Gopro Vs Drift....let's Hear It.

ScootWook

Wannabie Member
Aug 31, 2016
I ride a
2013 Kawasaki ZX6R
Alright everyone, the eternal question....what do you think is better and why!? The Drift, or the GoPro? I think both have their pros and cons, but ultimately I am one of the few that prefers the Drift for some reason.

+I think the Drift has a better form factor, being mounted on the side of the helmet
+It has better night shooting
+Comes with a remote
+Can be had for $200 NIB if you look hard enough
+Quality is quite good when compared to GoPro
+ Ruggedized!

- Picture is slightly less good looking than GoPro
- From what I can tell, does not have the best assortment of accessories
- Perspective is kind of wonky when used on the side of the helmet
- No way to chin mount that I can think of
- Video cuts off after 30 minutes continuous and starts a new track

I am asking these questions because I am deciding whether I go to the Hero 5 or get the new Ghost 4K when it drops.

Lets hear those opinions.

AmpdMoto

Check Me Out on Youtube
Aug 28, 2015
I ride a
Harley Davidson VRod
First let me start with saying the Hero 5 is not a great camera for motovlogging. I would go hero 4 black/silver or hero 3+ black.

I own a drift, hero 4 black, and a sony action cam. All are great but it really comes down to what you want out of a camera.

Drift is the best if you want simplicity and don't mind a side mount angle although a motovlogger named Sam Smith has his drift chin mounted.

Your comment about night time is incorrect at least with the hero 4 line that is. I can get great footage at night with my gopro as long as I have the settings changed correctly. The hero 4 will even auto adjust into low light mode and adjust frame rate automatically while recording to make night footage better.

Gopro splits the clips up as well when recording for long periods but when gopro splits it is seamless so when editing you don't lose anything when putting the clips together where the drift actually loses a few seconds.

I personally prefer GoPro but that's just my opinion.

Reactions: ScootWook

ScootWook

Wannabie Member
Aug 31, 2016
I ride a
2013 Kawasaki ZX6R
First let me start with saying the Hero 5 is not a great camera for motovlogging. I would go hero 4 black/silver or hero 3+ black.

I own a drift, hero 4 black, and a sony action cam. All are great but it really comes down to what you want out of a camera.

Drift is the best if you want simplicity and don't mind a side mount angle although a motovlogger named Sam Smith has his drift chin mounted.

Your comment about night time is incorrect at least with the hero 4 line that is. I can get great footage at night with my gopro as long as I have the settings changed correctly. The hero 4 will even auto adjust into low light mode and adjust frame rate automatically while recording to make night footage better.

Gopro splits the clips up as well when recording for long periods but when gopro splits it is seamless so when editing you don't lose anything when putting the clips together where the drift actually loses a few seconds.

I personally prefer GoPro but that's just my opinion.

Hmmmm chin mount you say....might need to look this up, didnt think it was possible.

I still think nightmode is better on a Drift, personal preference I guess!

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
The only people who think the GoPro is a better helmet cam are the people who don't own a drift. ;):p

I've done numerous vids mentioning my thoughts on which I think is a better helmet cam.

The only GoPro that appeals now is the session.

Marbro_za

Dan's princess
Mar 13, 2014
I ride a
Yamaha fz6
Depends on the mounting point.

Gopro works on the chin and bars, But for everything else, Drift

As for quality, its sooo close now, its up to personal pref

ScootWook

Wannabie Member
Aug 31, 2016
I ride a
2013 Kawasaki ZX6R
The only people who think the GoPro is a better helmet cam are the people who don't own a drift. ;):p

I've done numerous vids mentioning my thoughts on which I think is a better helmet cam.

The only GoPro that appeals now is the session.

Yeah man I really like the drift....Waiting for that 4k Ghost to come out and see what the features are.

ScootWook

Wannabie Member
Aug 31, 2016
I ride a
2013 Kawasaki ZX6R
Depends on the mounting point.

Gopro works on the chin and bars, But for everything else, Drift

As for quality, its sooo close now, its up to personal pref

I was actually pleasantly surprised with how good Drift videos actually look...its hard to tell them apart in terms of quality. If I happen to get a 4k ghost when it drops, I'll be mounting my ghost S to my bars with a mount. I might be a Drift user from here on out.

AdydasNZ

Wannabie Member
Dec 23, 2016
Northland New Zealand
I ride a
Yamaha R1 2004
Interesting reading, i have two Drifts and just got a Hero 5 black (why.. i am not yet sure..) i am yet to use the Hero and am starting to think "upgrading" this way was a bad idea..

Said before and ill say again, the Go Pro series mounting side of helmet looks SOOO dumb in my opinion compared witht he Drift but image quality "appears" better when i look at others footage when using the Go Pro range (3 silver etc fair comparison to the Drift as it stands GHOST-S).

I got the Hero to use with a Karma Grip for stabilized images - my hope was that was a good enough reason to move to the Go Pro ecosystem... no mic and chin mount up in the air i am starting to think i made a huge mistake... might keep the drifts for side mounting etc and the Go Pro for stabilized shots and "other.."

At the moment my gut feel is Go Pro doesn't suit motovlogs when compared with the Drift.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Having shot with the Hero3, Hero4, and Ghost S I prefer the Drift as my main camera and regulate the GoPros for B-roll footage. I do this for a few reasons. Quality-wise the two are really close, and hard to tell apart once color correction is added in post. The real factor is how much better the Drift is for side views, but it's the rotating lens, and the versatility of the external mic that makes it better as my main-go-to camera.

The Drift's user interface is easier to read and simpler to use when compared to the GoPros'. When I was riding to and back from Canada it was a real hardship trying to read the GoPro's screen when I wanted to switch from film mode to time-lapse, or back. Doing it on the side of the highway was not only dangerous, but a waste of time.

- Wuf

sonicsix

Wannabie Member
Feb 24, 2017
Alabama
I ride a
2016 Honda NM4
My first camera was a simple Midland Action Camera that filmed in 720p. I think I paid $80 for it at Walmart. It served me well although I could not use a microphone with it. It is the camera that filmed my wreck back in 2013. Thank you helmet cam!

I just bought a whole new setup, including a new bike and I went with a Drift Ghost S and a 1080p Midland Action Cam. The Midland was $40 and will be on the handlebar pointing at me and the Drift will be on my helmet. I just couldn't see myself with a boxy GoPro sticking out the side of my helmet and I can't do a chin mount as my Bell Revolver EVO helmet is modular. That was the deciding factor for me. I have nothing against GoPro, I just wish the lens was on the side. So I had a new 2016 Honda NM4 shipped to my local dealer, and had the cameras and all the associated accessories shipped to the house. It is all still arriving as of this post. Once I get everything in and all setup, I will let you know how it goes.

Reactions: HippoDrone

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Welcome to the group! You're in for an addictive ride, both with your new bike and the Ghost. having multiple cameras is all a good way to go as it gives you B-Roll or additional shots to use when editing.

- Wuf

Reactions: HippoDrone

motolover

Rookie
Mar 13, 2016
Slovenia
I ride a
motorcycle
Got a Drift Ghost today for 125€. I am trying to figure out where to install it. Any ideas where it would be better:

-top of the helmet isn't possible (see photo)

so it stays either:
-left side of the helmet
-right side of the helmet

We ride on the right side of the road.
Thanks for the answers!
schuberth-e1-m.jpg

sonicsix

Wannabie Member
Feb 24, 2017
Alabama
I ride a
2016 Honda NM4
I mounted my Sena and rear facing camera on the left side, and my Drift Ghost S on the right side. It works well with my modular helmet.
I don't have enough posts so I can't post pictures yet.

Reactions: motolover

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I'm happy with mine on the right side of my helmet, but you can always order more mounting accessories. The suction cup mount is useful for the windshield, and sides of the bike, and the wrist mount is good for handlebars, mirrors and the center stand when its up for low angle, near the road views.

- Wuf

motolover

Rookie
Mar 13, 2016
Slovenia
I ride a
motorcycle
Is the suction mount dependable? I see I am going to buy many accessories, they are very cheap at the moment.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I've never had a problem with it. Make sure your windshield's clean. Once mounted give it a couple of test yanks and pushes. Don't do it in the rain, or misty weather.

- Wuf

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts