Not open for further replies.

pete86

Wannabie Member
Sep 1, 2011
Oxford
I ride a
Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Hi guys,

I've been watching people vlog for a while now and thought I'd give it a go!

I've just bought myself a Drift HD170, any of you guys using this cam have any tips or set ups? and where/how/what programme do you use for video editing. I'm a real n00b so any help in getting me started would be great.

Would you recommend any accessories and the best place (best priced) to get them from? (I'm based in the uk.)

I'll record something over the weekend and see if I can get it on the youtube.

Thanks for any help.

ToastToGo

Wannabie Member
Jul 22, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Honda SuperHawk
Welcome. :) Start off with the mic sensitivity to 1, and place the microphone away from your mouth because it's pretty dang sensitive. I have mine up near my temple area, some put it behind a cheek pad. After you've done a test, modify accordingly. :) Nice bike you've got. Picture?

Chrus600

Wannabie Member
Aug 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6S Diversion
I have the mic just below my mouth and it works fine...

I tend to load the video files into Windows Movie Maker, edit it all, publish it in there at full quality settings then run it through Handbrake to shrink it. Works out about 300MB per 10 mins with 30FPS @ 720p, might be able to sqidge it further with some tinkering.

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Honda Hornet - With Beast Of A Micron Exhaust
I use videopad, better mote advanced version of wmm. About £20 for the basic version which is more than enough.

BrianWest58

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Terre Haute, Indiana
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST1050, KX250 and various other instruments of two wheeled death.
Welcome to the community! :cool:
WMM here too. I used a black permanent marker for indexing the clip on the helmet mount so I can return it after mounting elsewhere. Same for the lens. My mic is clipped to the cheekpad at the #2 setting. (1 was giving me too much wind noise) 60 fps/ 720 all the time. Like everyone is saying, play with it and you'll sort out your preferences.

pete86

Wannabie Member
Sep 1, 2011
Oxford
I ride a
Thanks guys, well I've just unboxed the camera tonight and charging it up. I'll need to get an external mic for it but I will have a play over the weekend, the weather looks pretty alright for a ride.

I'll work on getting a picture of my bike up, I will warn you though... she is sexy!

pete86

Wannabie Member
Sep 1, 2011
Oxford
I ride a
I've just had a play with WMM and I'm surprised how easy it was to use so I'll stick with that for now and maybe move onto something else later.

pete86

Wannabie Member
Sep 1, 2011
Oxford
I ride a
How has everybody attached the camera to their helmets using what you get in the standard kit (£30 for a mount is far to expensive.. I could make one for less!)

BrianWest58

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Terre Haute, Indiana
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST1050, KX250 and various other instruments of two wheeled death.
Should come with the helmet mount. Find where it points before permanent attachment. Use tape to hold it on, put the helmet on, record a small bit and look at the footage. Repeat until you get it. Mines on the right others on the left side.

Chrus600

Wannabie Member
Aug 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6S Diversion
I've got mine velcro'd to the top of my helmet using the helmet mount. I used my own white velcro on the actual helmet as I wanted it to be more subtle when I didn't have the mount attached. (I have a matte white lid)

RideXRide

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Radford, VA
I ride a
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 636
I used the helmet mount that was included in the box. Make sure to check where it's pointing before mounting the camera, I almost really messed up the angle.

EEEKROAR

Wannabie Member
Sep 2, 2011
I ride a
2009 Gsxr 600
I use WMM. I have my mic clipped onto my fog shield.I had to make sure when shooting in 720p at 50fps that I changed the setting when saving on WMM to custom 720 with 50fps. It kept saving them as 30 and would make my videos skip once uploaded to you tube.

pete86

Wannabie Member
Sep 1, 2011
Oxford
I ride a
Ive just been out and recorded a nice long ride but the videos wont transfer into wmm (smaller ones do) any ideas?

EEEKROAR

Wannabie Member
Sep 2, 2011
I ride a
2009 Gsxr 600
What does it say? What frame rate, and definition are you using?
Longer videos should not be a problem. I get 45min+ videos to upload fine. When you click add video, does it have a little loading bar at the left.Under were the display screen is?

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Currently: 2004 CB 919 - Previous rides - Honda Hornet 600 aka CB599 - Previous: 1999 Honda VTR 250: Previous Honda f4i - Previous: CBR 929 Previous: DRZ400sm: Previous 2006 gsxr 600: Previous 1989 Honda Spada VT250
pete86 said:
Hi guys,

I've been watching people vlog for a while now and thought I'd give it a go!

I've just bought myself a Drift HD170, any of you guys using this cam have any tips or set ups? and where/how/what programme do you use for video editing. I'm a real n00b so any help in getting me started would be great.

Would you recommend any accessories and the best place (best priced) to get them from? (I'm based in the uk.)

I'll record something over the weekend and see if I can get it on the youtube.

Thanks for any help.

mic setting one

720P mode on standard ISO setting

30 fps. as thats what uttube does, - any other frames and its just wasted

the mic inserted into cheek PAD. with extra DB killer foam inside to get rid of background noise

I use Mpeg steam clip to edit files into cut clips.

i save files in 10mbits per second file size as this is the same file save rate as the camera records, thus no video loss.

export in native format

pete86

Wannabie Member
Sep 1, 2011
Oxford
I ride a
I was using 720 60fps (now changed to 30fps) i think its the memory card. I'll try another one tonight and see

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Currently: 2004 CB 919 - Previous rides - Honda Hornet 600 aka CB599 - Previous: 1999 Honda VTR 250: Previous Honda f4i - Previous: CBR 929 Previous: DRZ400sm: Previous 2006 gsxr 600: Previous 1989 Honda Spada VT250
pete86 said:
I was using 720 60fps (now changed to 30fps) i think its the memory card. I'll try another one tonight and see

its windows movie maker, it hates mov files.

that whole editing program is a glitch lol

pete86

Wannabie Member
Sep 1, 2011
Oxford
I ride a
Are there any other freebies out there i could try it all out with? I dont want to spend anything else until i know it works

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts