Not open for further replies.

Nikojin

Wannabie Member
Oct 25, 2011
Hollywood, CA
www.nikojin.com
I ride a
2009 Ninja 250R
I recently bought the new Drift HD and mounted it to the left side of my helmet. This has caused two problems for me:

1) I didn't realize the Drift HD recorded .MOV files! I don't own a Mac, so I'm forced to convert them to something useable in Windows (.AVI). I've tried various conversion software every one of them lowers the quality in both video and audio. Then I have to rotate the video 180º, which causes problem #2.

2) Rotating the footage drops the quality again, slightly, from what I can tell.

I'm a total noobcake when it comes to video editing. Short of buying a Mac, do I have any options? Any Drifters here use Windows to edit their vids? I love the quality of the videos when I play them back in QuickTime, but I can't seem to edit them without ruining them.

Thanks for your help!

BrianWest58

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Terre Haute, Indiana
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST1050, KX250 and various other instruments of two wheeled death.
WMM converts the format automatic like. Have been trying out VideoPad and seems to work very well and faster than MovieMaker.
Why would you need to rotate during edit since the lens rotates?

sportyeight

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Illinois
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FZ-07
Nikojin said:
1) I didn't realize the Drift HD recorded .MOV files! I don't own a Mac, so I'm forced to convert them to something useable in Windows (.AVI).

I have a drift. I'm on both Vista and 7 machines, using Windows Live Movie maker (not available on XP).
I've got the k-lite codec pack installed (http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_basic.htm).
Drift files import into Movie Maker just fine for me.

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Currently: 2004 CB 919 - Previous rides - Honda Hornet 600 aka CB599 - Previous: 1999 Honda VTR 250: Previous Honda f4i - Previous: CBR 929 Previous: DRZ400sm: Previous 2006 gsxr 600: Previous 1989 Honda Spada VT250
Nikojin said:
I recently bought the new Drift HD and mounted it to the left side of my helmet. This has caused two problems for me:

1) I didn't realize the Drift HD recorded .MOV files! I don't own a Mac, so I'm forced to convert them to something useable in Windows (.AVI). I've tried various conversion software every one of them lowers the quality in both video and audio. Then I have to rotate the video 180º, which causes problem #2.

2) Rotating the footage drops the quality again, slightly, from what I can tell.

I'm a total noobcake when it comes to video editing. Short of buying a Mac, do I have any options? Any Drifters here use Windows to edit their vids? I love the quality of the videos when I play them back in QuickTime, but I can't seem to edit them without ruining them.

Thanks for your help!

Download Mpegsteamclip

Its free. and will let you convert to AVI. it lets you choose the video opitions for Bit rate and size.

This i found to work flawless for my drift :)

Nikojin

Wannabie Member
Oct 25, 2011
Hollywood, CA
www.nikojin.com
I ride a
2009 Ninja 250R
Why would you need to rotate during edit since the lens rotates?

Just the test vids, really. I guess I should've clarified lol.

Thanks for all the quick responses! This gives me quite a bit to play with, once Battlefield 3 finishes installing :)

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Honda Hornet - With Beast Of A Micron Exhaust
I've never had a problem with drift footage and I'm using pc?

Conrod360

Wannabie Member
Oct 1, 2011
Warrington, Cheshire
I ride a
1990 Honda CBR600F (Jelly Mold)
I use a ContourHD which records in .Mov format and im using windows movie maker. When I import the files, it converts automatically to a .wmv which doesn't seem (to me....a tech noob) to lower the quality, audio etc. Although when I was trying out the Sony Bloggie which records in mp4 format, it wouldn't convert at all??? (in WMM)

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
What happens is, when you open it or import it to WLMM it will show a bar along the bottom (I.e a loading bar) this is the converting time if you film say a 10minute vid be prepared to wait a while, it will convert it, just takes a while.

I record on GoPro HD 960 in R3 mode which is 960 - 30fps and takes a while to upload to WLMM or WMM.

it doesn't effect the editing atall or the picture just changes from MP4 - .WMM.

gpzDave

Wannabie Member
Sep 25, 2011
Fife, Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Speed Four & Honda FES125
Most decent(ish) editing software packages that run on Windows will support .mov files.

If they cost over £30 I think they all will, CyberLink PowerDirector 8 supports them (if you have free 'Apple Quicktime' installed on your computer), not that I especially recommend PD8 over other similar software packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts