Md80 okay for starting out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloke

Wannabie Member
Sep 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6-S Diversion
So i'm thinking of trying out vlogging and well at the moment I have an md80 clone I picked up about a year back that I use for safety more than anything, just wondering if you guys think it's suitable to start vlogging with.

Or do I genuinely have to go out there and buy a full hd capable camera?

Only problem is I'm not comfortable jamming a camera in my helmet in front of my face. I don't want to buy a go pro right away especially as I don't know if I'll stick at this for any length of time, just quite fancy doing it at the moment.

What are your views?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

JollyRoger

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Ottawa
I ride a
2002 R6
yeah it works OK. video is not fantastic but you get what you pay for with something costing £12. I used mine first and stuck it in the helmet and on the bike - have a look at some of my first videos for explanation/example of the output.

c90ftw

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
www.youtube.com
I ride a
06 ZX-6R (636)
I have a few 808 camera vids on my page. Most are from my jeep. The md80 and 808 run off of VERY similar hardware. I'd say use the md80 if you are eating ramen noodles and siphoning gas from your neighbors H2 since he won't notice anyways. Otherwise, I would suggest getting a mid range camera. I'm partial to the bloggie, but if you dont feel comfy with something in your snozz, try out an externally mounted camera. GP hero's can be a good mid range (albeit higher end of mid range) camera to test the waters with. They will most likely hold their value right now too since they are atleast 2 waves out of the newest technology.

btw, here is an 808 video (one of many on my channel): the audio is terrrriiible
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj-94AMm3LU[/youtube]

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
I had an md80 when I started.

I haven't posted a single video from it. It was so demotivational to watch, and after a lot of thought I decided to either give up or take the plunge and get a gopro. Was worth it in the end I think...

gpzDave

Wannabie Member
Sep 25, 2011
Fife, Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Speed Four & Honda FES125
The MD80 camera is the perfect 1st motovlogging camera, cheap, small and the quality is acceptable. But you will probably wish it was better quality before long.

I did a review in April of the CBR250R using the MD80 camera and the quality was 'OK', though in hindsight I wish I had used a HD cam... ;)

Sony Bloggie HD seems good to me so far, btw it also takes very good pictures, 5MP and excellent quality for a video camera. Irrelevant to motovlogging perhaps but still a nice feature. :)

Bloke

Wannabie Member
Sep 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6-S Diversion
Hmm, so mid range is £150 :(

No plans for using it for audio really unless it works really well, I can do that post production or use a small voice recorder at the time.

Need something like a flip video in a mount friendly housing. The bloggie looks interesting just nowhere to mount it, tried my phone (galaxy s so does 1080p recording) last night and that thing was crushed into my chin.

Hmm, will give it a go with the md80 before I put the bike away for winter :)

CurlyBlakey

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
South Suffolk, UK
I ride a
2004 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer
I started on the MD80 and it did me fine, you never know whether you'll actually like vlogging till you try it, so the monetary outlay isnt too bad, should you really get into vlogging you will require a better cam, just the way things work!

Bloke

Wannabie Member
Sep 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6-S Diversion
Re: Re: Md80 okay for starting out?

gpzDave said:
Bloke said:
Hmm, will give it a go with the md80 before I put the bike away for winter :)

Why not ride through the winter? It's fun! :D
Lol I tried last winter and ended up on my arse. :)

Bloke

Wannabie Member
Sep 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6-S Diversion
Ah my bike was only 3 months old, feel bad that I'm still riding her with a hairline crack down the side of the fairing :( don't want that happening again :)

SqueakyBrakes12

Wannabie Member
Nov 29, 2011
Wolverhampton (UK)
I ride a
2003 Honda CBR600F
Sinnis Stealth (125cc)
My MD80 should be here tomorrow and I can't wait to try it out I'm not really fussed where it goes I'll just put in inside my helmet.
Will I need an external mic or sound recorder for it for improved sound?
Also will I need anything to reduce wind noise?

gpzDave

Wannabie Member
Sep 25, 2011
Fife, Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
SqueakyBreaks12 said:
My MD80 should be here tomorrow and I can't wait to try it out I'm not really fussed where it goes I'll just put in inside my helmet.
Will I need an external mic or sound recorder for it for improved sound?
Also will I need anything to reduce wind noise?

Here's a video I made almost a year ago with my initial set-up:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzUCQ7VfaiU[/youtube]

And here is a vlog talking about the second method I tried (which was much better):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_prf705tDrM[/youtube]

SqueakyBrakes12

Wannabie Member
Nov 29, 2011
Wolverhampton (UK)
I ride a
2003 Honda CBR600F
Sinnis Stealth (125cc)
Thanks for that really helpful where's the best place to get hold if heavy duty velcro? I'll try that way before I make myself a little bracket.

gpzDave

Wannabie Member
Sep 25, 2011
Fife, Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
SqueakyBreaks12 said:
Thanks for that really helpful where's the best place to get hold if heavy duty velcro? I'll try that way before I make myself a little bracket.

Type '3M Dual Lock' into eBay or any stationary store :)

TheSvBiker said:
Bought one used it twice, stopped working Must have been a bad batch, as others have vlogged with them.

It was quite temperamental when I used it, max 45 mins battery time, and sometimes switched itself off until I got used to the weird buttons, but thankfully it worked most of the time.

SqueakyBrakes12

Wannabie Member
Nov 29, 2011
Wolverhampton (UK)
I ride a
2003 Honda CBR600F
Sinnis Stealth (125cc)
Mine as finally arrived! Gunna get atleast 2 videos done with it tomorrow :)

I know you need an SD card but is it a standard card you'd get for a digital cam?
I've asked for a mini SD and they gave me a micro SD and that looks just abit too small but I haven't seen the slot on the camera for it yet so not sure what to buy.
Any help?

JollyRoger

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Ottawa
I ride a
2002 R6
SqueakyBreaks12 said:
Mine as finally arrived! Gunna get atleast 2 videos done with it tomorrow :)

I know you need an SD card but is it a standard card you'd get for a digital cam?
I've asked for a mini SD and they gave me a micro SD and that looks just abit too small but I haven't seen the slot on the camera for it yet so not sure what to buy.
Any help?

It's not a normal size SD card, it is micro SD which is what they gave you by the sounds of things. Also, I remember from mine the card goes in the slot the opposite way you think it should so don't force it :D

SqueakyBrakes12

Wannabie Member
Nov 29, 2011
Wolverhampton (UK)
I ride a
2003 Honda CBR600F
Sinnis Stealth (125cc)
JollyRoger said:
It's not a normal size SD card, it is micro SD which is what they gave you by the sounds of things. Also, I remember from mine the card goes in the slot the opposite way you think it should so don't force it :D

Thanks for that, I suppose you don't still have it or something to show me exactly what it looks like, I want to make sure I get the right one that's all haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts