How to create YouTube thumbnails

LandyVlad

Wannabie Member
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
Thumbnails are very important when it comes to attracting views of your YT videos.

I'm an advocate / fan of Justin at Primal Video. Their content to help YouTubers is really helpful.
(I'm not associated with them in any way).

Anyway Justin has just released a new video on how to create thumbnails - which might be helpful for quite a few people here.

Reactions: humes

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I use a free program called Inkscape to make my thumbs, it's a program I'm used to using for graphics in game development. I also use GIMP to pretty up pics for the thumbs now and then too.

Meifesto

L Plate Member
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I use an old photoshop elements, which works great.
For continuity, i have a basic template that i can work around with, with the main part being my logo in there.

I for some reason don't like the thumbnails described i above video, with people's face on them in a weird pose/flex.
I tend to skip those xD
Even the channels that i follow, like SmarterEveryDay or TheSlowmoGuys don't actively do that ;)

But i do think that continuity is important in your thumbnails, without making them look all the same (old mistake i did).
Upgrading old thumbnails to newer standards can also help, haven't done it because it takes so much time xD

Reactions: LandyVlad

Meifesto

L Plate Member
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Meifesto I just had a look on your channel and the thumbnails (to me) don't seem to have any sort of base template ???
With edge, logo, filter. That is also the base template is ;)

The reviews and first ride have that in common as well, added with the text of what it is ;)

My rule for thumbnails is the image has to be something from my video. If not (for me) it comes across as misleading or clickbate.

- Wolf
Same here, 95% time it is somewhere out of the footage or a photo taken during said ride.

Top Posters Past 30 days

Winners Video

Latest posts