Opinions needed on new bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Honda Hornet - With Beast Of A Micron Exhaust
So, my dad is looking for a new bike. Current options are an SV1000 or similiar. He had a GPZ550 until i came along 17 years ago, and didnt ride again until i brought my GPZ500 in Febuary, since then he's ridden the GPZ, now with me about to pass my full bike test (hopefully). He is looking for a bike of his own, his current favoured option is the SV1000, what are your thought on this and any other suggestions. (BTW he's late 40's, a little bit tubby and has a bad back and greying, balding hair)

dxeavy

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Greece
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha V-Star 1100 and a Kawasaki Z750
I would recommend to demo ride as many as possible and get a real feel for it. I could name all kind of bikes but it's really something he should decide based on his level of comfort and of course finance :)

c90ftw

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
www.youtube.com
I ride a
06 ZX-6R (636)
Chessecake94 said:
Current options are an SV1000 or similiar... ...and greying, balding hair)
Ah well I wouldn't suggest the Sv1000 because the frame as well as riding position is set up for gingers. Your dad would have to dye his hair or get a transplant to ride it. ;)

The best thing to do is test sit. I know people with back problems that find supersports the most comfortable when others with the same pain find the supermoto's to be best. If he has back pain to begin with, he will need to test sit or test ride the bike to be sure. After all, there's no need in buying a bike that doesn't get ridden.

If hes looking along the lines of an sv1000, he could also look into an fz1 (tend to run lower than NADA low retail right now in the states, so it could be a good bargain), fz6, cbf1000, and maybe even the VFR. Those bikes tend to have a more neutral position; some more than others. Another option would be the fjr1300. [Sorry, All these models listed are the USA equivalents to my knowledge. I know they have EUR models that are the same, but I'm not sure their animal err i mean EUR counterpart names]

MisterX

Wannabie Member
Aug 15, 2011
www.TopEnd.tv
I ride a
2008 Kawasaki Z1000 & 2003 Triumph Speedmaster
dxeavy said:
I would recommend to demo ride as many as possible and get a real feel for it. I could name all kind of bikes but it's really something he should decide based on his level of comfort and of course finance :)
^^ Agreed

As for the SV1000, those are nice bikes. Not too much about them that I can say bad. They're fun for cruising around, going fast, they have a great sound, and the sitting position isn't too bad. Just my thoughts. However, like dxeavy said, he probably really needs to go out and sit on quite a few before he makes a decision. If that's an option.

Safalex

Wannabie Member
Aug 25, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha FZ6
dxeavy said:
that's the best advice. until he feels the bike there's no use in reading it's specs

Kindredice

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
2012 Yamaha R6
Indeed SV1000 is a great bike but a little on the aggressive side for someone just returning to biking with a bad back. If he really wants a liter bike, i'd say FZ1 has a more relaxed riding position with a whooping 140+ hp R1 engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R-Rated General Moto Talk 0

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts