Close Sidebar
Dismiss Notice
We have a few hidden forums and features that you can't see until you login or sign up. We only send about 4 emails a year and never sell anything. We're a global community for bikers who like to record videos. We run this site for fun

Moving Up From A 200cc To 1000cc Sportbike Or 600cc?

Discussion in 'General Moto Talk' started by RiderInRed, Nov 13, 2017.

1. RiderInRed

RiderInRed Armenia The guy who rides in red

Armenia
    Is this a good idea? I'm thinking of moving up to a bigger bike but not quite sure on what to get. I got a good offer from a friend on an R1 2007.

I'm going to be riding in the city mainly and while it's not a daily work commute I'm still going to be driving in traffic.

I've heard a lot of people say R6 isn't the best bike for the city and that R1 will be more comfortable to ride at lower speeds/rpms.

What I'm wanting to buy is something that'll stay with me for good few years.

TL;DR: Riding on a 200cc sportbike, thinking of moving up to either R6 or R1. Ergonomics isn't a problem for me. Just wondering if R1 might be too much for me to handle?

Been riding for good two years and I'm pretty mature, so speeding or anything illegal isn't something I'm really looking into.

R-Rated likes this.
  2. R-Rated

R-Rated United States Have Fun!

United States
    Years ago I knew someone asking a similar question. I heard one of our other friends point out that the throttle is variable. A person does not need to go wide open throttle like on a smaller bike.

One issue I would be concerned with is engine temperature management I traffic.

RiderInRed likes this.
  3. RiderInRed

Armenia
    Could you elaborate a little more on the last point?

I've heard an argument that a liter bike tends to ride easily in the city and since you have torque thruout the powerband, you don't have to keep it up in the rev range. Thus you can ride at lower gears. Thus you don't push the temps on the engine too far as you would on an R6

R-Rated likes this.
  4. R-Rated

United States
    Well, I think you are on the right track, lower RPMs can lead to lower engine temperature but the R1 has larger cylinders and would have more fire per cylinder. I would check for forums on each model and specifically look for anyone complaining about engine Temps or radiator problems.

5. Undead MV

Undead MV United States If there is light, there shall be dark

United States
    Having an R1 to ride in the city is not the best option, at low speeds it can get hot and uncomfortable next to your legs, besides is not the handiest bike on traffic

6. HippoDrone

HippoDrone United Kingdom Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

United Kingdom
    I hate riding sportsbikes in traffic, they are so uncomfortable. TBH, jumping from a 200cc bike to a 600cc sportsbike is a BIG jump in power, so you'd be just as likely to hurt yourself on that as you would the 1000cc sportsbike. Neither would be my choice but that is not what you are interested in.... Get the bike your heart tells you it wants.... but test ride one in the environment you want to use it (city traffic) before handing over any cash!

RiderInRed, Undead MV and R-Rated like this.
  7. lupin

lupin Australia 2016 Solar Bear Champion.

Australia
    The jump in power and size means nothing, its still YOUR wrist that controls the speed.

Here is the thing with the R1 though. Its like riding a oven, especially at low speeds. They really need the air flow to cool everything. Also when the fans kick it its almost though they are designed to blow the hot air onto you.

I'd suggest a test ride on a warmer day to see if you can handle the heat or not.

8. EDcase

EDcase United Kingdom -=RC8=-

United Kingdom
    For town riding a 600 is the highest I'd recommend.
    Higher CC engines produce more heat and are less fuel efficient.
    Larger capacity bikes are also heavier, harder to nip in and out of traffic. Sports bikes have terrible turning circle compared to nakeds.

Its true that you control the power but higher CC means you have to be much smoother with control. Any mistake with throttle is amplified with higher CC.

RiderInRed, Undead MV and R-Rated like this.
  9. Lurch

Lurch United Kingdom Administrator

United Kingdom
    Having had a Sprint 1050 sports tourer (more sports position than touring), and a Street Triple 675, I’d take the Street as a town bike any day.

Only thing I have against the street is that you can’t easily do luggage.

PlanZ and RiderInRed like this.
  10. Jafnhaar

Jafnhaar United Kingdom Riding Triumph Sprint GT SE 1050

United Kingdom
    If you're worried about the power, it is gonna be a big jump, but at the end of the day it is your wrist and your maturity that will keep you safe & alive!!

and as Hippo said, test ride the few you have in mind in city traffic and see what suits you best buddy!

RiderInRed and WingManGT like this.
  11. RiderInRed

Armenia
    Hi guys and thanks for the input! I also appreciate the fact that you still addressed my initial question instead of telling me to get a cruiser or an ADV or something else that is better for the city.

Also thanks for the info about the heat. The thing is, I've heard people here who ride sportbikes say that a liter bike will work better in traffic due to low rev roque than an R6 for instance. I've still not had a chance to go and check the bike out in person, but will be doing that soon. If I don't like it, then it being a liter or not won't really matter anymore.

R-Rated likes this.
  12. R-Rated

United States
    Please update us on your experience of both as well as what you decide.

RiderInRed likes this.
  13. RiderInRed

Armenia
    Thanks I'll be checking out the R1 in a few days here. I've ridden R6s and liked the seat moer than a GSXR 600. Not sure I'll get to ride an R6 anytime soon since the season is closing so R1 is my last hope this year :D

bbut yeah I'll definitely keep you guys updated!

R-Rated and HippoDrone like this.
  14. PlanZ

PlanZ United Kingdom Wannabie Member

United Kingdom
    It's all but impossible to have one bike which is a good commuter but works for fun stuff too.
    What's the 200cc bike worth?
    I'd keep it and use that for the boring stuff and see how you get on with a sports bike in traffic.
    After a few trips with it the problems might make you prefer the small bike again to ride to work.
    I'd be concerned about security if you have to leave it on the street regularly too.

15. chrisw959

chrisw959 United Kingdom Wannabie Member

United Kingdom
    If you riding ride around the city I would keep the 200cc. I ride a 125cc on the daily and the ownly gripe I have is I live in a semi rural area and it does fine at 60mph so a 200cc would do perfectly. I did an event back in October and we were doing low speed riding and out of all the bikes that got hot it was the 1000cc's. Add I don't know your riding ability but jumping from a 200cc to a 1000cc sounds like a one way ticket the disaster. A 600cc would be better but if I was you I'd keep the 200cc

R-Rated likes this.
  16. R-Rated

United States
    I love the avatar Plan Z!

PlanZ and HippoDrone like this.