External Battery on Helmet - Waterproofing

CVentures

Rookie Rider
Aug 28, 2020
Maine
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Beta 300RR
Curious if there is a product that anyone can think of , i have a small battery pack on helmet you can see below.
I’m a bit concerned where the MicroUSB goes into it for normal night charging being exposed to the elements. Along with the USB thats plugged in. Maybe I shouldn’t worry about, curious your thoughts on it.
1B1769BE-6BFC-4849-89EB-35A2290CF629.jpeg

Teh Purp

Friendly Neighbourhood Idiot
Aug 9, 2020
SCOTLAND!
I ride a
SFV650, NC700x, anything im given
if its a waterproof battery you could probably get one of the list of things that seal things up (sugru, heard of blutac being used, theres some ear plug putty stuff that apparently works just to name a few). but if the unit itself isnt sealed id just take it off in any bad weather, cos they hold a ton of power, and if rain does a number on it and shorts the cells out it can potentialy explode. its right nedt to your face.

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
Honda CBR1100XX and Buel XB9R Custom
Put a longer cable on it and put it in your jacket pocket...

Then all you need to do is worry about sealing the USB into the camera. I'm currently playing with a few simple ideas for the hero 8.

Reactions: Teh Purp

Meifesto

L Plate Member
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I have mine in my jacket indeed.
Always waterproof ;)

But i know @HippoDrone has his on his helmet. Although i believe with the inserts facing down, so no water can get in them.

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
In the pocket of the jacket as Scottish weather really makes adhesive work for its price tag so always apprehensive battery pack would fall off.

Reactions: Teh Purp

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
I have mine in my jacket indeed.
Always waterproof ;)

But i know @HippoDrone has his on his helmet. Although i believe with the inserts facing down, so no water can get in them.
I stopped using them when I stopped using my GoPro Hero 5 Sessions as you can't charge and record at the same time on the 8

Reactions: HRMV

Teh Purp

Friendly Neighbourhood Idiot
Aug 9, 2020
SCOTLAND!
I ride a
SFV650, NC700x, anything im given
Wonder they they stopped doing that Hippo, i believe you’d an still charge and record on the hero 7
I'd imagine it's the same reason they changed the battery slightly, but USB c would still be able to provide more than enough power for that if its attached to a comparable quick charging port.

It's probably got more to do with them making it a feature in the 9 or 10.

Meifesto

L Plate Member
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Most likely to stopped doing it to force people to buy more batteries (and keep replacing them in the long run) and thus more profit...

Main reason why i am not buying a new gopro is that you can't record and charge at the same time.
Otherwise i most likely already had one xD

Reactions: HRMV and HippoDrone

Top Posters Past 30 days

Winners Video

Latest posts