Help Me Get The Most Out Of My Hero 5 And Hero 5 Session

CodyB

Wannabie Member
Jun 11, 2017
I ride a
motorcycle
Hey guys, So i have two very capable GoPros are looking for some mounting ideas, I like the side helmet mounts but for better POV im thinking about putting my Hero 5 on my chin and the hero session maybe facing my self while being mounted on the handle bars.

any input is good input so let me have er!

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Thedc92 and R-Rated

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Sounds a good plan. You could also have the secondary camera facing forward as a different pov

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
One factor is the bike. How many possible mount points do you have?

You can mix it up with forward camera on the bike facing forward. Forward camera facing rear. Rear camera facing forward. Rear camera facing rear. Chin bar. Side of helmet (either direction). Chest harness. Tank mount.

I sometimes make list of possible front mounts and use a random number generator to pick. Same for rear mounts.

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
If it was I would definitely hook the Hero 5 with an external mic to your helmet. As for where to mount it can depend on your bike. If you have a sports bike/sport style bike and you are slung over the tank then a chin mount may end up showing more tank than the everything else infront of you so it would be better to side mount. If you were to side mount it you can angle the camera. Whereas if you are on more upright bike like an adv bike, crusier than a chin mount would work.

But being that your picture is you on an supermoto you could do either. Personally when I changed helmet I didn't want to use GoPro mount system to side mount it. If you do mount it on the side of your helmet and want a good angle angle the mount at 45 degress. This will give the horizontal view that most of the vloggers have.

As for the Hero Session as @R-Rated says have a look at the mount points on the bike. Front brake reservoir or on the bars. If you want do rear than you can do a pad on the back fairing or somewhere on the frame.

AmpdMoto

Check Me Out on Youtube
Aug 28, 2015
I ride a
Harley Davidson VRod
I run a similar setup if you want to check out my videos for reference. I have my Hero 5 Black chin mounted on the helmet with the ball joint mount so I get a perfect angle. I then have a Hero 4 Black mounted on the bars using a Ram Mount so I can turn and angle the camera any direction I want but I typically use it as a selfie cam.

Tip: Record at 2.7k 30fps Superview with the Hero 5 cams and you'll get a great quality video and be able to take very detailed and sharp screen grabs out of the footage for pictures if you want. You get way more detail this way over the traditional 1080p60fps (which is what I ran previously).

Reactions: R-Rated

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
You should try several mounting points and see what works, some will be rubbish, some ace, so try them on a test run before committing them to an actual motovlog as it could make or break that video! :)

RuckinScot

Scooter vlogger
Mar 28, 2018
Okinawa, Japan
I ride a
Honda Ruckus
I have multiple cameras. Obviously your primary camera goes on the helmet. Where on the helmet is up to you. I've always liked the chin mounted. I used on the side before and I didn't really like it. You're going to catch more than one side of than the other. Also, it's more obvious than you think, but I had mine on the left. So when I looked right to show something it wasn't getting as much as I had thought (since the GoPro is an action camera and better for upclose.) Again that's up to you. The second I move around a lot. On the bars or tank pointing at you always makes for some nice shots. I've mounted mine down low and caught my front wheel and the road. It makes it good when you need to cut and come back etc. It gets handy in editing. If something is getting boring you can cut to a different shot and cut back etc. I've put my session on friends bikes, down low up front, facing me, on the rear, and even on my wrist strap.

Javiyellow

Motovloggers Unite!!!
Mar 26, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Honda VFR800
I have my Hero 5 mounted on my chin with the mic adapter held right next to it with a command strip. I have the view set to wide because superview doesnt let me zoom in enough if I need to explain what I'm talking about to my audience

Reactions: RuckinScot
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R-Rated Camera Setups 4

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts