuki SV650S
If you can make a 1min clip of your audio as unlisted on YouTube, then post me a link to it in a pm, I can add it to this thread for you.

Ok, sounds good. I'll trim it down to 1 min and send you the link.

Thanks in advance

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660

It is quite clear, although it is clipping a little. What is it like at 70+ mph?

tarmacjapa

Bike Hub Japan
Mar 9, 2019
Japan
I ride a
KTM Superduke
Suzuki SV650S

It is quite clear, although it is clipping a little. What is it like at 70+ mph?

For now I've only tested upto 100kmh (60mph), so not sure. It's pishing it down today, so again I'll be riding slowly home. This Tueday I have the day off, so plan on going to a nice road by me to do some filming/testing. Clipping I think can be fixed easily. This is all raw audio and video...didn't run it through any software, so I think I can sort it out and make it slightly better...

Reactions: HippoDrone

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
Interesting idea but Lav mics are super sensitive and having it this close to your mouth is not recommended. Some of the clipping most likely comes from this proximity to the sound being recorded. Basically the mic is getting overloaded with sound waves. Turning the gain down on the recording device could help solve it but getting it a little further from your mouth would be better. Having it in contact with the outer shell of the helmet will also cause clipping, and popping and other sounds as the wind is hitting the outside of your helmet. The best luck I have had is inside the cheek pad with nothing touching the shell. I had to modify that though with my current, powered mic because I didn't want it in the cheek pad perminantly because the cord is something like 6 feet long. So now I velco it to the cheek pad wrapped in foam just to the left of my mouth so that direct sound doesn't go into it with it pointed up toward the top of my hemlet so the bike doesn't over power my voice.

• Love
Reactions: HippoDrone

CDA441

Red Viffer VTEC!
Apr 15, 2016
Belgium
cda441.wordpress.com
I ride a
'04 Honda VFR800 VTEC
It sounds very clear, probably too clear! You can put on a little fur to get the 'pop' out of your 'p' :)
Great use of the vent, hopefully that doesn't void the warranty on the helmet ;)

tarmacjapa

Bike Hub Japan
Mar 9, 2019
Japan
I ride a
KTM Superduke
Suzuki SV650S
Thanks for the ideas guys. This is basically Mk.1 and I will start to improve it from now onwards. I ordered a lav mic dead cat ages ago but still didn't arrive. I want to try that and then a kind of net over the cap itself. So basically dead cat on lav, and studio mic type net/mesh cover over whole setup. I'll test again today with lower gain...

tarmacjapa

Bike Hub Japan
Mar 9, 2019
Japan
I ride a
KTM Superduke
Suzuki SV650S
Ok, will take some pics later. Just got back from a great ride. Hoping the footage comes out well

Reactions: R-Rated

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
My thoughts were the same as the other posters about getting vibration and clipping sounds with the proximity of so many hard surfaces.

Also, nice night time footage super clean and noise free looking.

- Wolf

tarmacjapa

Bike Hub Japan
Mar 9, 2019
Japan
I ride a
KTM Superduke
Suzuki SV650S
My thoughts were the same as the other posters about getting vibration and clipping sounds with the proximity of so many hard surfaces.

Also, nice night time footage super clean and noise free looking.

- Wolf

Mr Wolf

As soon as I'm allowed I'll post my vlog up here. The footage turned out great. No clipping I think, although welcome to hear your opinions

tarmacjapa

Bike Hub Japan
Mar 9, 2019
Japan
I ride a
KTM Superduke
Suzuki SV650S
Hey guys,

Sorry I was slow to take pics of the helmet. As you can tell...from the outside you can't see anything. i.e. the bottle top. You can only see it when the helmet isn't being worn. I've not lost any functionality of the helmet either. Front vent still opens and closes, although the airflow is obviously being blocked by that bottle top/cap

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SighBored

jasonrides

Wannabie Member
Jan 18, 2019
I ride a
Honda CBR250R
Does the audio clip when you're traveling at high speeds? I know I tend to scream into the mic when going fast haha

tarmacjapa

Bike Hub Japan
Mar 9, 2019
Japan
I ride a
KTM Superduke
Suzuki SV650S
Does the audio clip when you're traveling at high speeds? I know I tend to scream into the mic when going fast haha

Not really. It's pretty damn good. I will have been a member for a week as of tomorrow so I think I'll be able to post a link to my vlog tomorrow. If you want to check just search for tarmacjapan on YouTube. The Motovlog #1 is with this setup

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts