General New Bike Reveal

willph

Wannabie Member
Sep 6, 2015
I ride a
2011 Ducati 848EVO
I just shot a reveal video for another local motovlogger here in NS, Canada.
loved seeing your angles, but the pans need to be a tad bit smoother.
I loved your focus pulls tho! Good job!

JonJeoprdy

Wanderer...
May 16, 2016
Colorado
I ride a
F800GS
I just shot a reveal video for another local motovlogger here in NS, Canada.
loved seeing your angles, but the pans need to be a tad bit smoother.
I loved your focus pulls tho! Good job!

Thanks for the feedback! Any suggestions on getting smooth pans? I was fighting with them, and never really came up with a great solution.

willph

Wannabie Member
Sep 6, 2015
I ride a
2011 Ducati 848EVO
Thanks for the feedback! Any suggestions on getting smooth pans? I was fighting with them, and never really came up with a great solution.

I also had some issues with smooth pans. Best advice that my friend gave me was move from the hip or shift weight with legs. Moving the camera with your arms rarely results in a slow smooth pan. Also pan further than you need to and start BEFORE where you intend to start.
OR get a tripod with a pan head. and then practice the pan over and over. For the shoot I just did, it was 3 hours of shooting for 25 seconds of video that he chose to use. We practice each shot over and over and over.
Another option is to get a gimbal....then you don't have to worry about being overly smooth and can just let the electronics handle it.
Or a rail system.

JonJeoprdy

Wanderer...
May 16, 2016
Colorado
I ride a
F800GS
I also had some issues with smooth pans. Best advice that my friend gave me was move from the hip or shift weight with legs. Moving the camera with your arms rarely results in a slow smooth pan. Also pan further than you need to and start BEFORE where you intend to start.
OR get a tripod with a pan head. and then practice the pan over and over. For the shoot I just did, it was 3 hours of shooting for 25 seconds of video that he chose to use. We practice each shot over and over and over.
Another option is to get a gimbal....then you don't have to worry about being overly smooth and can just let the electronics handle it.
Or a rail system.

Makes good sense. Have you tried using your editing software to do the panning? Most of this video was shot with my Canon 70D which shoots in 1080. I was thinking about trying the software pan, but wasn't sure how much the resolution of my camera would be a limiting factor.

willph

Wannabie Member
Sep 6, 2015
I ride a
2011 Ducati 848EVO
Looks better when you self pan instead of software pan. Software pan works if you shoot wider and crop in.
Still need to be shot with a tripod I think
June 15th, my behind the scenes of shooting a bike reveal video comes out. It is just my gopro sitting off to the side and timelapseing us doing the video shooting. 3 hours of shooting sped up to 3 minutes.

JonJeoprdy

Wanderer...
May 16, 2016
Colorado
I ride a
F800GS
I will do some experimenting and see what works. Looking on amazon getting a basic pan-head for a tripod isn't terribly expensive, I think I might pick one up in the not to distant future.

I'll be interested to check out your behind the scenes vid.

willph

Wannabie Member
Sep 6, 2015
I ride a
2011 Ducati 848EVO
I will do some experimenting and see what works. Looking on amazon getting a basic pan-head for a tripod isn't terribly expensive, I think I might pick one up in the not to distant future.

I'll be interested to check out your behind the scenes vid.

It is here:

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts