TheSvBiker

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Kent
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki SV650s
Hey people..

Just a little question really, I was wondering if any of you guys have done long journeys on a 125, in your learner days? For example Riding south east to south west? Would a bike once serviced, cope with a journey like this being a 125cc engine? :)

Thanks

gpzDave

Wannabie Member
Sep 25, 2011
Fife, Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Speed Four & Honda FES125
Remember some folk go around Europe on Honda C90's so you don't need to worry about hurting the engine too much. A 125 is fine to travel on.

Note: As long as it is a good brand of motorcycle.

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
Curlyblakeybiker posted a link to a website for a guy traveling the world on a ybr125 or something on the old forum.

If that bike can do it, anything can.

However I can't speak from experience as ive never owned anything but an offroad 125 :)

carlsant1

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Honda CBR900RR 1996
extreme601 said:
Ask carlsant1 :p

Haha thanks... sorta?

Long distance on a 125 is fine so long as you dont mind taking your time about it, i spend about 9 months on a Honda CG and covered around 11k miles quite frequently doing 200-300 miles trips without any problems, i then moved onto a honda varadero 125 and did a trip down to coventry and back and numerous other trips, and that coped even better (due to the fact that, that was what its built was) ive also done a fair few miles on a yzf-r125, good bike, not quite as comfy as the others but still very capable of it...

Ive had my bike screaming at me all day long sat on dual carriage ways and its been fine, just please dont get a Chinese/Japanese import... build quality is just not as good.

In short, yes the bike can cope fine and im a BIG guy, the only thing i will advise which will probably mean the difference between you finishing the trip and not...

EAR PLUGS

Have fun exploring!

RogueRiderUK

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Bromley, Kent
I ride a
2010 Suzuki GSX650F
Check this vid out..... It might give you a bit of confidence in your bike! :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Vz6IgDFmc[/youtube]

lauriejennifer

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Kawasaki KLX330sm * Keen BadBoy CX50 * Kawasaki ER-6n
Long distance? Don't you live on an island? ;)

I suppose traveling by 125 there is culturally equivalent to traveling on a 250 here across the pond. It is very possible. Take the scenic route. Stop and stretch often. Bring a few spare parts (spark plug, cables, tire tube... if you have tube tires, oil filter and oil for a change). Spend time enjoying the conversations with the people who will want to talk to you along the way. Journal.

Oh! And an extra master link clip, assuming your master link is clip style. Lost a clip once and it almost cost me a trip for a part that costs less than $1.

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
I've been to scotland on my Rs125, I've done just under 1200 miles in a week on a 2T.

a CBR will be fine, if you are planning on doing more than what the manual states you should adjust anything. take the tools to do it.

if you planning on doing 300+ miles one way make sure you take the right tools to adjust your chain.
make sure you have enough oil and maybe buy backup while your out.

make sure all lights are working at check if anything looks like it might need replacing.

Look around India and places like that, some people have 125's and do about 100k on the bike and they only service it when they can if that.

I watched a DVD a couple weeks back for Suzuki stating that most 125's can do 70k if looked after the basic way.

so just adjusting, cleaning and small amount of replacing.

Honestly you'll be fine, you'll be surprised what a little 125 can do.

TheSvBiker

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Kent
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki SV650s
Thanks for all your replys, Yes I guess we do live on an Island in comparison, I think I've just heard people tell me otherwise and taken it as fact, But no doubt this is all their opinions never having actually riden a 125? Anyway, thats set my mind at ease.

Thanks for the video link :)
Blimey Carlsant1, Thats some miles!

I'd like to tour on a bike next summer if I fail to pass MOD2, (theres always a chance) then I might use the cbr125, I'd like to add a power source from Battery to dash to charge phone, or GPS..
I'm guessing that would work on a 125? as the battery is 12V.

Thanks again :mrgreen:

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Honda Hornet - With Beast Of A Micron Exhaust
I did 200 miles on a moped, on a 125 it should be no problem.

gpzDave

Wannabie Member
Sep 25, 2011
Fife, Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Speed Four & Honda FES125
lauriejennifer said:
Oh! And an extra master link clip, assuming your master link is clip style. Lost a clip once and it almost cost me a trip for a part that costs less than $1.

Lol you're going to have to try harder than that :p :D

Ducman69

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Houston, TX
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki VStrom
People traveled from the East coast of the United States to the West with nothing more than cheap overloaded wooden carriage pulled by oxen on unimproved roads.

So certainly a 125cc bike can do it, but just don't complain to us if you die from dysentery along the route, heh. :p

Having ridden every other weekend 600 miles round trip from college to my HS girlfriend back home for a couple years, its just a lot more comfortable on a bigger bike (in my case a 1200cc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts