Passwords...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyderRider15

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
2009 Ninja 250r SE
Do we really need to have the mix case rule? Its a little annoying.

Bloodkraze

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
I ride a
2006 Triumph Rocket III
RyderRider15 said:

It requires 1 capital letter, I don't see that as being annoying when you put it as the first letter. It's not like you need to be a teenage girl and go "ThIsIsMyPaSsWoRd1"

RyderRider15

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
2009 Ninja 250r SE
Bloodkraze said:
RyderRider15 said:

It requires 1 capital letter, I don't see that as being annoying when you put it as the first letter. It's not like you need to be a teenage girl and go "ThIsIsMyPaSsWoRd1"
Still annoying imo

ToastToGo

Wannabie Member
Jul 22, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Honda SuperHawk
RyderRider15 said:

It's something that you can easily get used to. :cool:

If you have a browser that can save passwords, it wouldn't really matter after the first log-in anyway.

RyderRider15

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
2009 Ninja 250r SE
ToastToGo said:
RyderRider15 said:

If you have a browser that can save passwords, it wouldn't really matter after the first log-in anyway.
I do, and I use that. However thats part of the problem lol. One day ima clear my data and forget what letter is a cap. I don't see why we have to be forced to use caps if we don't want to. I have nothing against case sensitive, but I don't want to use it :oops:

Bloodkraze

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
I ride a
2006 Triumph Rocket III
RyderRider15 said:
ToastToGo said:
RyderRider15 said:

I do, and I use that. However thats part of the problem lol. One day ima clear my data and forget what letter is a cap. I don't see why we have to be forced to use caps if we don't want to. I have nothing against case sensitive, but I don't want to use it :oops:

After the entire userbase got messed up because of a password that might not have been completely secure I am very happy that the new password rule requires at least some diversity in what can be entered.

RyderRider15

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
2009 Ninja 250r SE
Bloodkraze said:
After the entire userbase got messed up because of a password that might not have been completely secure I am very happy that the new password rule requires at least some diversity in what can be entered.

But shouldn't that be up to us? Also the more rules for passwords the less diversity you have

JollyRoger

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Ottawa
I ride a
2002 R6
RyderRider15 said:
Bloodkraze said:

But shouldn't that be up to us? Also the more rules for passwords the less diversity you have

...it's just a password with one capital letter. It is not a problem to put in once, nor is it a problem for you to make the first letter a capital if you are struggling to remember it.

If the site got hacked from a leaked/stolen password it would be irresponsible for the site admin's to let people have weak passwords, so it's helping everyone.

As for diversity - really? I doubt making someone put a capital letter in their password will reduce diversity a great deal.

Ducman69

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Houston, TX
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki VStrom
RyderRider15 said:
As an IT Monkey, no, extra requirements introduces greater complexity. Most places require at least 8-characters, alphanumeric, with a capital or special character nowadays. Too much butt-raping hacked accts otherwise. :)

RyderRider15

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
2009 Ninja 250r SE
Ducman69 said:
RyderRider15 said:
As an IT Monkey, no, extra requirements introduces greater complexity. Most places require at least 8-characters, alphanumeric, with a capital or special character nowadays. Too much butt-raping hacked accts otherwise. :)
But wouldn't having a req lighten the load on the hacker? Now they know there are mixed cases, instead of being in the dark if the user is using mixed casing or not. Also I fail to see how my account being hacked would really effect anyone but me, so why force the mixed casing?

Bloodkraze

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
I ride a
2006 Triumph Rocket III
RyderRider15 said:
Ducman69 said:
RyderRider15 said:
But wouldn't having a req lighten the load on the hacker? Now they know there are mixed cases, instead of being in the dark if the user is using mixed casing or not. Also I fail to see how my account being hacked would really effect anyone but me, so why force the mixed casing?

No not at all. Seeing as how most people would share your mentality of "Well, having mixed cases is annoying" a large majority of people would make their password all lower case just in case they happened to forget it they won't have to remember "Is this one of those websites that used mixcase?". No matter what you say it's still fact that the most used passwords are always ones that have lower case and/or obvious sequences.

RyderRider15

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
2009 Ninja 250r SE
Bloodkraze said:
No not at all. Seeing as how most people would share your mentality of "Well, having mixed cases is annoying" a large majority of people would make their password all lower case just in case they happened to forget it they won't have to remember "Is this one of those websites that used mixcase?". No matter what you say it's still fact that the most used passwords are always ones that have lower case and/or obvious sequences.
Still fail to see why we have to use mixed casing.

ParisianZee

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Paris, France
www.parisianzee.com
I ride a
2011 BMW F800-R
RyderRider15 said:
Still fail to see why we have to use mixed casing.

Explaining that requires some maths.

How many combinations are there for a one-letter, lower case password ? Well, 26.

How about two letters ? 26x26=676 possible combinations.

So how many combinations are there for an 8-letter lower case password ?

Well : 26^8 combinations, that's precisely 208,827,064,576.00 combinations (208 billion).

If you add the lower case & upper case rule, you get 52 possible letters (because 26*2, either a or A, b or B, etc.), therefore 52^8 combinations, about 53,459,728,531,456.00 (53 trillion) combinations.

Now add in the fact that you can also put a symbol in the password, such as a £ or a € or a &, etc... and you'll get 60+ possible characters. Giving you a grand total of 167,961,600,000,000.00 (167 trillion) combinations. Add in numbers as well, and then you get 70+ possible elements (because there are 10 more possibilities per digit).

And that's just with 8-character passwords ! Imagine the numbers if you had even bigger passwords !

Now you might think that, if there are so many possible combinations, why use long complicated passwords when a small one already provides loads of combinations ?

Because today you can find brute force hacking software that does the work for you, and makes it easier if you know the person you're trying to hack a bit.

Let's say you know someone's real name, girlfriend name, pet name, place and date of birth and all that. You'll input this data as possible passwords or possible things present in passwords, and the brute force hacking program will then automatically try loads and loads of combinations until it gets in. So 167 trillion combinations isn't all that much for a computer program, especially if it already has clues.

To sum it all up, here's a graph.

passwords.jpg

As you can see, the higher the possibilities, the steeper the combinations line. Look at the difference between upper/lower and upper/lower/number/symbol !! And you can't even see the "lower case only" line in this plot...

FYI :

combinations.jpg

Yeah I'm bored at work :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts