Option To Hide The Country Flag Or Make Is Static.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
I'm not comfortable with anyone being able to easily tell if I am out of the country as I travel a lot for work, which they can currently do if I access the forum from another location.

Is there any option to make the country flag static or hide it altogether?

Is anyone else bothered by security or just me? :p

Cheers.

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
Flags won't be removed I'm afraid. A lot more people suggested it some time ago.

Don't put your location in your videos or tell anyone where you're from, happy days

GixxersShadow

Asylum Ryders
Sep 12, 2014
Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
I ride a
K5 GSX-R600
I can care less if people know what state, territorial, or country I'm in. I'm an explorer, everyone that knows me, know that. Good thing i wasn't on this site when I was severing in Afghanstan. They would make for some interesting vlogs....

Reactions: dandoolittle

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
Good thing i wasn't on this site when I was severing in Afghanstan

And I nod my head to you in respect fella :)

p.s the site only shows country so they'd need to be pretty desperate to track you down via here. I don't even allow IPs to be shown to the 'public'

GixxersShadow

Asylum Ryders
Sep 12, 2014
Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
I ride a
K5 GSX-R600
From my experience if someone really wants to find you, they will find you, like for example, I know the area where BakerXderek lives, and from his videos know exactly where he lives. Now I'm not even trying to find him, I just know the location well. Like I said, people can find anyone if they really want too.
And I nod my head to you in respect fella :)
Thanks, 4 years and 2 tours were my experience, Marine Corps did me a solid. I always encouraged peeps to due there part, ever tho we really shouldn't be there still. Sorry to get off topic... @SwissMotard

Reactions: dandoolittle

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
No worries Gixxer, I'm not one of those anal people who get bent out of shape when the topic strays slightly ;)

You are right that people can find you if you want, but the flags dynamically changing based on IP address means if someone knows where you live, they can easily tell if you're away from home and rob you. This has been in the news pretty recently too and is a growing trend.

This is especially concerning as you know everyone on here has a high value good that is easily stolen; their bike, and as motovloggers it is very easy for people to determine where we live, even the most careful of us can't hide our address if someone really wants to find us.

I just find it very strange that I can't choose to lock the flag to a specific one, a lot of forums fixed this security issue a long time ago.

RoninK6

Rogue Samurai
May 14, 2014
Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.A.
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2006 Suzuki GSX-R600K6
Is @SwissMotard in the phonebook or something :eek: ??? No offense or anything, but I could care less if someone knew if I was away from home... they don't have my name or address and that's the way I like to keep it :p . Someone'd have to be pretty desperate to try to track me down and steal my bike when they could go straight to downtown and take one off the street from there :p ~

...now if you're supposed to be out of the country on business to France and you're actually in Germany, then there could be a problem (with the flag ;) ).....

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
It's not a security issue at all. It's a feature that you don't like, the only person who's ever commented about it.

It will remain as an ip flag. This website is more secure than 98% of forums on the Internet. You email, IP and other details are hidden and not shown to the public, unless you've allowed people to see it on your profile. The content you put in your videos are nothing to do with this site. The flags show how global this website is. It won't be changing

The next time you say that this website is not secure is the very last time you log into it. This is the third time you had made out that this website is either insecure or had your channel banned, which is bollocks. The very software we use is one of the top selling in the world, this isn't some free script. This software is used by forums with 500k members and some of the busiest online

Don't tell where you live, film it and slap it on the internet for people to see. If its people you know offline, get new friends

Reactions: RoninK6

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
We have a problem in Switzerland with the French (and other neighbours) coming to burgle when they know the Swiss are away from home.

It's partly the Swiss' fault though as they're far too trusting and a lot of them don't even lock their doors, as historically the crime rate is so low.

This, along with the relative wealth of the country and impossible to protect borders, make them a large and easy target.

I'm not pushing the point Dan, as you have made your stance clear and I respect that, I just wanted to highlight the situation here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts