Lesson in scheduling 4k videos on YouTube

R-Rated

Have Fun!
Aug 4, 2016
Clarksville to Nashville, TN
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Last night I get a notification that @HippoDrone was perplexed why my 26 minute video was only playing at 360 res.

So first thing was the video was not supposed to go live yet but that was not why it was only playing low res.

I found that even when I upload a 4k video, YouTube has a lag in processing the data. It first processes at low res then higher one level at a time.

Here is the kicker, I reuploaded the video starting at 10 pm. It showed 360. At 5 am it showed at 1080. Now at 8:30 am it is showing at full 4K.

So lesson is, if you want your audience to have the full resolution, it may be best to schedule for it to go live a day or so after you upload.

And @HippoDrone thank you for catching that. Tune in Thursday for the full res. :cool:

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
I've had real issues with YouTube reaching full res in the past. I always schedule uploads now, although the changes to the uploader recently had a vid go live before I wanted it to as well. Glad you got it sorted mate.

Meifesto

L Plate Member
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Still use the old uploader because of problems like that, that i have heard of.

YT always was a bit slow, but normally you could upload a video 3 hours before it went live to get it to go live at 1080.
Nowadays, no idea xD

R-Rated

Have Fun!
Aug 4, 2016
Clarksville to Nashville, TN
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Still use the old uploader because of problems like that, that i have heard of.

YT always was a bit slow, but normally you could upload a video 3 hours before it went live to get it to go live at 1080.
Nowadays, no idea xD
I did use the Classic mode. I am not a fan of the new one since it forces step by step.

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I've always had a suspicion of this, cause of my tech background. I suppose it takes time to work through all the uploads and convert them all into better formats. I know YT format videos for mobile first, then desktop.

I wonder if more popular youtubers get their videos converted first in the queue?

Reactions: R-Rated

Meifesto

L Plate Member
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I've always had a suspicion of this, cause of my tech background. I suppose it takes time to work through all the uploads and convert them all into better formats. I know YT format videos for mobile first, then desktop.

I wonder if more popular youtubers get their videos converted first in the queue?
For as far as i'm aware bigger channels also always have these problems.
So they tend to upload and schedule, or give a warning on the sm that people need to wait an hour or so ;)