I f&"cked up

CeigeOnWheels

Wannabie Member
May 7, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I ride a
CBR125R
Not sure if this is the right place. I had my first motorcycle accident yesterday. I'm sitting in hospital what for surgery on my knee. Any tips for getting back on the horse per-say.

So what happened. I locked my front wheel on a wet road and hit the back of a car at 50-60kph. I hit broadside on my left. Bike lost 90% of it fairings.
I got away with a massive gouge in my knee. That while take at least a fortnight in a splint.
What would be your next move?

janx101

Thinking is optional !
Sep 4, 2013
Illawarra Region, NSW, Australia
I ride a
Suzuki GS500F
mmmm yep! ... heal up! ... and when you can move about enough .. have a look at the bike and decide (if its not insured) whether its worth it to repair? ... fairing and paint are usually hideous expensive to redo!! .. unless you can do a pro job yourself! ... if its insured and not written off .. then pay your excess happily! because it will likely be less than paying for fairings/paint/levers?/pegs?/engine cases? etc ....

getting back on the horse... hmm ... not knowing your overall riding experience level.... when you are fixed and the bike is fixed ... choose a nice quiet DRY road or parking lot... and just putt putt around there a bit .. till any jitters you may feel are gone! ..

i know only a couple riders (now ex) who had a bingle and refused to go back to riding! ... i dont have a problem with that ... i kinda think from seeing them ride that maybe.. just maybe .. they werent meant to be riding in the first place!! ... it was fairly :eek: watching them .. pity more car drivers dont quit also! ;)

but just take it easy when you get back on... there is no one and nothing to 'prove anything to' by jumping on and doing your best MotoGP moves straight away up the street!! .. :)

CeigeOnWheels

Wannabie Member
May 7, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I ride a
CBR125R
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be discharged within the next to days and go home to discover the damage. I'll be in a splint for two weeks so I'll have plenty of time to decide how to go about fixing it. I had 3rd party insurance. I'll probably have to street fighter it or part it out if it's a write off.

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be discharged within the next to days and go home to discover the damage. I'll be in a splint for two weeks so I'll have plenty of time to decide how to go about fixing it. I had 3rd party insurance. I'll probably have to street fighter it or part it out if it's a write off.

Got it on film?

Reactions: janx101

CeigeOnWheels

Wannabie Member
May 7, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I ride a
CBR125R
Ba didn't have the camera running. The card was full from a vlog I filmed the day before and the ride into uni. Hadn't had a chance to clear the sd card. :(
the cops where disappointed I didn't have it running. It would have made there job 10X easier.

Arctic Pride

L Plate Member
Mar 3, 2014
I ride a
lot of different things
that sucks, but at least you want to ride again!

take your recovery training seriously and you'll be back at it in no time

Trinith

Wannabie Member
Jul 22, 2011
I ride a
2003 Honda VFR
Take it slowly when you get ready to go back out. You're not going to move as well for a while once you're healed, and it doesn't take long for the body and brain to adjust to not being on a bike. If it doesn't feel right, don't go. If your nerves weren't rattled a little by the incident then you're probably also a bit over confident.

O8ride

O8
May 16, 2013
I ride a
Inbetween bikes
You'll be absolutely fine if you always consider the two second rule in the dry, four secods in the wet, and 10 seconds in icy conditions

Sounds like you were a tad close to the car in front. I'm only taking this opinion from what you wrote, so it could be completely incorrect, and if so, please don't take it personally. I see tailgating too many times from car drivers, but I am shocked how many times I see tailgating of cars by bikers

CeigeOnWheels

Wannabie Member
May 7, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I ride a
CBR125R
You'll be absolutely fine if you always consider the two second rule in the dry, four secods in the wet, and 10 seconds in icy conditions

Sounds like you were a tad close to the car in front. I'm only taking this opinion from what you wrote, so it could be completely incorrect, and if so, please don't take it personally. I see tailgating too many times from car drivers, but I am shocked how many times I see tailgating of cars by bikers

I might have been but. I was at least 30-50m back before it started(it was a 60k zone). It was being too focused on the car that could have pulled out. And I panicked hit the breaks too hard when I looked up road that where oily and wet. I still slid for at least a second and a half before I hit (car had nearly stopped). Most of that time I was wishing My bike had abs.

CeigeOnWheels

Wannabie Member
May 7, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I ride a
CBR125R
Take it slowly when you get ready to go back out. You're not going to move as well for a while once you're healed, and it doesn't take long for the body and brain to adjust to not being on a bike. If it doesn't feel right, don't go. If your nerves weren't rattled a little by the incident then you're probably also a bit over confident.

I would tend to agree with you. But I has more then my fare share of falls racing a pushie on the road. You learn how to deal with the rattled nerves very quickly off the bike. Then you can focus on figuring out mistake and how to avoid making it again. In any crash you made a mistake it doesn't matter if what others think.
You come off you did some thing wrong and if you want to keep riding you should to learn from it. With few exceptions.

Reactions: RoninK6

Trinith

Wannabie Member
Jul 22, 2011
I ride a
2003 Honda VFR
You come off you did some thing wrong and if you want to keep riding you should to learn from it. With few exceptions.
Absolutely. But your brain is working a lot harder on a motorcycle in the streets than on a bicycle. Rattled nerves will have a bigger impact on your decision making skills.

The crux of my point though is the gut instinct. The juju so to speak. Listen to it, whatever it says, it's usually right. When I was taken out by a deer I was riding as normal again within days, and most of the wait was due to the process of buying a new bike. The next wreck kept me off for a lot longer, and slowed me down a fair bit. Both of those things I can say certainly saved my ass in the time since.

CeigeOnWheels

Wannabie Member
May 7, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I ride a
CBR125R
60k in peloton is a lot harder then 60k on a motorbike in my experience. Just a lot more reaction time for when shit hits the fan. Plus physical exhaustion isn't in the equation.

But agree your gut can save your ass. It's amazing what your subconscious mind can pick up.
Anyway I'll be heading home in a few hours. The damage to my knee ended up being mostly superficial with some minor ligament damage. That mean it will be around two weeks till I can ride again.

I'll put up some pics of the bike and my knee when I get home.

CoolCrazyChaos

Wannabie Member
May 16, 2014
I ride a
2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R
Dude im really sorry to hear. Contact the insurance company and go with what they tell you. Get well soon.

DMotovlogs

Sexiest Motovlogger Alive
Apr 24, 2014
Toronto
I ride a
2003 Vstar 650
Get better mate! Crashes are never fun. Heal up, and don't get on a bike until you are all fully recovered! Best wishes brother.

CeigeOnWheels

Wannabie Member
May 7, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I ride a
CBR125R
finally home and had a chance to have a shower. man its nice to finally get the last of the blood of. the bike it self seemed to come out pretty well. other then I can get the clip-ons to hit the tank on the right hand side, the steering lock limiter is broken, all of the front fairing, cowl mount and mirrors are gone. bike still runs with no damage to the radiator or the engine casing or the frame. only the mount for the dash and indicators is stuffed. all up it would cost over a 1000 just to get the fairings. I'll either street fighter it or part it out, not sure yet. Ill decide after I have finished uni for the semester.

here is the link to the photos

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts