GoPro Media Mod 2 input mic 1 output setup?

Asiong88

Wannabie Member
Jan 9, 2022
I ride a
Honda Rebel 500
So I came across this video:

where he uses the Media Mod to connect a Lav Mic clip it at the bottom of his jacket for the clean exhaust sound. The wire goes inside the jacket up to the collar and then connects to the Media Mod. I was thinking of having the same setup as I dont want to spend $$$ on an external mic yet but was curious if the Media Mod supports a 2 input mic setup and 1 output that is connected to media mod.

The splitter would have 2 input for 2 mics(Lav Mic attached to the bottom of my jacket for exhaust sound & another mic in the helmet for voice audio) and then one output 3.5mm jack that will be connected to the media mod. Does the GoPro Hero 10 / Media Mod support this kind of setup? What would I need to accomplish this if so?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
Hi @Asiong88
Any camera with an audio input socket can do what you want it to do in theory, you'll just need the correct type of 3.5mm splitter to suit your microphones (TRS/TRRS/etc). One problem you will find is that GoPro cameras have active gain control so will automatically adjust the levels within the threshold it is able to help avoid clipping etc, this could mean that you don't get the best results as you would recording them separately, or it could be fine.
Something like this should work, but you need to check your choice of mic is suitable as TRS/TRRS are wired differently:

I have not tried this set up personally though.

Reactions: R-Rated

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
You may find power an issue though as GoPro doesn't send much to the 3.5mm audio jack, if that was an issue, you'd need to look at powered microphones.

• Love

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
I think @PhilTonic made a detailed post on here a good while back where he wired in his Sena to his GoPro using a splitter, it is a very similar thing to this, his was all in helmet so a bit tighter for space IIRC

Adrian

@YouMotorcycle Everywhere
Apr 6, 2018
Toronto, Canada
www.youmotorcycle.com
I ride a
2006 Harley-Davidson V-Rod Night Rod
*covers face in shame*

Yep. You're right.

For $50 CAD (about $40 USD) I got a used Tascam DR-05 and a AudiTechnica lav mic from some film student. That was a few years back though. The same setup would probably run you $80-100 now on the used market with inflation being crazy... maybe you can find something used similar to the deal I got. Sorry, no better tips to contribute :(

• Haha
Reactions: HippoDrone

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts