CDA441

Red Viffer VTEC!
Apr 15, 2016
Belgium
cda441.wordpress.com
I ride a
'04 Honda VFR800 VTEC
As the title says:
Have you ever tapped a mirror with your handlebars or mirrors while lanesplitting? (not applicable to some US states where lanesplitting is illegal).
I have tapped a mirror once, because I didn't have enough control over my bike (too slow, not stable).
It was the first time lane splitting for me.
After that I still lane split, but do it much faster without tapping any mirrors.
My lanesplitting speed is somewhere between 20-35km/h between cars, inner city and 50-70km/h when overtaking on 1 lane.
When I rewatch my footage, I can see that there's almost no room for error, I have about 3 or 4 cm between my handlebars/mirrors, sometimes wayy less than that, but most of the time I ride further away from the cars.

SevenCube

KTM RC390 + ATGATT
Dec 28, 2015
I ride a
2015 KTM RC 390, 2011 Yamaha FZ-S
I did once. In India lanesplitting is second nature. Or rather, what's a lane? :p

Lanesplitting is just getting comfortable with the bike. Once you've ridding enough, you have more control over the bike that you'd give yourself credit. Or so I've noticed. It's fun to set a point on the road and see if you can hit it precisely. I never miss. :D

Reactions: DDR

CDA441

Red Viffer VTEC!
Apr 15, 2016
Belgium
cda441.wordpress.com
I ride a
'04 Honda VFR800 VTEC
Well yes, in India it's normal to lanesplit, you can't go anywhere when you don't lanesplit :p
The first time was when I was still riding with my provisional license, and I couldn't hold my balance very well at the time.
I get frustrated when I get stuck behind a slower bike, or a bike that doesn't fit through the gap :x

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
KTM 690 Supermoto/ Triumph Speed Triple 1050
I have done, I put it back and the guy didn't say anything bad against it just said thanks for putting it back and gave me a thumbs up lol

SevenCube

KTM RC390 + ATGATT
Dec 28, 2015
I ride a
I have done, I put it back and the guy didn't say anything bad against it just said thanks for putting it back and gave me a thumbs up lol

Whoa. Those guys are rare.

Marbro_za

Dan's princess
Mar 13, 2014
I ride a
Yamaha fz6
Handlebars once, Hit my clutch lever against a mirror.

Mirrors, i have hit against a car mirror too

I tend to do about 20-30kph faster than the people im travelling around

thunderous71

Daddy
Aug 4, 2011
Surrey
www.thunderous71.com
I ride a
Mt-09
Yup a few times, London is hell. Taken a mirror once too... or did I ;) Everyone does that tiny clip once in a while. Did it this morning... but have to say my mirrors are so mild they will flip back before a cars.

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
Whoa. Those guys are rare.

I think it was more to the fact he knew I could of got away, but yeah was expecting rage but ended up with a thumbs up!

Strangely enough I've had my mirror smashed off on my bike when I was sat a junction and they drove off in a car.

SevenCube

KTM RC390 + ATGATT
Dec 28, 2015
I ride a
I think it was more to the fact he knew I could of got away, but yeah was expecting rage but ended up with a thumbs up!

Strangely enough I've had my mirror smashed off on my bike when I was sat a junction and they drove off in a car.

Yeah, those are a*******.

Leon Loco

Roar at things.
Mar 30, 2016
NY/NJ/FL/TX/etc
leonloco.com
I ride a
Many loud things.
Nope, but I generally only lane split in heavy traffic while on sport bikes, so the mirrors are pretty compact. One of the great things (perhaps the only great thing) about commuting on my Duc 916 for many years was the tiny and largely irrelevant mirrors and alltogether very thin bike-- made splitting very easy.

Arctic Pride

L Plate Member
Mar 3, 2014
I ride a
lot of different things
Every once in a while I'll hear the mirror get tapped. It's mostly when splitting a red light to the front and people try to get cute by not leaving enough room

Clint Love

It doesn't say CUNT, dammit!
Jun 17, 2015
Dallas, Texas
www.therealclintlove.com
I ride a
2007 Ducati 1098s
I've been known to "accidentally" smack someone's mirror when they crowd me or try to cut me off. Once I was splitting down the highway when traffic was stopped and a guy saw me coming and tried to pull his pickup truck over the line and block me so I couldn't get through. The car in the other lane had just pulled forward, so I just wiggled around him and popped his mirror as I rode by. He either got pissed or freaked out and his vehicle lurched forward into the car in front of him. I gave him the "You're Number One" sign as I rode off.

CDA441

Red Viffer VTEC!
Apr 15, 2016
Belgium
cda441.wordpress.com
I ride a
'04 Honda VFR800 VTEC
I was lanesplitting the other day in heavy traffic, and there were cops patrolling in their van.
Nice thing is that they flip their mirror to let me go through :)
After that, I accidentaly ran a red light because I was so concentrated on not hitting any mirrors :rolleyes:
I hope I don't get fined :confused:
It was safe though, because traffic was also stuck in the middle of a small intersection.

MiGlyRides

Geordie-Aussie
Jan 5, 2016
Gold Coast, Queensland
I ride a
Honda CBR 500 RA & Honda MSX 125 (GROM)
Yeah one of my first times filtering I thought he'd flipped his mirror in for me and give him the thumbs up, wasn't until I was around the corner and my mirror was off that I realised I hit his mirror with mine :D

RangerRide

RangerRides
Apr 25, 2016
tucson
I ride a
07 trx250ex
As the title says:
Have you ever tapped a mirror with your handlebars or mirrors while lanesplitting? (not applicable to some US states where lanesplitting is illegal).
I have tapped a mirror once, because I didn't have enough control over my bike (too slow, not stable).
It was the first time lane splitting for me.
After that I still lane split, but do it much faster without tapping any mirrors.
My lanesplitting speed is somewhere between 20-35km/h between cars, inner city and 50-70km/h when overtaking on 1 lane.
When I rewatch my footage, I can see that there's almost no room for error, I have about 3 or 4 cm between my handlebars/mirrors, sometimes wayy less than that, but most of the time I ride further away from the cars.
in my city tap a mirror atleast once ever so often and im on a quad...... i cant lane split if i wanted to.....

DDR

Wannabie Member
May 17, 2016
I ride a
Honda CB125F
More than tapped, I dragged my mirror and my saddle bag down the side of a long bus. Eventhough there was no scratches anything bad, it bruised my confidence. :'( But I never stopped lanesplitting, just that I only do it when absolutely necessary (eg. jams & emergencies).

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
More than tapped, I dragged my mirror and my saddle bag down the side of a long bus. Eventhough there was no scratches anything bad, it bruised my confidence. :'( But I never stopped lanesplitting, just that I only do it when absolutely necessary (eg. jams & emergencies).

Dang, but don't let it knock your confidence. If you keep at it, you'll soon learn how much space you need to fit.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts