Status
Not open for further replies.

RideXRide

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Radford, VA
I ride a
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 636
My insurance company recently declared my bike totaled. Since then I have been doing research on getting a new bike, hopefully in May 2012 :mrgreen:. One of the more controversial topics seems to be engine break-in; the two predominant methods being to follow the owners manual or to follow the "MotoMan" method (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm). By alternating between hard acceleration and deceleration for the first ~200 miles, the "MotoMan" method claims it will improve stock horse power and that following the owners manual will reduce stock horse power. So, what did you do to break-in your engine and what would you recommend?

gpzDave

Wannabie Member
Sep 25, 2011
Fife, Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Speed Four & Honda FES125
The best advice is to follow manufacturers instructions, they have designed it from the ground up, from initial computer design through to choosing the metal grades to construct the engine from. They know best.

I'm not sure that I would go for 'hard acceleration' but you certainly want to avoid sitting at a constant speed for long when breaking the engine in. A good way to break it in is by constantly alternating speed/engine-revs/throttle-opening, for example in town or twisty country road. It's sitting at the same speed when breaking in that will not help the engine, as it isn't under load it can 'glaze' the cylinder surface which is not something you want.

JollyRoger

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Ottawa
I ride a
2002 R6
so much debate/discussion on this never-ending topic. Some find hard break ins give more power but less longevity, others think otherwise. I assume there will be marginal difference and to just follow the manufacturer's suggestions like Dave said.

downshift83

Wannabie Member
Oct 23, 2011
I ride a
2010 R1 up on 1
...I'm on hard break-in #3...horse power isn't what the overall goal should be, it's the longevity of the bike...few things that ive noticed is that i've never had any major engine malfunctions. I made it 24k on my zx6 before it's abrupt demise, and 14K on the zx10...as long as you keep up on your maintenance your bike will continue to run beast.

XXX526

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Missouri
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
Simple answer - Who is going to honor your warranty claim, the Manufacturer or Moto-Man?

ToastToGo

Wannabie Member
Jul 22, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Honda SuperHawk
I do a little bit of both. Some slight aggressive roll-ons/offs every once in a while. But try to stay within manufacturer recommendations. As long as you don't act like you're racing Moto GP right out of the crate, I'm sure you're fine. But yeah, maintenance is key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO