Flying Drone While Out On Bike

Matt Leech

What chicken strips?
Jul 17, 2017
Sheffield
I ride a
BMW F800 GT
Went out for a blast through the Peak District last night and took my drone along for the ride.

Stopped off at a parking spot near Ladybower Reservoir and captured some great footage.

This is a still from the video (downscaled for upload to website):

Ladybower.jpg

Toma Rider

Hailing from Japan
Jun 7, 2017
Miyazaki Japan
I ride a
Kawasaki Ninja 400R
Hey Matt nice shot! Could you tell me more about your drone? I've been thinking about looking into one as well! How much did it cost and is the camera included? Is it difficult to fly? How are you thinking about incorporating your drone footage into your videos?

Matt Leech

What chicken strips?
Jul 17, 2017
Sheffield
I ride a
BMW F800 GT
@Toma Rider: :eek: Ooh, lots of questions!

The drone is a DJI Mavic Pro: http://www.dji.com/mavic

I spent a while comparing it to the GoPro Karma, and in the end it was an easy decision to go for the Mavic. I paid about £1,400 for the Fly More bundle which includes two additional batteries (and I've bought another since), a perfect-fit carry case, extra props, a car charger and a multi-battery charger. The price varies greatly from region to region, so check out your own country's DJI store. The standard bundle is £1,000 in the UK and $1,000 in the US.

It's dead easy to fly and has various sensors that help to avoid collisions, but they're not fool proof.

The 4k camera is included and its gimbal stabilisation is excellent. I tend to film in 1080 60p so that the footage matches up with my Drift cameras; that also answers your question as to whether I'll be incorporating the footage into my moto videos. I've done a couple of experiments with 'active tracking' while taking the bike around country lanes, but I haven't uploaded anything yet. It also live streams.

I've had mine up to 46mph with a tail wind. Flight time is up to 27 mins per battery, but I stay safe and make sure there's always plenty of battery for it to return home to me, so 20 mins is sensible and plenty. I've reached a distance of 3.1 miles with a clear line of sight. I love that it folds so small and is so transportable.

I will put up some footage here soon, maybe from the flight where I captured the photo above.

Edit: A few weeks ago I purchased DJI's Goggles too, that puts me in a first-person perspective from the drone...it's ace! and a little freaky :confused:

Last edited:

Toma Rider

Hailing from Japan
Jun 7, 2017
Miyazaki Japan
I ride a
Kawasaki Ninja 400R
@Toma Rider: :eek: Ooh, lots of questions!

The drone is a DJI Mavic Pro: http://www.dji.com/mavic

I spent a while comparing it to the GoPro Karma, and in the end it was an easy decision to go for the Mavic. I paid about £1,400 for the Fly More bundle which includes two additional batteries (and I've bought another since), a perfect-fit carry case, extra props, a car charger and a multi-battery charger. The price varies greatly from region to region, so check out your own country's DJI store. The standard bundle is £1,000 in the UK and $1,000 in the US.

It's dead easy to fly and has various sensors that help to avoid collisions, but they're not fool proof.

The 4k camera is included and its gimbal stabilisation is excellent. I tend to film in 1080 60p so that the footage matches up with my Drift cameras; that also answers your question as to whether I'll be incorporating the footage into my moto videos. I've done a couple of experiments with 'active tracking' while taking the bike around country lanes, but I haven't uploaded anything yet. It also live streams.

I've had mine up to 46mph with a tail wind. Flight time is up to 27 mins per battery, but I stay safe and make sure there's always plenty of battery for it to return home to me, so 20 mins is sensible and plenty. I've reached a distance of 3.1 miles with a clear line of sight. I love that it folds so small and is so transportable.

I will put up some footage here soon, maybe from the flight where I captured the photo above.

Edit: A few weeks ago I purchased DJI's Goggles too, that puts me in a first-person perspective from the drone...it's ace! and a little freaky :confused:
The drone can fly 3.1 miles from you?!!!! Holy hell! What's it's altitude range? Were you scared flying it 3 miles away? does it refuse to go out of antenna range or can you push it so far out it's lost? This thing sounds awesome thanks for all of the info!

Matt Leech

What chicken strips?
Jul 17, 2017
Sheffield
I ride a
BMW F800 GT
The drone has a built-in altitude restriction of 500 metres, but this can be hacked.

The photo here shows the Mavic more than one mile up.

upload_2017-8-17_12-39-58.png

Taking the drone to 3 miles is a worry, but I wanted to get close to a wind farm that I could see in the distance. As responsible flyers we're supposed to keep the drone in visual range...pah, that's no fun!

It will go out of transmission range, and if it stays out of range for more than ten seconds it will return to home using GPS automatically. There are caveats, do so at your own drone and wallet's risk :confused:

I'm more careful these days because this is my second one, I lost the first in very high winds and low cloud/fog. I could see about 50ft into the air and at ground level there was no wind. I thought I'd get the drone up above the cloud for some spectacular breakthrough-the-cloud footage. Unfortunately, at about 200ft the wind must have been about 60mph. No matter how much throttle I applied, the drone kept drifting farther away. At two miles distance the drone was near a tree-covered mountain and I lost signal. It would not have been able to return to home due to the wind, and when I went there later that day, the search was fruitless. I didn't expect to find it, I knew that even after I lost signal the drone was probably still trying to rth (return to home), and so would have ended up nowhere near its last known position. I learned my lesson, and Kitty now has to give the go-ahead for all flights; she's more sensible than me. Coincidentally, @Toma Rider, it was in Hakone, Kanagawa.

Toma Rider

Hailing from Japan
Jun 7, 2017
Miyazaki Japan
I ride a
Kawasaki Ninja 400R
The drone has a built-in altitude restriction of 500 metres, but this can be hacked.

The photo here shows the Mavic more than one mile up.

View attachment 2679

Taking the drone to 3 miles is a worry, but I wanted to get close to a wind farm that I could see in the distance. As responsible flyers we're supposed to keep the drone in visual range...pah, that's no fun!

It will go out of transmission range, and if it stays out of range for more than ten seconds it will return to home using GPS automatically. There are caveats, do so at your own drone and wallet's risk :confused:

I'm more careful these days because this is my second one, I lost the first in very high winds and low cloud/fog. I could see about 50ft into the air and at ground level there was no wind. I thought I'd get the drone up above the cloud for some spectacular breakthrough-the-cloud footage. Unfortunately, at about 200ft the wind must have been about 60mph. No matter how much throttle I applied, the drone kept drifting farther away. At two miles distance the drone was near a tree-covered mountain and I lost signal. It would not have been able to return to home due to the wind, and when I went there later that day, the search was fruitless. I didn't expect to find it, I knew that even after I lost signal the drone was probably still trying to rth (return to home), and so would have ended up nowhere near its last known position. I learned my lesson, and Kitty now has to give the go-ahead for all flights; she's more sensible than me. Coincidentally, @Toma Rider, it was in Hakone, Kanagawa.
Shall I schedule a trip to Kanagawa? lol actually if someone found it chances are they brought it to a police station because that's what people in Japan do when they find lost items :D That's too bad though! These drones are sounding more and more enticing after every post!

Reactions: Matt Leech

Matt Leech

What chicken strips?
Jul 17, 2017
Sheffield
I ride a
BMW F800 GT
chances are they brought it to a police station

I did find the local police substation at the time intending to go in, but our connection bus was due so we figured that we'd get in touch by email at a later time. Unfortunately, I've never been able to find a way to contact that station directly. Any suggestions?

Panotaker

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Austin, Texas
I ride a
2008 Yamaha FJR-1300
I got a couple of Quadcopters too. I have a a Phantom 3 Pro, and a Mavic Pro. Here is my post popular video. I shot this one with my Phantom 3 pro a few years ago.

Panotaker

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Austin, Texas
I ride a
2008 Yamaha FJR-1300
Yeah, I sure am. I haven't been on that forum in a while though, since I quit upgrading the firmware on the Mavic.

Matt Leech

What chicken strips?
Jul 17, 2017
Sheffield
I ride a
BMW F800 GT
Kitty and I did our letter 'n' (nearby) for Sunny Bear yesterday. it was of Jodrell Bank. Got approach video from the bike, photos while we were there, and finished with a drone shot from a couple of miles away (can't get too close, it's a radio-free area).

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
Just googled that place. Looks insane, didn't even know the UK had something like that!

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts