Making these videos develops your intrapersonal skills!

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
So, I've come to realize that if you spend a lot of time developing your delivery on these videos, your speech delivery and self presentation skills progress significantly. With continuous practice you are slowly becoming more extraverted as you go. You are learning to speak a little louder, a little clearer, a little quicker, and with more positivity and enthusiasm. This carries over to your personal life and affects how you interact with people you meet. I've noticed a slight change already, and more so, have noticed how people react to me as well. It's all positive good things that can come out of this hobby, so keep practicing your public speaking skills!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Awesome to hear it is helping your real life as well dude! :)

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I have noticed this too - I now tend to bunch my words together into intelligible sequences of words [ie, sentences] instead of ums and ahs, but now my friends look at me funny when I screw up a sentence and say, "scrap that" and then pause for a few seconds.

-John

MachKneel

Insta : @flex_and_freedom
Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
Harley Davidson Softail 2021, Yamaha R6 2005
Sorry to late-crash but:

Couldn't agree more - our first vlog went live last night and I have already picked holes in it and know what to improve. It has helped me to annunciate my words more and speak much more clearly. Little ticks and cues that I do with my hands, head position, body language that all needs corrected for our next video. Live and learn I guess but I am enjoying the process and it is very fun and at the end of the day, it is just a hobby that goes in hand with my other hobby!

Thanks

John

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Amen to that! I have found that I actually look at the 2nd camera and talk to it quite frequently... probably too much. I'm still mainly focused on the road, but my helmet cam angle is almost unusable sometimes because I'm gesturing to the camera while speaking directly at it, instead of head-forward.

It's a constant evolution!

-John

Reactions: MachKneel

MachKneel

Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
Amen to that! I have found that I actually look at the 2nd camera and talk to it quite frequently... probably too much. I'm still mainly focused on the road, but my helmet cam angle is almost unusable sometimes because I'm gesturing to the camera while speaking directly at it, instead of head-forward.

It's a constant evolution!

-John

I am glad others are in the same boat! Makes me feel less anxious and stupid haha

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I am glad others are in the same boat! Makes me feel less anxious and stupid haha

Man, if I go back and try to watch my first videos, it's freakin' painful! With my newer stuff, even I enjoy a rewatch from time to time. I keep telling people it's a constant evolution. Gear, setups, practice, roads, topics, it's all constantly shifting around to "perfect" the art of the craft. For instance, I've got some things I plan to do with recently-captured footage that I've never done before, and I think the results will be great, even if @HippoDrone doesn't like music videos ;)

-John

Reactions: Baldbiker

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
Yep, and as our skills improve, it's all about finding the time, good weather and feeling good enough to get out and film!

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Yep, and as our skills improve, it's all about finding the time, good weather and feeling good enough to get out and film!

Haha, yeah, that. Except my problem now, is that I am running out of storage on my SSD... I have 3 or 4 rides in there, and with the 360 camera, they're all around 300 gigs each [the 4th project was a Hero 8/9 thing, no Max, so it's smaller] ... and I gotta hustle to get my stuff edited and moved off that drive so I can record more!

-John

Reactions: Baldbiker

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Sorry to late-crash but:

Couldn't agree more - our first vlog went live last night and I have already picked holes in it and know what to improve. It has helped me to annunciate my words more and speak much more clearly. Little ticks and cues that I do with my hands, head position, body language that all needs corrected for our next video. Live and learn I guess but I am enjoying the process and it is very fun and at the end of the day, it is just a hobby that goes in hand with my other hobby!

Thanks

John
Your first video was great guys :)

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Thank you very much Hippo...very anxiously pressed the ol' upload button :oops::confused:

We've all been there, done that. Also, don't be surprised if not much happens with the first few videos - it takes time to gain traction. So don't fret over the numbers, they'll get there - just look at how long some of us have been at it!

-John

MachKneel

Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
I have noticed this too - I now tend to bunch my words together into intelligible sequences of words [ie, sentences] instead of ums and ahs, but now my friends look at me funny when I screw up a sentence and say, "scrap that" and then pause for a few seconds.

-John

John : "Hey so how was umm work and your ummm day? ah never mind I'll edit that out later :confused:...."

Friend : ":rolleyes:...Huh?"

• Haha

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
John : "Hey so how was umm work and your ummm day? ah never mind I'll edit that out later :confused:...."

Friend : ":rolleyes:...Huh?"

Haha, pretty much!

To steal borrow from Doug Demuro: "Explained in the video." [something he says a lot in the comments section on a FB group dedicated to his niche] :D

-John

MachKneel

Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
We've all been there, done that. Also, don't be surprised if not much happens with the first few videos - it takes time to gain traction. So don't fret over the numbers, they'll get there - just look at how long some of us have been at it!

-John

Definitely...truth be told to have 9 subs and 200 views in less than 24 hours...I'm already very happy. I shall listen to you veterans!!

Loving this forum and the feedback! Just what I needed!!

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Definitely...truth be told to have 9 subs and 200 views in less than 24 hours...I'm already very happy. I shall listen to you veterans!!

I am HARDLY a veteran... I mean, I've been at this for only 7 months. There's plenty of vloggers here who have been at it for YEARS. I am just making up for a lack of experience with enthusiasm and sleep deprivation.

-John

• Haha
Reactions: YBGuy and Theodor

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR

Here are a couple things that really help a channel.

One, is to have consistent uploads even if you only start off posting once a month (bare min) is better than posting a video and then forgetting about the channel for 6 months. If you have the stamina for it, 1-2 videos a week seems like the sweet spot for the YouTube Algorithm.

Plus there is only so much time in the day, week, year. So when you have extra time create a bunch of videos and then set them on a schedule. This way you have some videos to release if work/life gets busy and you don't have time to produce more content.

This will make the whole YouTube/Video Creation experience more fun because you won't get posting anxiety if you are trying to stick to a schedule. Whether it's 2 videos a week, 1 video a month or somewhere in-between.

Two, in the beginning Quantity > Quality is OK because you need to practice, practice practice to get better at making videos. Then later on when you feel you have your workflows down and an idea of how you want to niche down your channel switch to Quality > Quantity of making videos.

Plus if you think you made a video that sucks (personal experience : P ) or it is just not quite right yet, still upload it, but just just don't make is public, use YouTube's unlisted status. This makes it so only people with the Playlist or Link can get to your video. You may still want to send the video to a buddy to get feedback or maybe you might want to use the video for reference purposes later.

Most important, do it because you like too. This is a great community and it is fun sharing videos. Hopefully you find this as a nice hobby, I do. : - ) If by sheer chance of luck I ever get monetized, I will treat that as a nice perk/bonus to this whole Video creation thing.

I have met a lot of nice people a long the way on this forum and in the motorcycle community. It really is a positive place. Enjoy!

Cheers,

YBG

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
Plus if you think you made a video that sucks (personal experience : P ) or it is just not quite right yet, still upload it
YBG

Sometimes we are out own worst critic, I really almost didn't upload a video, because I was to critical of myself, it has turned into by far my most popular video and has gained me by far the most subs. People really liked it and shared it and everything. Sometimes it is hard to watch ourself on video, we see little things that we aren't happy about, or embarrassed about, that no one else will see. It was a lesson learned. The only reason I posted it, was @Drakhen99 talked me into it. It was a good lesson for me. During your process of starting out, there will be videos you aren't sure about, and videos that will surprise you at how much people enjoy them, even if you may not think it is the best.

Reactions: YBGuy and Drakhen99

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts