DaVinci Resolve output settings?

UncleL

Uncle LongBeard
Feb 29, 2020
Midlands, UK
I ride a
HD, W800, RE
I have been outputting 1080p/60fps in MOV format from Resolve, with quality set to 30,000 KBPS. The output looks good, even on YouTube (IMO). I will try MP4 next time and see what it looks like on YT as well.

-John
The whole point is that YT is again recompressing it, so the quality of your export needs to be as good as possible but also needs to have a reasonable size for upload. If your export has any artifacts - the YT recompression will make it much worse, so you should avoid it at all cost. And TBH I found the quality vs size balance the best when exporting from Resolve with the best possible codec (DNxHR my case) and recompressing it with Handbrake. I also don't see a point of using 60fps on Youtube. It's much better to upload 1440p/30 than 1080/60 when it comes to codecs and quality.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I also don't see a point of using 60fps on Youtube. It's much better to upload 1440p/30 than 1080/60 when it comes to codecs and quality.
I've filmed all of my motovlogs so far in 1080p/60 but I'm planning to toy around this weekend with 1440p/30 just to see if I like it better or not. You're post just made me even more curious to see how it turns out!

Dewey316

Wannabie Member
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
I did some tests in MP4, and it looks somewhat better - mostly less artifacting around my watermark. I am continuing to run tests, but am currently re-rendering my videos that are waiting to be posted to YouTube.

The MP4 files are slightly smaller than MOV, FWIW.

-John
I had noticed one of my video's looked a ton better than the rest, I went back and looked at the file size and output settings. Setting it to MP4 and best quality made a noticeable difference. The output size was pretty big, over 3gb for an 8 minute video, but compared to ones that were done with a bit-rate limit set, or the youtube default in davinci, the quality difference even after being uploaded and encoded by youtube was noticeable. I now know what I need to make my default, and just deal with the large file size and upload time.

Drakhen99

L Plate Member
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I had noticed one of my video's looked a ton better than the rest, I went back and looked at the file size and output settings. Setting it to MP4 and best quality made a noticeable difference. The output size was pretty big, over 3gb for an 8 minute video, but compared to ones that were done with a bit-rate limit set, or the youtube default in davinci, the quality difference even after being uploaded and encoded by youtube was noticeable. I now know what I need to make my default, and just deal with the large file size and upload time.
Yeah, I may try this ... I was storage-limited when I started out, but have since acquired a 4TB drive and an 8TB drive, so I have Resolve set to pull footage from the 4TB drive and render it (and the cache) to the 8TB drive, and I'll copy archives to the 8TB drive. If I get to the point where the 8TB is getting too full, it's time to delete old footage, I think.

-John

Drakhen99

L Plate Member
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Update: I am using 80,000kbps output setting in Resolve, and the resulting videos still look pretty good on YouTube, so that's a plus!

My most recent upload was a 19m vlog that was 11.5gb in size. Took quite a bit for it to upload and process in YT :D

-John

Reactions: HRMV

UncleL

Uncle LongBeard
Feb 29, 2020
Midlands, UK
I ride a
HD, W800, RE
Update: I am using 80,000kbps output setting in Resolve, and the resulting videos still look pretty good on YouTube, so that's a plus!

My most recent upload was a 19m vlog that was 11.5gb in size. Took quite a bit for it to upload and process in YT :D

-John
If you render it again in Handbrake you can get down to 3GB without visible quality loss. And if you export best quality from Davinci and then recompress it again in Handbrake you could possibly get 4-5GB with better quality than right now. Just sayin as it could be the same time to recompress as to upload (depends if you have fast internet or not)

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
I'm on Davinci Resolve - great program, I'll see what my settings are later, I was a complete noob when I first started my YT. Only recently discovered why my 1080hd videos still looked crap - been spending my last two years WATCHING in 480 hahahahah.
I did the same, and almost unsubbed from some quality channels because of it.

Drakhen99

L Plate Member
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
If you render it again in Handbrake you can get down to 3GB without visible quality loss. And if you export best quality from Davinci and then recompress it again in Handbrake you could possibly get 4-5GB with better quality than right now. Just sayin as it could be the same time to recompress as to upload (depends if you have fast internet or not)
My internet is usually OK. That 11.5gb file took maybe an hour to upload? I just hit upload and walked away and had lunch and when I came back it was done, so not really an imposition. I'll have to do some recompresses in Handbrake and check out the results. I've mentioned elsewhere that I have plenty of external storage on my computer, so I don't really care how big the files are. Heck, the footage from a 2 hour ride with 2 cameras going is close to 80gb, so 11.5 doesn't seem so bad.

I also upload well in advance of when I want the video to be published, to give YT time to do their magic in SD and HD :D

-John

LandyVlad

Modest Genius !
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
I have been outputting 1080p/60fps in MOV format from Resolve, with quality set to 30,000 KBPS. The output looks good, even on YouTube (IMO). I will try MP4 next time and see what it looks like on YT as well.

-John
How'd the test go?
Your export stats are same as mine (1080p, MOV, 30000kbps) though my framerate has been 24 (as recorded)

Has mp4 been of any advantage?

UncleL

Uncle LongBeard
Feb 29, 2020
Midlands, UK
I ride a
HD, W800, RE
Has mp4 been of any advantage?
No, it does not. It doesn't matter what format you upload to YT, it will be reconverted anyway. So as long as your vid looks good on your computer it's fine for YT. The only thing which counts is the resolution/fps of your video.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dewey316 Editing Talk 16
LandyVlad Editing Talk 3