How does everyone deal with demotivation?

Madlad

Absolute Madlad
Apr 24, 2020
Canada
I ride a
2014 Yamaha R6
Title drop.
I've been inactive for about 2 months and I just started editing a new video yesterday. I have had other commitments like school and whatnot. I still had the time to record, but lost the motivation to edit right away for the last little bit. The main thing was I had a bunch of technical issues on top of not being able to think of anything interesting to talk about so I basically ragequit lol. Just wondering what you guys do if 'ya ever get stuck in a rut (motovlogging or otherwise).

Cheers m8's

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Am in a bit of a slump myself at the moment, I have no issue editing, just nothing to say when riding, Covid has taken my momentum from me. "Fortunately" I am still struggling with my wrist injury so can't ride anyway. Gonna try getting out on the bike next week to see how I get on.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
@Madlad and @HippoDrone

Demotivation in this artform can be more detrimental than being a writer or painter. YouTube algorithm is an insatiable beast and demands sacrifices of our precious time.

So how can any of us overcome it? After all, there are only so many times that a motovlogger can stir up "is Brand X motorcycle dead" or "is motovlogging dead" or even "is Sir Paul dead" :rolleyes:

In my real world job, I have been demotivated for about 8 years now. Why even today I had a review with my supervisor and was told I tend to talk too much when solving problems. No F-ing kidding, we have to show our rationale in every action we take at my job, duh.

So, when I feel the cold shadowy fingers of writer's block creep into my motovlogging, I find the universe hands me a solution. For example, I was forced by technology to change editing software and found the new stuff has this ability to take any amout of footage and process it to any length of soundtrack to come up with some really visually appealing short videos. I have hours of B roll footage so I found a couple of new tracks on YouTube and put it to the test in a couple of upcoming videos.

@Madlad your question has inspired me to get out and ride after work today so I can process the demotivation of the BS of work and maybe even address what every one of experiences. Not sure it will make it publishing.

Another idea I tried a while back was live streaming a ride. The tech has improved a little since then so I might give a go again. I may even play a game like "counting covidiots" while riding.

Stay safe and be well fellow motovloggers. Don't let a mind dry of ideas stop you because YouTube is endless.

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
From someone who's recently experienced technical issues and come home after the past 6 times ive gone to film with no usable footage, I feel your pain and understand the struggle to create when you have nothing.

I think taking a break is good. I've heard of some creators working ridiculous hours for years without a day off. This should be fun, if you have to take a hilarious to recharge, then everyone deserves and needs a holiday.

Any dedicated fans should appreciate that if you take a break, you should come back recharged and therefore make better videos. Anyone you loose from 2 weeks off isnt worth having as a follower. Make the videos for yourself and when you are inspired.

Hope the tech gremlins are all sorted now?

Reactions: Madlad

L. Bilious

Huge member
Aug 2, 2019
North Cheshire/South Manchester
I ride a
CBR1100, GSXR750, XR250
Sometimes life and adulting take over.
Luckily I'm not big enough to worry about constantly putting out content.
You may have to regain a few subscribers after some down time, but if they're that fickle- would you have kept them anyway?

Sometimes all it takes is one good ride to give you the impetus to show it off to the world.

Madlad

Absolute Madlad
Apr 24, 2020
Canada
I ride a
2014 Yamaha R6
@Madlad and @HippoDrone

Demotivation in this artform can be more detrimental than being a writer or painter. YouTube algorithm is an insatiable beast and demands sacrifices of our precious time.

So how can any of us overcome it? After all, there are only so many times that a motovlogger can stir up "is Brand X motorcycle dead" or "is motovlogging dead" or even "is Sir Paul dead" :rolleyes:

In my real world job, I have been demotivated for about 8 years now. Why even today I had a review with my supervisor and was told I tend to talk too much when solving problems. No F-ing kidding, we have to show our rationale in every action we take at my job, duh.

So, when I feel the cold shadowy fingers of writer's block creep into my motovlogging, I find the universe hands me a solution. For example, I was forced by technology to change editing software and found the new stuff has this ability to take any amout of footage and process it to any length of soundtrack to come up with some really visually appealing short videos. I have hours of B roll footage so I found a couple of new tracks on YouTube and put it to the test in a couple of upcoming videos.

@Madlad your question has inspired me to get out and ride after work today so I can process the demotivation of the BS of work and maybe even address what every one of experiences. Not sure it will make it publishing.

Another idea I tried a while back was live streaming a ride. The tech has improved a little since then so I might give a go again. I may even play a game like "counting covidiots" while riding.

Stay safe and be well fellow motovloggers. Don't let a mind dry of ideas stop you because YouTube is endless.

Aha! Always happy to help, that'l make for an interesting video; talking about work outside of vlogging and how it may be similar.
By the way, what's this new software you mentioned? Sounds like it could be super useful :cool:

Reactions: R-Rated

Madlad

Absolute Madlad
Apr 24, 2020
Canada
I ride a
2014 Yamaha R6
Am in a bit of a slump myself at the moment, I have no issue editing, just nothing to say when riding, Covid has taken my momentum from me. "Fortunately" I am still struggling with my wrist injury so can't ride anyway. Gonna try getting out on the bike next week to see how I get on.

I suppose that is "fortunate" ;) At least you'll have some time to brainstorm. Hope your ride goes well!

• Haha
Reactions: HippoDrone

Madlad

Absolute Madlad
Apr 24, 2020
Canada
I ride a
2014 Yamaha R6
From someone who's recently experienced technical issues and come home after the past 6 times ive gone to film with no usable footage, I feel your pain and understand the struggle to create when you have nothing.

I think taking a break is good. I've heard of some creators working ridiculous hours for years without a day off. This should be fun, if you have to take a hilarious to recharge, then everyone deserves and needs a holiday.

Any dedicated fans should appreciate that if you take a break, you should come back recharged and therefore make better videos. Anyone you loose from 2 weeks off isnt worth having as a follower. Make the videos for yourself and when you are inspired.

Hope the tech gremlins are all sorted now?
Sometimes life and adulting take over.
Luckily I'm not big enough to worry about constantly putting out content.
You may have to regain a few subscribers after some down time, but if they're that fickle- would you have kept them anyway?

Sometimes all it takes is one good ride to give you the impetus to show it off to the world.

All the tech issues seem to be solved! And that's true; not super concerned about the subscribers because I'm still small and its mostly my friends subscribed anyways :p

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I've taught on college and university programs for nearly thirty years, so I've seen my share of demotivation and burnout, and experienced some myself. Overworked, being overwhelmed and overambitious can lead to burnout. I try to warn my students on taking on too much. But it can also be a warming from your subconscious that you're just running out of creative momentum. And that's fine. It could just mean you need to get away from what you're doing, and clear your creative plate.

Do something new and different (if possibly in this pandemic). Read something new, watch a different kind of movie, go for a walk in a place you've never been before, or get to projects you've been putting off. Sometimes when you're away from something you've been really involved with you can comeback more objective, and willing to approach and do things in a new or different way.

I was gone from motovlogging for about six months both from burnout, and being overloaded with my own job and classes. Coming back has allowed me to see what was and wasn't working with the videos I made before, and hopefully I can distill any new one to be more efficient and stronger.

- Wolf

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Aha! Always happy to help, that'l make for an interesting video; talking about work outside of vlogging and how it may be similar.
By the way, what's this new software you mentioned? Sounds like it could be super useful :cool:

In Cyberlink PowerDirector 18 there is the Magic Movie Wizard. The music option is under the Advanced Settings.

Last edited:

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I haven't faced demotivation yet with motovlogging. I've only been doing it for a few months so it's still new to me. In fact I'm the opposite of demotivation, I have an excel spreadsheet full of planned videos and ideas and I literally have my next five motovlogs uploaded to Youtube scheduled for release over the next few weeks. Plus I have about a half dozen motovlogs worth of footage sitting on my PC ready to be edited up.

In other things in life though when I get demotivated to do something I have to, I sit back, re-evaluate it, and figure out some new way to approach it which gets me excited again. I've often found that feeling demotivated is usually a response to feeling bored with something or falling into a rut, so I either simply stop doing it or I change how I do it.

I'm finding the creative aspect of motovlogging very invigorating so far though. :cool:

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
I've been like that both with editing and recording. I've binned quite a few videos. Still have a video from October that needs editing

• Wow

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
I think first and foremost is that you enjoy what you are doing. I don't think you should force anything if you're are not feeling it. I like to make a list of what I would like to do and map out what my future videos will be about. I'll have some filler videos where I just record a ride and let everything naturally happen. I'll be looking out for your future videos!

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
Rage quit. I understand that all too well.

I tend to switch my focus to another creative endeavor when I feel unmotivated by the project I am working on be it vlog or other. I'm a graphic designer and writer so I always have a project to work on but the past few months have put me in a slump as well. I recently started my writing group back up with the local social distancing mandates and found myself writing a brand new short story after organizing the group meeting. So, maybe try starting with the planning stage of something even if it is smal, that might get you excited and motivated to see a vlog thru to the end.

• Love

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Its just a hobby they come and go. I have no issue with be unmotivated I actually enjoy just going for a ride and not having to worry about making content.

WildOn2s

WildOn2s Vlog
Feb 18, 2020
San Antonio,Tx
I ride a
Indian Chief dark horse
Title drop.
I've been inactive for about 2 months and I just started editing a new video yesterday. I have had other commitments like school and whatnot. I still had the time to record, but lost the motivation to edit right away for the last little bit. The main thing was I had a bunch of technical issues on top of not being able to think of anything interesting to talk about so I basically ragequit lol. Just wondering what you guys do if 'ya ever get stuck in a rut (motovlogging or otherwise).

Cheers m8's
Not in a rut yet. But I’m fairly new. I try not to force my topics. But allow them to pop up. Editing I just try to make it easy as possible so I don’t have to feel stressed editing. My life is very very busy as usual so will see.

MickFist

Wannabie Member
Aug 20, 2018
Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer 600 '98 - The 'Mistress'
As an 'expert' in de-motivation! I'd have to say that I am a bit like yourself. I have my other commitments, and I feel it can be hard to justify spending time riding around and spending hours (for me) editing and publishing just to find that the audio is rumbley, or the video is looking at my dash. My PC took hours to render anything, and often I wouldn't know until it became a video (shouldn't really be the case I guess).

There was a time last year where I felt my audio was just getting worse and worse (can't say it was ever good), and I would record video after video, edit and find its 'just not good enough', and put it in the bin. Thus began a never ending search for the quietest helmet (it doesn't exists!). Now, I think I was being over critical (+ a bit of OCD), and led to me basically not pushing anything out for 9 Months. I just couldn't help but feel I shouldn't publish something that is sub par. I also was struggling with some college work, and again couldn't justify spending the time vlogging, when I needed to spend the time studying (I ended up passing btw!)

My other issue was that I only really used my bike to commute. Another vlogger said to me, learn to ride for fun again. I am still working on that. I didn't just ride for the fun of it, and so when you are stuck not commuting, all of a sudden your opportunities fall through the floor, like right now. I had planned a series of outings, but when covid hit, I had nothing I could do from home, and there in lies the current demotivation - I've kinda realised, there's not much i can do right now, so took the time to enjoy some other things instead.

I guess my point is, none of this actually matters. If you have IRL commitments, and they are more important than vlogging, then that is the priority right now. Sure there are people still pushing out videos. That's great, enjoy them! But if you can't make a video, thats also fine. You will find your feet again and your motivation will come again.

Equally though, you should find the time to do something that you do enjoy, so would say, try and carve some time out specifically for this past time, even if its just 1 day a week to get yourself going again. It is difficult to find things that everyone finds interesting, but if it interests you, you're more likely to be enthusiastic about it. Don't be overly critical of your work either, edit it and post it.You have spent your time doing something you enjoy, don't bin it (this is my advice to myself now).

Maybe this whole thing can be a topic for a video for you? Plenty of people suffer from creative blocks...

(sorry for waffling)

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
As an 'expert' in de-motivation! I'd have to say that I am a bit like yourself. I have my other commitments, and I feel it can be hard to justify spending time riding around and spending hours (for me) editing and publishing just to find that the audio is rumbley, or the video is looking at my dash. My PC took hours to render anything, and often I wouldn't know until it became a video (shouldn't really be the case I guess).

There was a time last year where I felt my audio was just getting worse and worse (can't say it was ever good), and I would record video after video, edit and find its 'just not good enough', and put it in the bin. Thus began a never ending search for the quietest helmet (it doesn't exists!). Now, I think I was being over critical (+ a bit of OCD), and led to me basically not pushing anything out for 9 Months. I just couldn't help but feel I shouldn't publish something that is sub par. I also was struggling with some college work, and again couldn't justify spending the time vlogging, when I needed to spend the time studying (I ended up passing btw!)

My other issue was that I only really used my bike to commute. Another vlogger said to me, learn to ride for fun again. I am still working on that. I didn't just ride for the fun of it, and so when you are stuck not commuting, all of a sudden your opportunities fall through the floor, like right now. I had planned a series of outings, but when covid hit, I had nothing I could do from home, and there in lies the current demotivation - I've kinda realised, there's not much i can do right now, so took the time to enjoy some other things instead.

I guess my point is, none of this actually matters. If you have IRL commitments, and they are more important than vlogging, then that is the priority right now. Sure there are people still pushing out videos. That's great, enjoy them! But if you can't make a video, thats also fine. You will find your feet again and your motivation will come again.

Equally though, you should find the time to do something that you do enjoy, so would say, try and carve some time out specifically for this past time, even if its just 1 day a week to get yourself going again. It is difficult to find things that everyone finds interesting, but if it interests you, you're more likely to be enthusiastic about it. Don't be overly critical of your work either, edit it and post it.You have spent your time doing something you enjoy, don't bin it (this is my advice to myself now).

Maybe this whole thing can be a topic for a video for you? Plenty of people suffer from creative blocks...

(sorry for waffling)
Fantastic post Mick, so thank you for adding it! :)

Reactions: MickFist

MickFist

Wannabie Member
Aug 20, 2018
Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer 600 '98 - The 'Mistress'
Fantastic post Mick, so thank you for adding it! :)
Thanks man - I felt I've been having the exact same experience as @Madlad - FYI checked out a few vids. First one was great. The Avengers one was hilarious, just getting into the Storytime one, definitely something of interest. Hope it doesn't end too badly

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
My other issue was that I only really used my bike to commute. Another vlogger said to me, learn to ride for fun again. I am still working on that. I didn't just ride for the fun of it, and so when you are stuck not commuting, all of a sudden your opportunities fall through the floor, like right now.

I've had a few viewers ask me whether I only ride to make motovlogs or if I still ride without the cameras for fun. Honestly I do more riding without the cameras than I still do with! I do commute to work almost every day on the bike, I only drive the Crosstrek on bad weather days, but I also still do a TON of riding just for the fun of it. I've also been planning motovlogs to film on rides I know I'll enjoy, and even on a lot of rides to roads I've never been on before.

When I started motovlogging having fun with it was more important to me than being "successful" at it. It still is for me, hobbies should be enjoyable. Sure it would be nice to make some money from YouTube but I doubt I'll ever get to that level honestly. I'd have to pander to the algorithm and chase the keyword topics much harder to do so, and that's just not what I'm interested in doing really.

Not yet anyway. ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tojjer29 General Discussion 6