My thoughts about vlogging, being new to it and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

senthx

Wannabie Member
Jan 8, 2012
Bedfordshire
I ride a
BMW 650 Sertao, Honda XR 250, Suzuki VanVan
So I've not been doing this that long, and I'm not very good at it, but I'm having fun, so all the time it's fun I shall carry on.

Do I film all the time, or just on trips I think should be eventful?

Sods law dictates all the time. Leave the camera behind, something interesting will happen!
My friend very inconsiderately crashed when I'd switched my camera to photo every 3 second mode. :lol:
Even every 2 second would have been better. If i'd been filming, I'd have probably caught my first youtube clip to get into the thousands. :roll:

Keep it short, or audience targeted.

I think I should go for short and sweet clips.
Like 30 to 90 seconds. What I find interesting others might not, so they should be focused.
UNLESS - club ride outs for example, we go out for a day's ride, I film for 4.5 hours, and then try and upload 15 minutes highlights, I've got a very small ready audience, the people that went on the ride out mostly. If it interests them, it's good enough for me.

Come up with some ideas.

Time to stop just filming, (well not filming, see my first post) uploading the same old same old clips of me riding in the same area(s), though the first handful were little more than test clips anyway. I think that I will try to store these clips though, for possible future use, who knows.

So, ideas. Well my Frank Spencer / Some Mother's Do Ave Em clip was rubbish, I could see what I wanted to do, but I lacked the editing skills to make it work well.

Ideas for the future;

Quick tour of my bike, and how it's looking after 4 years, try to catch the odometer rolling past 30,000 miles in that clip too, it's coming up to 28,000. Quick tour of my wifes bike. Maybe a compare and contrast of what life's like on the road riding each bike, a 1000cc and a 125cc

5 / 10 minute chat about motorcycle parking, do a tour of the bike bays in my town, they are "unique" there is not a single traditional one, like on the road, marked out with white paint.

A "how to" get on the channel tunnel on a bike, from arriving at the terminal, to punching the ticket out and getting on.

Ride the whole of the A13, and set it to the tune Go Motoring on the A13 by Billy Bragg.

An edited highlights clip of all my night ride filming.

Before I do most of that though, I will have to sort the sound out, I have an external mic, but I'm not getting on that well with it, sound is an issue on virtually all clips using the internal mic. Overcome the hatred of my own voice played back to me, and my embarrassment and fear of other people thinking I either talk rubbish, or sound like Mister Bean.

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Currently: 2004 CB 919 - Previous rides - Honda Hornet 600 aka CB599 - Previous: 1999 Honda VTR 250: Previous Honda f4i - Previous: CBR 929 Previous: DRZ400sm: Previous 2006 gsxr 600: Previous 1989 Honda Spada VT250
some of thsoe are good points.

most users loose intrest and swap videos after 2 to 4 mins.

i genrally keep vids less then 5 mins,

a quick intro to capture attention
mabye this will help

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
I like your ideas!

Wish I'd thought of one or two myself first. :p

noddydon

Wannabie Member
Jan 6, 2012
Kent UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Jinlun 250-2
Until very recently vlogging was virtually unknown to me although for the last four years I have videod our group rides during the Summer months. Four years ago even that was new to me but some basics were learned.

Group rides - about fifteen minutes duration including a clip of each rider and their bike both parked and being ridden. Scenes of the destination and of the tradional meal - fish and chips! Enough video for a "memory moment" of the day for everyone.

Personal rides - couild be any length as it may includes several stops for local scenery, quant buildings, churches or just an orchard of blossom or a water scene.

Vlogs - still learning this one! Would say 10 minutes tops per video and including some of the above. Definitely, now the Drift Stealth has come along, getting off the bike for a walkaround if something interesting comes along. All this whilst talking. Now talking doesn't come easy being a quiet guy so that will have to improve.

So perhaps the general rule may well be "short and varied".

Don

XXX526

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Missouri
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
A newbee myself - although not having a capable camera has hindered my development. But no more! Even if I have to revert to the tried and true sales tactics of huge-boobed girls, weight-loss promises and pizza gorging, I shall prevail ...... someday! :lol:

Wildbill

Wannabie Member
Jan 26, 2012
Ontario
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2000 Honda Firestorm 1000
My view on this
1. Video should be no longer than 5-7 min in length. The majority of people will not invest the time into watch a 10-15 min video because they are subbed to so many others. Sad but true

2. Try to avoid the already beaten to death topics

3. Viewer will usually hit the close/ back button if you don't grab their attention within the first 30 sec

4. Keep the flow of your video going. Avoid long pauses/humms/ahhhs and such. You want to keep them focused.

5. Best topics seem to be about upbeat and some what personal life events

gpzDave

Wannabie Member
Sep 25, 2011
Fife, Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Speed Four & Honda FES125
Wildbill said:
My view on this
1. Video should be no longer than 5-7 min in length. The majority of people will not invest the time into watch a 10-15 min video because they are subbed to so many others. Sad but true

2. Try to avoid the already beaten to death topics

3. Viewer will usually hit the close/ back button if you don't grab their attention within the first 30 sec

4. Keep the flow of your video going. Avoid long pauses/humms/ahhhs and such. You want to keep them focused.

5. Best topics seem to be about upbeat and some what personal life events

I think that is all very good advice, especially keeping videos short, the shorter the better.

Chuckles85

Wannabie Member
Nov 9, 2011
I ride a
FZ6N
still can't seem to post 6 min vlogs, I find myself wanting to talk about to much stuff :)

BritishMotovlogger

Wannabie Member
Dec 9, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha YBR
Chuckles85 said:
still can't seem to post 6 min vlogs, I find myself wanting to talk about to much stuff :)
opposite to me, I don't know what to talk about. Feels a bit stupid talking to myself in a helmet! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts