Looking After Leathers

TSprint900

Wannabie Member
Oct 23, 2014
England
I ride a
Triumph Sprint 900
Can anyone recommend some wax/spray/whatever to help keep my leathers waterproof over the winter?

Sweet & Sour Andy

AndyPandy Motovlogs
Aug 1, 2014
Townsville, Australia
I ride a
2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650abs
not to sure if you guys have it over there but I used to use Dubbin on my leather boots to protect them, worked so well that I used it on my jacket. Takes a lot of time to rub in and wipe down, but really good result and keeps leather supple. another one was saddle soap again not sure if you have it over there.

Reactions: RealRider

RealRider

No longer a member
Nov 5, 2014
Brisbane
not to sure if you guys have it over there but I used to use Dubbin on my leather boots to protect them, worked so well that I used it on my jacket. Takes a lot of time to rub in and wipe down, but really good result and keeps leather supple. another one was saddle soap again not sure if you have it over there.

They even have a product that works great on white leather!

AndyManCam

www.youtube.com/anymancam
Feb 26, 2014
Hamburg
I ride a
Versys 650
Nikwax have a product called 'Nikwax Waterproofing Wax'.

This video explains that it's really meant for boots, but I've used it loads on my jackets and trousers and it's quite frankly amazing. The water just runs off and it lasts for weeks at a time. Last time I bought it, it was about £5 a bottle and that lasted the whole riding season (Feb-Nov for me generally).

Also, the bit about protection is pretty important. If your leather jacket is wet, it's going to be less abrasion resistant than if its dry.

I haven't been able to find it since I've moved to Germany and I'm pretty gutted about it to be honest!!

AndyManCam

Feb 26, 2014
Hamburg
I ride a
Versys 650
It'll work for any leather! Obviously you can't waterproof the holes, but by making the water run off the surrounding leather you'll give yourself a fighting chance!

The best and weirdest thing about it is that you have to wet the leather first. Then the wax, which is water based, penetrates deep into the leather. Then when the water dries off, the waterproofing stays behind!

AndyManCam

Feb 26, 2014
Hamburg
I ride a
Versys 650
Ha! Fair enough! I'm just too keen!

My leathers will be braving the elements for a good few weeks still this year!

AndyManCam

Feb 26, 2014
Hamburg
I ride a
Versys 650
Nah, doesn't make you a wimp! I'd have a rukka jacket hanging right next to the new helmet(s) if I had my way!

AndyManCam

Feb 26, 2014
Hamburg
I ride a
Versys 650
I reckon they're probably good, but almost certainly not THAT good! I don't think I could wear a jacket that costs 25% of what my bike is worth!! (The old one would have been closer to 50%!!)

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts