MAG Protest ride 24th June

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomasstone69

Wannabie Member
May 14, 2012
I ride a
Kawasaki Ninja 250r
Hey guys, I'm not sure if there is already a topic on this but I couldnt find one.

MAG are doing a massive ride out on the 24th of June to protest against the new anti tampering laws being brought in by the EU, last year there were 40,000 riders that took part all over the UK so I thought I would let you all know incase anyone can come. Theres more information on where the rides will be starting from and where they go to here: http://www.mag-uk.org/en/campaignsdetail/a6989

CurlyBlakey

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
South Suffolk, UK
I ride a
2004 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer
I believe a lot of people were upset with how MAG had marketed the protest ride last time, i myself have read the basics of the laws and they're really not that bad.

tomasstone69

Wannabie Member
May 14, 2012
I ride a
Kawasaki Ninja 250r
From what I've researched (not from MAG) are
1. Compulsary ABS / TC
2. No handbook with new bikes to stop home servicing
3. No altering anything, not even exhausts, if found by a workshop they have to report it.
4. a computer that records G and speed of the bike and can be read by the police at any time.

Fair enough if these were put onto cars aswell but they wont be.

One of my sources: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... p=74094318

tomasstone69

Wannabie Member
May 14, 2012
I ride a
Kawasaki Ninja 250r
OFC this source is from mag last year I believe :) But theres plenty out there

tomasstone69

Wannabie Member
May 14, 2012
I ride a
Kawasaki Ninja 250r
Another major one was not letting older bikes ride in towns. Which is just pathetic.

CurlyBlakey

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
South Suffolk, UK
I ride a
2004 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer
tomasstone69 said:
From what I've researched (not from MAG) are
1. Compulsary ABS / TC
2. No handbook with new bikes to stop home servicing
3. No altering anything, not even exhausts, if found by a workshop they have to report it.
4. a computer that records G and speed of the bike and can be read by the police at any time.

Fair enough if these were put onto cars aswell but they wont be.

One of my sources: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... p=74094318

1. On new bikes yes
2. Nope, not gonna happen.
3. No alterations to the drive chain only except like for like replacements
4. Bullshit.

My source, the actual draft legislation, i'm sorry if it sounds harsh but they really are getting into a tiff over nothing, all the things they are scared of won't happen, it's there to stop idiots ruining engines and then selling them on.

tomasstone69

Wannabie Member
May 14, 2012
I ride a
Kawasaki Ninja 250r
Any chance you have a copy of the draft legislation? Would be interesting to take a look at it and compare it with what MAG are saying then!

CurlyBlakey

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
South Suffolk, UK
I ride a
2004 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer
It's a while since i read it, think it was on MCN or something, i don't have a copy but it's out and about somewhere, it's not the most enthralling read and i only did it because i had to do some work on EU legislation for college!

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
I spent a good hour today reading over the MAG site.

They state that the anti tampering laws will effect all motorcycles, but it didn't take me long to find ON THEIR OWN SITE that it'll only apply to motorbikes under 48bhp.

I know it's not much of a difference, but it's different from what they're stating.

Still, I like that they're standing up and showing that motorcyclists need a voice. Without them doing other work, I wouldn't be surprised if all these things were brought in. Everything their stating has been considered as being passed before.

tomasstone69

Wannabie Member
May 14, 2012
I ride a
Kawasaki Ninja 250r
Okay thanks, I'll take a look at it when I'm not close to passing out !

CurlyBlakey

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
South Suffolk, UK
I ride a
2004 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer
Friz said:
Still, I like that they're standing up and showing that motorcyclists need a voice. Without them doing other work, I wouldn't be surprised if all these things were brought in. Everything their stating has been considered as being passed before.

It's a shame they have such a habit for scaremongering!

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
CurlyBlakey said:
Friz said:

It's a shame they have such a habit for scaremongering!

I'm doing my best not to think about it.

I mean, some of this stuff is already being brought in in other places in the EU. France, for instance.
We have these stupid changes to the test coming in soon too... Apparently the last changes to the test halved the number of people taking the motorcycle licence, this is expected to do more than that.

It's scary to think what'll happen if they keep bringing laws and restrictions in for bikers. Shops are already feeling the effect, imagine what'd happen if they did ban modifications to bikes.

It's just sad really. Bunch of men in suits destroying this thing we love. And, at least according to MAGs site, they're doing a lot of it without any evidence to back it up.

I'd rather move to America and ride on straight roads everywhere than sit on a bland, unmodified motorcycle in a floresant jacket and be the only biker I ever saw around. It'd be like a biker apocalypse.

tomasstone69

Wannabie Member
May 14, 2012
I ride a
Kawasaki Ninja 250r
Yea the new restrictions are ridiculous for young riders, something like you have to stay on a 125 until your 18 and then 33bhp until your 21... something like that. Thats why I got my licence this year because thats being changed in February I believe.

LeedsRider93

Wannabie Member
Jan 29, 2012
Leeds, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2001 Yamaha FZS600S, 2009 Daelim Roadwin Fi
tomasstone69 said:
Yea the new restrictions are ridiculous for young riders, something like you have to stay on a 125 until your 18 and then 33bhp until your 21... something like that. Thats why I got my licence this year because thats being changed in February I believe.

The new test is being brought in on the 19th January.

But seriously, it will harm the industry and prevent many younger riders from getting a full licence. I predict L-plates will become a lot more common on British roads. On the plus side, it may encourage some more investment in 125s, lately manufacturers have had a habit of sticking a new fairing on and calling it a new model.

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
LeedsRider93 said:
But seriously, it will harm the industry and prevent many younger riders from getting a full licence. I predict L-plates will become a lot more common on British roads.

Highly likely.

tomasstone69 said:

From 19 January 2013 all countries within the E U will need to comply with the 3rd EU Driving Licence Directive (3DLD), which was passed in 2006. As a result trikes will move from car licence entitlement and in future will be covered by bike riding licences (depending on when you passed your test, see below). The effect will be that the effective minimum age for riding a trike over 15kW increases from 17 to 21 years old. Entitlements already on your licence will not be affected, but any new entitlements you want will have to be gained under the new rules.

*CBT*

The current Compulsory Basic Training system will continue to give riders an ability to ride bikes up to 125cc on 'L'-plates (and on bigger bikes if under instruction from a qualified bike trainer).

*Riding test*

The content of the test is essentially unchanged, although we have been working with the UK government to change the content of the bike test later in 2013 so that more of it can be done on the road.

*Trikes*

3DLD requires a motorcycle entitlement (Category A1 to ride trikes under 15kW power output, full Category A for trikes over 15kW). Currently the entitlement to ride a trike is under category B1 (trikes and quads) or B (cars); licences replaced or renewed after 19 January 2013 will show the entitlement as B1 and A (limited to tricycles).

*Entitlement to ride bikes of different sizes*

Currently, you can gain a full licence to ride any size bike either by passing the test on a 125cc bike, then riding a bike restricted to 33bhp for two years before automatically qualifying to ride bigger bikes OR by taking a Direct Access test (minimum age 21 years). Under 3DLD this will change dramatically; there will be an additional category for medium-size bikes, the minimum age for Direct Access will rise to 24 and if a rider wants to start on a smaller bike and work their way through they will have to take a test, then ride that size of bike for two years. If they want to move up to another category of bike licence they will have to repeat the process on the bigger bike. All of the new licence categories are described below:

MOPED - Licence category AM - maximum design speed between 25-45 km/h (also includes small three wheelers up to 50 cc and below 4 kW and light quadricycles with unladen mass less than 350 kg and up to 45 km/h). The minimum age to ride these vehicles will still be 16 and you'll still need to pass your CBT, theory test and practical test if you want a full moped licence.

SMALL MOTORCYCLE - Licence category A1 (up to 125 cc, power output not more than 11 kW and a power to weight ratio not more than 0.1 kW per kg. Also tricycles with a power output not more than 15 kW). The minimum age limit for category A1 will still be 17 years and you'll still need to pass your CBT, theory test and practical test if you want a full A1 licence so that you can move up to a bigger bike two years later.

MEDIUM MOTORCYCLE - Licence category A2 (up to 35 kW, (47bhp) with or without a sidecar, a power to weight ratio not more than 0.2 kW per kg - NB: the bike must not be restricted down from a vehicle of more than double its power). The minimum age for category A2 is 19 years. There are two ways to get this entitlement: 'Staged Access' if you have two years' experience on an A1 motorcycle by passing another practical test. 'Direct Access' if you do not have two years' experience on an A1 motorcycle, by passing a theory test and a practical test.

LARGE MOTORCYCLE - Licence category A (machines unlimited in size and power, with or without a sidecar, and trikes with a power output of more than 15 kW). There are two ways to get this entitlement too. 'Staged Access' if you have two years' experience on an A2 motorcycle by passing another practical test. 'Direct Access' if you are aged 24 or older and do not have two years' experience on an A2 motorcycle, by passing a theory test and a practical test.

TRIKES - You'll need to follow the same rules if you want to ride a trike that falls within these categories. MAG has asked for confirmation from DSA whether this takes us from a position where you can currently ride a trike from age 17 on a car licence, to a position where you will have to be aged at least 21 and have worked your way through Staged Access (or take Direct Access from age 24). NB: Tests using mopeds with three or four wheels, motorcycle-sidecar outfits, A1 tricycles and A tricycles will only be offered to the physically disabled.

Taken from MAGs site. http://www.mag-uk.org/en/newsdetail/a6987

tomasstone69

Wannabie Member
May 14, 2012
I ride a
Kawasaki Ninja 250r
Just wait, in 10 years there wont be any new bikers because it will be too hard and too expensive to bother. Might aswell get a car licence, much easier. Buy a Bugatti Veyron at 17 but not a motorbike with less than 1/10th the power. I think the current law is not too bad and is sensible, but the new ones are just dumb.

CurlyBlakey

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
South Suffolk, UK
I ride a
2004 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer
I think they already have similar systems in places like Germany, it would be interesting to see the impact it's had over there!

LeedsRider93

Wannabie Member
Jan 29, 2012
Leeds, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2001 Yamaha FZS600S, 2009 Daelim Roadwin Fi
tomasstone69 said:
Just wait, in 10 years there wont be any new bikers because it will be too hard and too expensive to bother. Might aswell get a car licence, much easier. Buy a Bugatti Veyron at 17 but not a motorbike with less than 1/10th the power. I think the current law is not too bad and is sensible, but the new ones are just dumb.

I think there will always be new bikers, but the number of new younger bikers will decrease. The age for DAS is being increased from 21 to 24, so I would expect more people who become bikers will be in their mid to late twenties instead of earlier on. The inability to get a full motorcycle licence as soon as you have passed your test makes the alternative of a car much more attractive.

Carkeh

Wannabie Member
May 16, 2012
Chatham, Kent
I ride a
2012 Vespa LX50
And yet, getting a car when you're 17 is also something that is extremely difficult. You'd be lucky to get any form of insurance less than £2k for your first car now-a-days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts