Gopro Hero 9 3.5mm Mic Adapter Issue

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I got myself the Hero 9, but I have had an issue in testing it on the helmet where the 3.5mm adapter isn't being recognized until I unplug it and plug it back in.

There was a new firmware update a few days ago, and I'm wondering if Gopro screwed up something from the update that allowed the camera to use the 3.5mm adapter? Anyone else having any issues with theri Hero 9?

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I got myself the Hero 9, but I have had an issue in testing it on the helmet where the 3.5mm adapter isn't being recognized until I unplug it and plug it back in.

There was a new firmware update a few days ago, and I'm wondering if Gopro screwed up something from the update that allowed the camera to use the 3.5mm adapter? Anyone else having any issues with theri Hero 9?

I don't use the mic adapter, I use a Media Mod, but thanks for the info on a new firmware upgrade!

-John

Reactions: LoneWolfer

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I always turn my camera on and wait for it to flash up before pressing record, I never use the one touch record as it always causes mic issues

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
I always turn my camera on and wait for it to flash up before pressing record, I never use the one touch record as it always causes mic issues

I haven't even tried the one touch method yet!

It just won't recognize the adapter at first, very frustrating.

I swear that the first few days after doing the software update that made it abel to use the 3.5mm adapter it worked fine. Then I did the new firmware update, two days ago and it has been wonky and after dicking with it for a few I discovered if I just unplug the USB c then plug it back in, it worked again. And when looking a teh settings, it was recognizing the "media Mod" function giving me options for type of mic the whole time.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Yeah, GoPro is really pushing the Media Mod over the Mic Adapter... probably a ton more profit in it for them.

At least they improved upon the Media Mod for the Hero 8 when they came out with the one for the Hero 9... the button integration is far better, and I've had far fewer issues getting the mics to work properly [the Media Mod on the Hero 8 wouldn't record audio if the Hero 8 wasn't SHOVED into it].

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I haven't even tried the one touch method yet!

It just won't recognize the adapter at first, very frustrating.

I swear that the first few days after doing the software update that made it abel to use the 3.5mm adapter it worked fine. Then I did the new firmware update, two days ago and it has been wonky and after dicking with it for a few I discovered if I just unplug the USB c then plug it back in, it worked again. And when looking a teh settings, it was recognizing the "media Mod" function giving me options for type of mic the whole time.
Ahh, I'll not bother with the latest firmware update on it then

BikeFather

Wannabie Member
Apr 11, 2021
I ride a
Harley Davidson Sport Glide
A few weeks ago I was doing some research in buying the mic adapter for my gopro9, and learned from various posts/forums, that is not supported on the 9 anymore. And the only way is to get a media mod. So I've got that, and its been working really well, no issues.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I use the 9 with the mic adaptor, or at least I did until I got the Max lens mod for it, now I use the 8 with the mic adaptor and use the 9 as a secondary :)

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
The 3.5 mm adapter is working pretty well so far.

The audio seems to be good to my ears on my last few onbike vlogs, but that pesky little issue of the camera not aknowledging the adapter is still there.

I now use voice control to test to make sure my mic is working by stating "Gopro, start recording". If nothing happens, I can see the top of my screen through my visor setup, then I know I need to unlug and replug the adapter into the Gopro Hero 9. That has caused a few issues with my secondary camera though a few times because I had voice control turned on for my Session 5 and had already started recording with that little bugger witht he first command to start recording. It then heard my second voice command after unplugging/replugging in the adapter to the 9 and stopped recording as it was obviously confused. Now i just make sure I check it before heading out.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
That's similar to what I do with my Hero 8 when I use it as my main camera. I will record a 3s test clip and play it back to ensure it's recording audio, then fire up the rest of the cameras and go. On the Hero 9, when you install a Media Mod it adds an audio meter to the bottom of the rear screen, so you know it's picking up audio... although you have to make sure the mic is plugged in fully [which burned me on a recent ride].

-John

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
On the Hero 9, when you install a Media Mod it adds an audio meter to the bottom of the rear screen, so you know it's picking up audio... although you have to make sure the mic is plugged in fully [which burned me on a recent ride].

-John

They need to add that audio meter for use with the 3.5 mm adapter! Or maybe they have and I am just not using it correctly. That is very plausable.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
They need to add that audio meter for use with the 3.5 mm adapter! Or maybe they have and I am just not using it correctly. That is very plausable.

AFAIK, it's only shown if you have a Media Mod attached. You may check to see if you have the latest firmware, which got the Hero 9 to work with the Mic Adapter.

Beware though, I bungled up almost an hour's worth of footage the other day [out of 3.5h] by apparently not having my external mic plugged in all the way when I made Stop #1 for a battery swap. The audio is unusable if I'm moving. I got SUPER LUCKY in that I didn't really talk much during that time except for when I was stopped next to a tow truck, so I am whipping it up into a music section [not @HippoDrone -approved ;) ] for an upcoming video.

Apparently, when I first set off on my ride, it was fine, and after I stopped to swap batteries a 2nd time, I got it right, and the audio the rest of the way home was fine.

-John

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts