GDPR and Car Number Plates - Could kill moto-vlogging?

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
If you are not sure what GDPR is then you really need to have a read about it!

I'm trying to find out if car number plates would be classed as personal information. I'm not 100% sure but I think it will be! I need to find a VALID source to back it up.

However, in my research for the UK (presume EU) - As far as I can tell, 'vehicle cameras' will not be governed by the same GDPR rules for CCTV cameras.

My concern is - If you are uploading footage from the street, for 99% of us, we will be sharing number plates to YouTube blah blah.

If this is the case, quite frankly this could cause BIG issues for the vlogging world!

Any thoughts?

Reactions: Mr. G

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
You can't identify a person by their number plate, so I can't see it being an issue. Only thing it could be is a benefit as if we don't have permission to film someone's number plate then it couldn't be used as evidence against that person if they were speeding etc which would mean we'd not need to blur out folks plates on spirited rides! :)

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
You can't identify a person by their number plate,

You are right but that isn't the point, I think.

With GDPR - They are classing an IP address as personal information even though a 'public' viewed IP rarely shows more than a rough location blah blah

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Who does the GDPR affect?
The GDPR not only applies to organisations located within the EU but it will also apply to organisations located outside of the EU if they offer goods or services to, or monitor the behaviour of, EU data subjects. It applies to all companies processing and holding the personal data of data subjects residing in the European Union, regardless of the company’s location.
A motovlogger isn't an organisation, so I don't think it would apply. Motovloggers also do not process or utilise any personal data, the number plate is anonymous.
What constitutes personal data?
Any information related to a natural person or ‘Data Subject’, that can be used to directly or indirectly identify the person. It can be anything from a name, a photo, an email address, bank details, posts on social networking websites, medical information, or a computer IP address.
You can't identify a person from a numberplate, anyone could be driving the vehicle.

As an expansion, would you say Google Maps falls foul?

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Well, I can see pros and cons of GDPR. Pro, right to privacy is always good. Con - it can be a headache! There are oh so many cameras such as security, traffic, etc.

The question as it pertains to us comes down to, "Whose property is the license plate?" Technically, a tag here in my part of the world is the Government's property. They can change it and they can take it away. For example, when the state redoes their numeration or even color scheme, we have to surrender the old tag.

Then some states require the tags to stay with the car when trading, so that is not really personal property.

Yes, some unscrupulous person can look up tag information but that data is only supposed to be accessed by LEO and other folks that pass checks to run that information. They are not supposed to be running tags willy nilly without cause.

BUT

We know YouTube makes its own rules. They could prohibit us from posting footage showing plates. Then we counter with software that blurs tags and the tech companies make money.

Personally, I am thinking of changing my appearance to a Guy Fawkes mask. Maybe change my name to Johhny Generic too.

Now just for giggles, I am sitting in a Doctor waiting room and some old businessman is dictating to his phone while waiting. I guess he does not give a care about privacy.:eek:

Reactions: dandoolittle

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
@HippoDrone the part about photo rings a bell. I recall being in NYC and there was a park where some filming was taking place. There were signs posted that explained by being present in the area you gave consent.

So maybe we need a vest that reads similar while riding?

Also, I sent you a clip of Attorney using his time waiting to handle legal affairs.

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
As an expansion, would you say Google Maps falls foul?

That I don't think we have an issue at all - With motovlog, our map is user-generated where members who normally use an Alias isn't classed as personal data. Its more the point the MAP we've used for years (Weem) is user submitted by choice... and we don't use that data for anything either.

Also - I will make a thread about how we deal with GDPR for this site as well. I've checked and we cannot personally ID anyone. I spot checked the email you willingly provided for this site and it doesn't show anything 'persona' so sadly I won't be finding you on Facebook to look at your beach photos (everyone does that right?)

Going off on here ha

We don't share data with any third party unless people sign up via a social network but we rarely email and if we do, its only related to this site and this site alone... We don't promote anyone else.

We only use IP address to block spammers or hackers which is rare

Anyway, back to the number plates ha

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
How would TV news be able to record live vids as well, they wouldn't be able to blur every plate, what about tv companies filming at airports surely showing someone's luggage with a tag on it would also fall foul?

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
How would TV news be able to record live vids as well, they wouldn't be able to blur every plate, what about tv companies filming at airports surely showing someone's luggage with a tag on it would also fall foul?

Here in the states, "live" is not really live in that there is supposed to be a delay. Thank you Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake...

That way someone in the station can flip a switch...with a delay and some fast tech then they could process the footage to blur tags.

But our friends at YouTube have been promoting going live so I guess we could technically broadcast something on our own channels that might run afoul.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
there is often news articles of motorcyclists incriminating themselves with their own footage in the UK, so quite possibly it could be something cracked down on!

BeardGiant

The Bearded Giant
Apr 4, 2018
Oregon, USA
I ride a
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe
How soon is this taking effect in the UK? I wouldn't be surprised we have some privacy regulations here in the US after this Facebook and Cambridge deal happened.

Reactions: R-Rated

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Are people really that stupid that they think information inst easily obtained by those who want it?

If you put your information into a form do you really think its not saved anywhere.

I know we have put faith in the regulators that they keep this safe, however all the calls from Indian scammers and telemarketers show this isn't the case.

If you are really concerned that your number plate is being shown then the only logical reason is you are doing something wrong.

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
How soon is this taking effect in the UK? I wouldn't be surprised we have some privacy regulations here in the US after this Facebook and Cambridge deal happened.

25th of May 2018 -

We've done stuff for the business and isn't that bad really.

Its more

What personal data does a business have
Do they need it
What do they do with it
How secure is it

Data protection and data that can ID people without them knowing or wanting too

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
25th of May 2018 -

We've done stuff for the business and isn't that bad really.

Its more

What personal data does a business have
Do they need it
What do they do with it
How secure is it

Data protection and data that can ID people without them knowing or wanting too

So is there a government rep/agency that is collecting or is it through something like ICANN?

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
So is there a government rep/agency that is collecting or is it through something like ICANN?

It’s a EU mainly and the fines are stupid / something like this

There are two tiers of administrative fines that can be levied:

1) Up to €10 million, or 2% annual global turnover – whichever is higher.
2) Up to €20 million, or 4% annual global turnover – whichever is higher.

Thankfully this site isn’t a business and even though I run a marketing business, I don’t really promote the site like a client... it’s my hobby as such.

The adverts on here pay for the hosting and software don’t reallg make a profit ha - don’t want to either, it’s for fun for me.

Gdpr is very serious against data that can be used to personally ID someone.

Which also has got me thinking about faces in vlogs ha - more if someone in a video doesn’t actually know aka no permission

In the Uk we can record anywhere public and no-one can do a thing about it, even the police can’t stop you

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Basically it is nothing new. There are only slight changes, to the regulations, that were in affect before. The reason this has been blown up, is the size of fines, and "the right to be forgotten"
By my understanding, having video of a vehicle driving around, is not sensitive data, as long as it is not visible, who is in the vehicle.
Filming people, on the street, for example, is sensitive data even, if their faces are not visible. People can be recognized by posture, outfit etc. So is someones voice. So basically, you'd need a written consent from everyone, you have been filming. If you are filming in a public place, it needs to be clearly understandable, well before ending up in the video, that filming is taking place. So one could easily avoid it.
The purpose behind this is to limit marketing to people, who have used your companies services. I have serious doubt, that governments would have enough labor force to go after every youtuber. Big corporations are the targets here. And fining them would actually pay off, as the fines are calculated by whole corporation revenue. Say branch 83, in corp A makes a mistake. Then the whole revenue of A is the basis for calculating the fine.
Now if I don't make any income, with the video, they can ask me to take down the video, based on someones complaint. Sure. But they would not initiate the investigation, without a complaint. Don't forget that countries are really like companies, and it's all about how and where to use the money.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts