MotoVloggers Map of the World - next generation

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
As the old maps have become outdated and even not accessible, I have created a new version of the map. I will not try to import any old users from other maps manually, because the idea is to constantly keep it fresh.

In short:
Address: http://daub.pri.ee/mv/
Add yourself by clicking on the map, at your location. Please use common sense, do not point precisely at your home or office or other such place, that would allow stalkers to immediately locate you. Please also try to avoid putting a pin directly on top of another pin, if other vloggers have already marked themselves in your area.
The map is only supposed to be a visual aid, for people who are interested of vloggers of specific areas (town, country, continent).
This map is not hosted and\or maintained by motovlog.com forum, but is inspired by the community and previous similar undertakings.

What is different on my map, from the previous ones
One or two of the maps has been on google maps, one has been on zeemaps. Both of them require money now, to function in a usable way. I went with openstreet, because that is currently still not limited.The data will be stored in a database, separate from the map provider, which means if the map provider stops to function, but I am still alive and kicking, I can just migrate to another solution, without losing the active users list.
Previous maps have been either completely maintained by one person, or not controlled at all. I am aiming in between that. Everyone can register, and are responsible for keeping their marker "alive" on the map. Meaning, if a year passes, you will get a notification, that the marker is expiring and you need to confirm you are still active. If you do not, the marker will dissapear from the map, a month later. This ensures, we will not have old markers filling the map, and stealing attention from actually active motovloggers.
For such control to be possible, you will need to provide a real e-mail address, in order to register. This data is not kept in my personal computer or a home built server, but in a database, maintained by a professional hosting company, where I also keep my own data. This means encryption and backups. Unless something drastic happens, I will not mail you. You will only get one mail for confirming the mail address is real and then next ones on yearly intervals, until you fail to extend.
Once the marker expires and is removed from the map, there is another month of grace time, to use the extension link. After that data will be deleted from the database. If you want to get your marker back on the map after that, you will need to register again. The goal here, is to avoid keeping personal data (e-mail), for any longer than absolutely necessary. You can always create a separate mail for using the map, but you still need to remember to check it in time to extend.
I added a security (bot avoidance) question, that changes in time. The answers should not be too difficult and I have tried to figure out different ways of answering the same thing, so most realistic answers should be accepted. Hopefully that, in combination with the mail verification, will reduce a chance of bots attacking the map.

If some data needs to be changed, on an active marker, I need to do that manually. If you need your marker to be deleted, before it expires, I will need to do that manually. You can use this thread or private message in the forum, for that.

Any questions, suggestions and concernes
can be posted in this thread or sent by forums private message to me.

Please use common sense:
Please do not put the map marker directly to a location, that would allow stalkers to locate your home or office. Use center of town, county, etc.
Please try to avoid putting markers too close together, so it makes difficult for users to choose which one they are clicking, even when zoomed in.
Please do not put your real name in the "display name" field, unless that is the name you actively present yourself with, when vlogging. That field is meant for channel\brand name, that you are known for in social media.
Please do not enter any too silly or deliberately offensive text in any of the fields.
Please do not enter any data that would make you vulnerable, like personal details, credit card numbers or anything worse.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
:cool: cheers @HippoDrone and @Dewey316 for being the first two brave.

Also, do not worry about the two odd markers in the Atlantic. I just put them there as a final test, to make sure the cron job works and these markers should automatically dissapear in 2 months.

• Love
Reactions: HippoDrone

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I apologize for the double post.
The mail issue could be either receiving mail server blocking or spam filter. Difficult to say. My tests show mails coming through to me to private and known servers.
I added a possibility to verify later, with a link, which is now included in the first mail. In case the mail just takes its sweet time to arrive. This will not matter, if the mail address has been entered incorrectly though :)

Reactions: Riderguide

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Thanks, for the addition @SighBored
Currently I added the varying colors only because if some markers end up too close together, it is easier to spot, that there are more than one. Currently the colors are completely random every time you watch. In the long run, I would like to have nicer looking markers, but I am no designer, so this is what we got right now :p For having really personalized colors, I might need to switch to vector markers instead, and I don't know how to do that exactly, yet. But thank you, for the idea.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Thanks, for the addition @SighBored
Currently I added the varying colors only because if some markers end up too close together, it is easier to spot, that there are more than one. Currently the colors are completely random every time you watch. In the long run, I would like to have nicer looking markers, but I am no designer, so this is what we got right now :p For having really personalized colors, I might need to switch to vector markers instead, and I don't know how to do that exactly, yet. But thank you, for the idea.
Yes it will be a bit hard to see if the markers are close to each other, the other suggestion would be to upload a small PNG that will be filled in the middle of the marker white circle. But all depends when you figure out how to do it.

Thumbs up!

[Edit]
If the map works well I think you can speak with @dandoolittle about making it part of the motovlog.com site.. I think that would be quite nice, perhaps embed into the site with a link or something would be cool.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Indeed, it would be nice, but I believe they are not interested in that. Also the previous map solutions, that have now ended up not working or not updated, were not part of the forum, but rather other enthusiasts keeping them up, parallel to this forum. If something changes, I am all for collaboration though ;)

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
@scooterwuf did you get the mail with the confirmation code?

edit: I don't think you have. I do not see inactive entries in the database. Could it be you tried to register, but you were shown the same registration form again, with one or more fields marked with red? This means entries of those fields were not accepted.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
@LandyVlad Not sure if you mean openstreetmaps in general, or specifically the map with motovloggers on it.
For the first one,yes, absolutely, it does not need to be full screen, they have a whole wiki and apis library.
For the second one, I am not 100% sure what would be the best way, maybe with an iframe?.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts