General moaning and rants about stuff that happens

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I did briefly consider making a video about this, but I think my channel does not need that much rants and I will make a thread here instead. Maybe it will make someone else explode too, with resurrecting similar memories.

We all have had camera trouble, with losing footage and there are several threads about that. What happened to me did not quite fit under any of the ones I found though. I still have all the footage. I have the project files and I will continue editing the video, so nothing was lost, but time and some nerve cells.
I went to an event and recorded a lot of footage. Like, a lot, compared to how much I usually record. The curse of having more than one camera, that I am beginning to understand more and more. It has not happened before, that I return from one day event, with close to 100GB of footage. Surely most of this will not end up in the edit, but I still need to review it all.
I hatched some new ideas, I want to try out, when editing, so on one evening I started. 4h later I already had more than 30 seconds edited. Couple days later, this Saturday, to be precise, I decided to continue. However I ran out of 360 footage, I had converted to the format, my editing software can consume. So, going over what I had achieved that far already and seeing there is nothing big to fix, I rebooted the PC and proceeded to boot in to Windows, because the insta360 studio is not yet supported under Linux and these rare occasions, I still need to use the dreaded operating system by smallest and softest company of the world. You can imagine my surprise, when I was presented with texts about windows doing diagnostics and trying to repair itself, after which a joyful notice appeared, that nothing can be done, and I should probably bin my PC.
My small lonesome IT wizardry string of dna activated and I tried to recover the system. Not files, because I do not really keep anything vital on operating system disks\partitions. But I wanted to get it working quick. But because I do not have an internet cable, that could reach the PC, it was unable to connect to the cloud, to download required files for repairing itself. Not to worry, I dug up an empty dvd (to anyone young here, DVD is an ancient way of storing data, used ages ago) and used my laptop to burn windows installation disk. I inserted it in to the PC, after which the dvd-rom made very surprised sounds, about being disturbed after so many years of being idle, and decided it was not feeling like cooperating. I then proceeded to attempt the same, with USB stick. The result was still not repairing the system, because that failed on all levels, but I had to reinstall the whole operating system from scratch.
Right. Now to refresh my memory, and get back the rhythm of the already made part of the edit, and then still try to get some clips converted. But wait, installing Windows has replaced the boot manager and my Linux partition is no longer listed. I made some noises to express my happiness. My neighbors now probably think I keep tigers indoors. Re-installed GRUB boot manager and listed the necessary options. Everything seems to be working now. I converted few of the clips and discovered that I had already spent better part of the day for all of this, when I only thought to spend an hour or maybe two tops.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Dude, that's PAINFUL! Sorry that happened. I have not had that happen because my laptop runs the "most tiny and soft" OS only, but I'd be HOT!

As for storage... my ride footage from Saturday [3 cameras, one of which is 360] is 129GB, not including the original .360 files from my GoPro Max [those are stored on another drive].

I've had several recent rides using all 3 cameras, but they recorded 3-4 hours of footage each, so a total of about 350GB [still not including the original .360 files].

I'm currently playing "storage tetris", what with keeping the files used in current video editing projects on an external 1TB SSD, and the rest go on 2 external HDDs.

I hope you get it sorted out quickly!

-John

• Wow
Reactions: Theodor

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Wow, It seems I am only tipping my toe in to the dark depth of footage consumed space :eek:

Yeah, I am a bit of an outlier though, and like to make my life difficult, so I use a half helmet [hard to get audio], record my entire ride [usually 1-4 hours] instead of start/stop recording when I want to talk, and use Davinci Resolve, which is not the world's easiest-to-use video editing software.

As for storage, figure another 30-35GB per hour of 360 footage, so a 3.5 hour ride has almost 100GB of original .360 files to go with it, so around 350GB total.

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Arghhhh that sounds a nightmare. I am not super computer savvy, so thankfully have a mate who sorts out all my PC issues.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
That’s a nightmare. Sorry you had to go through that, but hopefully you jut need to walk away, for a day or so, and get back on that horse.

I once had a student who was shooting his thesis animation film (back when things were shot on real film). Three hours into his session he looked up and realized the shutter on the camera had been closed the whole time. It was a 3 minute film so he had anywhere from 1500 - 3000 drawings/animation cels to shoot. Walking out of the camera room he picked up a stool, smashed it to pieces, then went back in to start shooting all over again.

Sometimes you just have to vent.

- Wolf

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Smashing stuff to pieces is actually a good way of venting. But that usually comes with a mess, which someone needs to clean up. Shooting range or training grenades are a nice option too, but a tad more costly.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
@Theodor I love the description of what a DVD is.

I found 3.5 floppy the other day while digging through stuff. My mind was captivated by all the information it might still hold.

I love the meme where some kid says to the adult, "Hey, you 3D printed the save icon!"

:D

-John

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
@Theodor I love the description of what a DVD is.

I found 3.5 floppy the other day while digging through stuff. My mind was captivated by all the information it might still hold.

I have trays full of 3.5" floppies in my closet. Unfortunately I have no way to read them, none of my computers have a 3.5" disk drive! :D

I should probably just throw them out, lol.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I have trays full of 3.5" floppies in my closet. Unfortunately I have no way to read them, none of my computers have a 3.5" disk drive! :D

I should probably just throw them out, lol.

If you throw them out then all our tech secrets from the late 80s may fall into the wrong hands. Remember what the Libyans did to Doc Brown?

1621907917391.jpg

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts